Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152

Thread: 7/27 Game Thread: Reds VS Astros

"So Fla Red"

Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Reds VS Astros

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    ???

Making trades like Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez for Majewski, Bray, and Clayton (w/ an A-baller) doesn't build champions nor garner championships.

Participating in trades where the overall talent level is a huge deficit in your column is not a smart approach to longevity in winning.

The correct approach would have meant getting yourself a few more Guardados and waiting for the off-season when you could turn your available assets into maximal future worth. The only way this trade makes the type of sense you are implying is if you think you, as an organization, stand a serious chance of going to the World Series.

I think we've hamstrung future efforts (and championships) for a pipe dream.

(not that I'll cheer any less enthusiastically)
    Prior to 2006, have you been watching this same dormant franchise parade its pitiful cast-off collection of pitching throughout the National League for the last decade?

Hamstrung future chance at "championships" with the Kearns/Lopez move? I know they both get a lot of armchair quartebacking man-love here whenever Maj gives up a run or Clayton makes an out or two but that's taking the oft discussed trade hyperbole it to a new level...

Arroyo/Pena is the trade of the year that has the most impact on the NL this season and might actually propel this left for dead franchise into the postseason for the third time in 26 seasons.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lopez and Kearns are a dime a dozen type players. Both are corner outfielders with only one being above average.

I don't see the big deal about losing them.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    Prior to 2006, have you been watching this same dormant franchise parade its pitiful cast-off collection of pitching throughout the National League for the last decade?

Hamstrung future chance at "championships" with the Kearns/Lopez move? I know they both get a lot of armchair quartebacking man-love here whenever Maj gives up a run or Clayton makes an out or two but that's taking the oft discussed trade hyperbole it to a new level...

Arroyo/Pena is the trade of the year that has the most impact on the NL this season and might actually propel this left for dead franchise into the postseason for the third time in 26 seasons.
    I have not criticized the Pena/Arroyo deal.

You could have used lower-valued minor leaguers to provide veterans who could provide relief at/near the level of whatever Majew/Bray will end up providing THE REMAINDER OF THIS SEASON.

Don't tell me the haul wouldn't have been greater had Krivsky waited until the off-season seeking trades for Kearns and Lopez.

Small-market franchises can't afford to lose trades. Especially when the long-term value could have been much greater for the assets you relinquish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Lopez and Kearns are a dime a dozen type players. Both are corner outfielders with only one being above average.

What was Kearns' rank in NL-outfielders OPS at the time he was traded?

Lopez isn't a corner outfield. He's a 2nd baseman, and a damn good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Lopez, sure. But Kearns? I don't think you can find decent power like that just anywhere.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Some damn fool is going to over pay Lopez. I for one am gladc it will not be the Reds! Kearns can be special but from the impressions I have gathered that spoiled sob would never have achieved that as a Red. The Majik bashing is going to come back and bite alot of Reds fans in the A**, he is a incredibly decent rp and sorry but that was a screaming need for this team. Bray has future closer written all over him and that alone makes me give a HUGE! thumbs up to this deal. It has also created payflex in regards to the chosen one Mr. Denofrio starting next year. Spend the $$$ wisely unlike this seasons debacle of dfa's and yes we are a conteder into the future.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    So you're not the least bit frustrated by the fact that Krivsky may have single-handedly shot any chance at competing in the final months of the season due to this absolute disaster of a trade he's made? He's made the team worse for the stretch run, not better.
    So how would having Lopez, who has hit .211 since the trade with another handfull or errors back help this team exactly? And how would continuing to run Weathers and a flustered Coffey out there every night help this team? I haven't looked up AK's numbers since the trade but unless he's hit 15 homers and had 40 RBI's it wouldn't out weigh the drag created by the first two folks on this list.

So explain to me again how having these folks back would have resulted in the short burst of sucess experienced post trade?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

You do have a vote whether to follow the Reds and enjoy it or follow them and loath it.
    Post of the century, WOY.

Of course people have a right to complain and think the FO/Manager made XYZ bonehead move. People will always dissagree and not like particular team moves. That's what makes this board fun.

