Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need any PC help?

Need any PC help?

Alright, I've probably said this a couple times, but I am a Sales Representative for Dell. I am also certified technically by the National Computer Science Academy as a Computer Hardware Technician and currently pursuing an Associates in Computer Info. Systems, so I am pretty technically sound when it comes to computers as well.

This is not a personal advertisement, as I would also like to help anyone with technical issues. Didn't see any technical support thread here. So therefore, ask me any question....and I should be able to help!

All I ask, is for a little rep in return!
    Last edited by Rob Dicken; 07-28-2006 at 06:18 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Need any PC help?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dicken
    Alright, I've probably said this a couple times, but I am a Sales Representative for Dell. I am also certified technically by the National Computer Science Academy as a Computer Hardware Technician and currently pursuing an Associates in Computer Info. Systems, so I am pretty technically sound when it comes to computers as well.

This is not a personal advertisement, as I would also like to help anyone with technical issues. Didn't see any technical support thread here. So therefore, ask me any question....and I should be able to help!
    GAC should be PM you in 3...2... I kid!

Anyhoo, good to know. There are threads that pop up from time to time with people asking for help. Just be on the lookout for those as well. There are quite a few of us on here that lend a hand when it's needed.

I myself work for an IT company based in the Cincinnati area. I have a traveling position with them.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    GAC should be PM you in 3...2... I kid!

Anyhoo, good to know. There are threads that pop up from time to time with people asking for help. Just be on the lookout for those as well. There are quite a few of us on here that lend a hand when it's needed.

I myself work for an IT company based in the Cincinnati area. I have a traveling position with them.

I've learned alot from you tech "geeks"! I know how to replace a HD and other internal components, format a computer, etc.

But I do have a question when it comes to virtual memory. I have a very basic understanding of how virtual memory works, and what it really is.

Been reading up here, but it loses me pretty easily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

My daughter has an E Machine. It's only a few months old and really does a good job....

3400 AMD Sempron processor
    40 GB HD
    512 DDR Ram

The last couple of days I've been getting these virtual memory warnings, and where Windows is moving or re-allocating memory usage to meet the need.

Is this from her downloading and adding stuff onto her computer?

She has Sims2 on there, and that thing is a monster. But other then that, she doesn't really have all that much IMO.

She has both AOL and MSN Messenger going.

I also have Spy Sweeper, Norton's Anti-Virus, and Ace Utilities on there.

But overall, I try to keep her computer "cleaned up" as much as possible.

Would increasing the 512 DDR SD Ram help out?
    Last edited by GAC; 07-28-2006 at 08:53 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

How to I get my XP Home machine to see the Drives on my 2 XP Pro machines in my home network. I'm routing over a SMC Barricade and using DHCP, but the XP Home machine is invisible to the other 2 and the other 2 invisible to it.

I've used the network setup "wizard" and it hasn't helped. I've got the Network properties set up the same on all 3 machines.

Pretty bad when I have to lanuch an FTP client to transfer files on my home network!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75
    How to I get my XP Home machine to see the Drives on my 2 XP Pro machines in my home network. I'm routing over a SMC Barricade and using DHCP, but the XP Home machine is invisible to the other 2 and the other 2 invisible to it.

I've used the network setup "wizard" and it hasn't helped. I've got the Network properties set up the same on all 3 machines.

Pretty bad when I have to lanuch an FTP client to transfer files on my home network!
    Right click on the drives < Sharing and Security

Share the drives!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Would increasing the 512 DDR SD Ram help out?
    Increasing memory always helps in the performace of your PC. It's a very good possibility her PC only supports 1GB of memory, but either way it should be plenty to run the things she plans on running.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Increasing memory always helps in the performace of your PC. It's a very good possibility her PC only supports 1GB of memory, but either way it should be plenty to run the things she plans on running.
    Agreed.

512 should be plenty. Check your virtual memory settings. As long as the setting is on "Let Windows manage my swap file" you should be good. I have mine set static. The one thing that could be affecting the virtual memory is your HD space. If she is low on disk space, there may not be enough room for Windows to write a larger swap file.

I'll volunteer my services as well.
    I'm A+ certified and I am studying for network+ exam.

Any problems, fire away. I'm sure one of us can put you in the right direction. Free here at Reds Zone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny-Distefano
    I'll volunteer my services as well.
    I'm A+ certified and I am studying for network+ exam.

Any problems, fire away. I'm sure one of us can put you in the right direction. Free here at Reds Zone!!!
    I need to retake my A+. Went in un-prepared, got some tough questions, and didn't pass the test by like 5 points. Kinda angry by it....but just lets me know that I need to study more before taking it. I do plan on taking it again though!

I did find the NCSA a little harder....and I passed it....so I don't really know what my problem was that day.

It does support 2 GB.

Another question.

I have a new HP with XP. I have been downloading pictures into the My Pictures folder of my house rebuild. I am using a Kodak easy Share digital camera, and HP Photosmart Premier software to edit/save the pictures.

I then go to the My Picture folder, right click on the House Rebuild folder (that has the pics) to send to an email recipient.

I get the normal email message box with..

Subject: Emailing House Rebuild
    Attach: House Rebuild.Ink

Down in the main body it has....

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:
    Shortcut to: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\House Rebuild

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

I then send it.

The email is received, but they can't open any of the attachments. They say they are not there. I have sent them to numerous family members and they all have the same problem.

I have went into my Outlook Express Options and checked everything I can that might be preventing it, but don't see anything that might be the cause.

Any solutions?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

That's awful nice of you Rob.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    It does support 2 GB.

Another question.

I have a new HP with XP. I have been downloading pictures into the My Pictures folder of my house rebuild. I am using a Kodak easy Share digital camera, and HP Photosmart Premier software to edit/save the pictures.

I then go to the My Picture folder, right click on the House Rebuild folder (that has the pics) to send to an email recipient.

I get the normal email message box with..

Subject: Emailing House Rebuild
    Attach: House Rebuild.Ink

Down in the main body it has....

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:
    Shortcut to: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\House Rebuild

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

I then send it.

The email is received, but they can't open any of the attachments. They say they are not there. I have sent them to numerous family members and they all have the same problem.

I have went into my Outlook Express Options and checked everything I can that might be preventing it, but don't see anything that might be the cause.

Any solutions?
    To be safe, open your e-mail first, attach the foloder, then mail it. From what it seems like, you're emailing an icon of the folder. A .ink extension can typical be an icon, so that seems to be what you are sending. It can also be a ShortCut.

How do I get Dell to reimburse me for a known power suppy issue in their 4600s desktop? My power supply went out 1 month after the 1 year warranty expired. Dell knew/knows these power supplies are bad but has refuse to recall them.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    How do I get Dell to reimburse me for a known power suppy issue in their 4600s desktop? My power supply went out 1 month after the 1 year warranty expired. Dell knew/knows these power supplies are bad but has refuse to recall them.
    They wouldn't have a problem replacing it, if you were still under warranty. That's why they urge the extended warranties. In fact, almost ALL consumer reports urge them as well.

If it was a nation-wide spread issue with the 4600s, they would have recalled them. They've done it with laptop batteries and adapters.

Right click on the drives < Sharing and Security

Share the drives!
    Sorry, don't work.

The systems can't even see each other, the XP Pro systems can see the shared drives but neither can see the Shared drive on the XP Home system. The XP Home system can't see either drive on the XP Pro system.

Turn Off Ads?