Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: When it's time to set playoff rosters, what do you do with Homer Bailey?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let him finish the season in AA, then shut him down for the season

109 67.70%
  • Call him up to Cincy and put him in the bullpen down the stretch and in the playoffs

33 20.50%
  • Screw playing it safe! Call him ASAP and get him in the rotation!

19 11.80%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Decide: Homer Bailey in the Reds' pen for September and the playoffs?

You Decide: Homer Bailey in the Reds' pen for September and the playoffs?

Fast-forward a month, and you're at the end of August. The Reds are still in the thick of a playoff chase, and you know that playoff rosters have to be set by August 31st. Meanwhile, Homer Bailey continues to dominate AA batters down in Chattanooga, and the minor league seasons are close to wrapping up.

You remember Francisco Rodriguez in the 2002 playoffs. K-Rod, as we call him, appeared in five regular season games in 2002, totaling 5.2 innings. In the playoffs, he appeared in 11 games, totaling 18.2 innings. When it was all over, K-Rod appeared in 16 games and pitched 24.1 innings for the Angels in 2002 combined in the regular season and playoffs. You also remember that in those 18.2 playoff innings, Rodriguez was a late inning stopper and flame-thrower that none of the Angels' playoff opponents figured out.

You wonder if Homer Bailey could be that same relief stopper and bullpen flame-thrower for the Reds in 2006 that Rodriguez was for the Angels in 2002. If you're Wayne Krivsky, what do you do with Homer Bailey down the stretch?

Do you let Bailey finish the season in Chattanooga and shut him down when the AA season concludes? Or do you bring him up for the final month, get him on a playoff roster by August 31st and utilize him in the same manner that the Angels did with Rodriguez in 2002? Remember, Rodriguez pitched in 16 games, totaling 24.1 innings, so that's a ballpark neighborhood of the workload you'd be looking at for Bailey in a Reds uniform in 2006 under this scenario.

You decide.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You Decide: Homer Bailey in the Reds' pen for September and the playoffs?

No way.
    Go Gators!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

AA is what it's going to be.. Wayne has already stated this!

Not a chance my friend. You let him finish up the regular season in Chattanooga, let him pitch in the playoffs for them and then say great season young man. See you in Spring Training.

I think Homer will never pitch from the pen in the bigs unless he is converted to a closer for some crazy reason.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I'd let him have a taste...

as long as he's "carefully" managed.

Last edited by TheBurn; 07-28-2006 at 01:12 AM.

I sincerely believe that would be a mistake.

IMHO, you don't "test" your young AA phenom at the major league level when you're in the hunt for a spot in the playoffs. He could fail miserably... #1 - because he'd be nervous as all getout and #2 - minor league hitters are a whole different ball game than major league hitters.

Nope, not now; not this season.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

20+ IP of Homer in the pen this year wouldn't be a bad idea at all IMO

AA for the rest of the year. Go to Camp next year with him in the minors, let his performance there determine where he starts next year, AAA or Cincy.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

I wouldn't be against a few starts this season at AAA. Let him have a couple more at AA then move him to AAA if he continues to dominate.

Maybe give him a small cup of coffee and if he pitches awesome, give him a spot on the playoff roster. Who knows, with the lack of scouting, maybe he tears up the playoffs and we win a few games?

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Finish in Chatt this year, playoffs and all.

Start the first month of the season in AAA next year, and if after a couple of starts or 3 he is doing the same thing in Louisville, you get him up here.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

It would be so, so tempting...

I think about KRod....but then I think about Rick Ankiel...

Maybe as a reliever, but not a starter...

Maybe if I trusted my manager enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I think Homer will never pitch from the pen in the bigs unless he is converted to a closer for some crazy reason.
    I have always liked the idea of breaking young starters in the bullpen. A good 1/2 season in middle/long relief seems like a great idea. Allows the kid to work out his jitters in a more controlled environment.

I say absolutely no to a call up this year, and shut him down after his season.

Don't need another Wayne Simpson type story.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?