But sometimes people's constant focus on the things they don't like while completley ignorning anything good does give the impression to others that failure is the prefered outcome. Some peoples regular posts that seek to minimize anything good a Reds player has done, while going out of their way to focus on how the other team "gave us" the win/sucess does create the impression they aren't really a Reds supporter. Sometimes the constant predictions of doom do give the impression some people are actually expecting disaster and would be more comfortable if it happened sooner rather than later.

My God this board would be dull if we posted nothing but "Wayne's the greatest" or "Jerry can do no wrong". What a horrible miserable place this would be. That is serrious...no sarcasim. But it would be an equally miserable place if all that was focused on was the constant tirades of negativity. And whether people like it or not, if you were from outerspace and read the forum at particular times, you would get the impression that this team is the biggest failure in modern baseball history.

I don't question anybodies "loyalty" to the Reds. I assume everybody here is a fan. If they weren't they are simply here to stir up trouble or to revel in being miserable. Either way is a sick way to exist and those folks tend to get weeded out anyway.

Somebody posted that if we don't make the post season we are no better than any other team this century. How in the world can you say that? If we end up 4th or 5th yes, then that means we imploded from this point on and that would suck. All the predicions of failure here would be right and we'd have to recognize them as being correct and give props to the people that made them.

But if we stay in the chace till the end, and fall short how is that not an improvement over any other year where the season was over before July (or June in some cases). I'm asking serriously, how is that not an improvement? How is that failure? How is that a sign that this ownership/FO is no better than Lidner, OBrian and Allen?

If we continue to stay in the race and fall short in 2007 and beyond then we got big problems. But to go from the missery of the Linder/DanO years to competing till the end under BC/Kriv, in their first year, would be a huge improvement and something to savor and enjoy. If others would find that miserable or unacceptable, it's their right. But I would choose to find enjoyment from the growth over past year.

By the way, I am more excited about the possibility of actually being in post season play. I'm not making the case we should aim for 2nd place. My goal is the division, if not it, the WC.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 07-28-2006 at 07:47 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792

Folks should take it easy on FCB for awhile. It takes bravery and courage to attend a Phillies game and cheer for the visitor. I've done it before, and the heckling was ruthless (especially during the Milton start last year in Philly where he got bombed). FCB might need some moral support before heading in that ballpark

Dude. If he goes in there and does nothing different than say the exact same things he says here, they won't KNOW he's the enemy. In fact, they may ask him to take it easy on the opposition.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    You do have a vote whether to follow the Reds and enjoy it or follow them and loath it.

I already made my choice years ago.
    There you go.

I've been following them for over 40 years, and been very loyal. It's not a "blind" loyalty mind you void of criticism; but simply a dire love for the game and this organization in particular.

I've seen alot of great Red players, and alot of really mediocre to sad Red teams in that time.

If Dick Wagner couldn't destroy my loyalty, then nothing could.

Over the last couple of years, and in many thanks to guys such as yourself woy, I have "softened" my position alot when it comes to the statistical anaylsis that has really caught on, captivated, and got alot of fans involved in the game of baseball. That has been a positive thing.

I've always been interested in stats obviously; but not to the extent that was brought about by guys like James (Baseball Abstract) and others.

But I also see a "negative" side to this involvement also. And when I say that, I do not do so to encourage discouragement of a fan's involvement in statistical analysis. Doors should never be closed.

But what I see on these game threads is that the in-depth level of some fan's analysis of the game, and their usage of al the formulas, equations, etc., has basically taken them to a point that there may never be a level of satisfaction with anything an organization does when constructing a team.

You're always going to find areas to be discontent and complain about. Some are very justified. Others, IMO, are not, and somewhat insignificant.

And I was talking with another RZ poster last night, and he brought up a very good point.... unlike with you woy (and probably some others as well), you do not competely discount/discard the subjective aspect of the game.

I just wanted to inject this this morning.

As far as FCB goes....

The guy's a pessimist.

But he is our pessimist, and God love him.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Do we really have to go over this again?

Lopez and Kearns are 26 years old and were in the top 10 qualifiers in OPS at their respective positions at the time of the trade. Kearns had the 28th highest OPS of any outfielder in MLB. They are good players who would be upgrades for about 20 of the 30 major league teams. That's not "dime a dozen."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?