Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Need any PC help?

Re: Need any PC help?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    The computer worked fine when it had 98.
    I would not go that far. Why do you think I got XP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

From what my sister told me today - the problem originally started with error messages from some of the pre-installed games that came with the computer. Then she started getting all these messages about running disk checks. It all went downhill from there.

I wasn't at the house, but my sister has a friend who is a computer tech. He came over and was on the phone for 2 hrs with Dell trying to correct this problem. Did everything, even tried a computer restore; but again to no avail.
    May be a hard drive problem. If the problem does stem from some preinstalled Dell Game Software, the guy will be more than willing to help.

Let me know how it goes.

Even if you have a warranty from Dell you can't get anyone on the phone who speaks a lick of English. My name is Ben and it took 5 minutes for the moron in India to figure out what I was spelling.

I will never buy another Dell. The thing cooked after 14 months.

I probably will buy the extended warranty, but not from Dell, too many horror stories. I also hope to find a company with a customer service department that happens to be in an English speaking country.

I sat on the phone one day for quite awhile, then the guy came on and said that he had to go take a break or he would get in trouble and that he would call me back. Claimed his computer was going to be automatically shut down to ensure that he did not work (help a customer in need) during a break. What a joke. Then they want to put on a supervisor so you can discuss the call and rate the person who took your call. They waste your time before taking your call and then they want to waste more when the call is over.

Sorry for the rant, but Dell is on my list.

Rob, nothing personal. You deserve some rep points for this offer. Nice touch. I may have a question or two for you in the future.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 08-02-2006 at 08:48 PM.

when i installed the card i forgot to say that there was a software included,could that have caused my problem.?

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    Even if you have a warranty from Dell you can't get anyone on the phone who speaks a lick of English. My name is Ben and it took 5 minutes for the moron in India to figure out what I was spelling.

I probably will buy the extended warranty, but not from Dell, too many horror stories. I also hope to find a company with a customer service department that happens to be in an English speaking country.

I sat on the phone one day for quite awhile, then the guy came on and said that he had to go take a break or he would get in trouble and that he would call me back. Claimed his computer was going to be automatically shut down to ensure that he did not work (help a customer in need) during a break. What a joke. Then they want to put on a supervisor so you can discuss the call and rate the person who took your call. They waste your time before taking your call and then they want to waste more when the call is over.

Sorry for the rant, but Dell is on my list.

Rob, nothing personal. You deserve some rep points for this offer. Nice touch. I may have a question or two for you in the future.

Yeah, outsourcing is a problem, so it's understandable. But, outsourcing is with EVERY major computer company in the United States, so what you experienced with Dell is what you will experience with HP, Gateway, etc.

With every call you make, you need to make sure that you take down case numbers and bade ID #s from every person that works with you, in case you feel they might not give you the service that you desire.

Also, from personal experience....and this is not because I am employee:

I have a Dell TV, and had a few problems with it. Did some necessary Technical work with it with the 'foreigners' and they OVERNIGHTED me a new TV. I've never had a problem with the Technical Support line.

Even though you may not be able to understand what they are saying at some times, the trick is making them understand YOU. If they are trying to walk you through Tech Support situations, you need to make sure you can understand them. If not, have them transfer you to someone you can.

Dell just spent over $10 million decreasing the amount of wait time on Tech Supprt at any given time.

Patience is a huge thing with Technical Support. If you don't have the patience, they are more than likely going to seem like they aren't helping you. I mean, honestly, think about it. Would you want to deal with someone that has no patience and is screaming at you on the phone or making your job harder than what it should be? Not saying you were, but it's always a good thing to have patience.

The systems that Dell does work on, does clock an employee completely out of the system during the middle of every shift. Does it to me as well. I can't personally log in to make sales during the middle of my shift, so I must in turn go take a lunch. LOL. Sucks, but it guarentees HR they are following government labor guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by dunn4life
    when i installed the card i forgot to say that there was a software included,could that have caused my problem.?
    Could be. Try uninstalling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dicken
    Try using a different hard drive connector, and let me know the results!
    Still the same.. i even hooked up a different hard drive as a secondary and it also says its a 1.9GB and its a 10GB.. arg its frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445
    I dont have a Dell yet but i plan too. i have a HP Pavillion 6730 that i had to replace the entire harddrive from a virus.. the new hard drive was supposed to be a 20GB (bought it from a used computer store and had them check it again as i thought they made a mistake and it read 20gb on their computer!!),but will only read it as a 1.9GB on my pc... i read the help files and it told me too check to see if the harddrive was a FAT32, which it wasnt.. soooo i saw in accessories the convertor and did this.. it is now a FAT32, but still reads as a 1.9GB.. how do i get it to read the rest of my hard drive??

it runs win98 SE
    64MB SDRAM(with 1MB allocated for video)
    intel 600mhz processor

any help i really appreciate it till i get a Dell (which is the best at low cost??)
    You might need to upgrade your Bios. Your motherboard may not be able read that high of a drive. How many gigs was your old one?

Here's a good deal on a simple Dell Desktop...

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/637875/

Hurry, these don't last long.
    Last edited by RBA; 08-02-2006 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    You might need a to upgrade your Bios. Your motherboard may not be able read that high of a drive. How many gigs was your old one?

Very true.

You might need to upgrade your Bios. Your motherboard may not be able read that high of a drive. How many gigs was your old one?

the old one was a 10GB..i bought the 20Gb as a temp fix till i can get a Dell. What i dont understand is, a 10GB drive now wont read 10GB, but only 1.9 like the higher one..
    thansk for your time.. it means alot to many on here

Been there, done that. I too hate it! But most of your major computer manufacturers have transferred tech support to India and other remote places.

The people are very courteous, and try to be helpful; but I have to keep telling them to repeat themselves. It's quite bothersome.

IMO - you just got a bad one. Probably made on a Monday or Friday.

This computer that I'm on now is an HP. It's my second one and I love it.

My first one sorta "cooked" too..... in the house fire.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Been there, done that. I too hate it! But most of your major computer manufacturers have transferred tech support to India and other remote places.

The people are very courteous, and try to be helpful; but I have to keep telling them to repeat themselves. It's quite bothersome.
    It's not just Tech Support. I'm in the programming side of things and I've had good friends who lost their jobs, when our departments were downsized because programming was outsourced to India!

Unless you have a business account and than you get Americans. Dell can afford to lose the single customers, but they can't afford to lose their business clients which often is the US Government.

I've had the same experiece with Dell Customer Service, I've gotten people who could hardly speak english and than I had some that speak better English than myself. The funny part is they have all American names. That's to trick you in thinking you are talking to an American.

Than again many companies previously used call centers in the poorest parts of the country (such as El Paso and the deep South) and many of them had a hard time with English too.
    Last edited by RBA; 08-03-2006 at 09:07 AM.

Unless you have a business account and than you get Americans. Dell can afford to lose the single customers, but they can't afford to lose their business clients which often is the US Government.

I've had they same experiece with Dell Customer Service, I've gotten people who could hardly speak english and than I had some that speak better English than myself. The funny part is they have all American names. That's to trick you in thinking you are talking to an American.

Than again many companies previously used call centers in the poorest parts of the country (such as El Paso and the deep South) and many of them had a hard time with English too.
    This a very true statement.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445
    the old one was a 10GB..i bought the 20Gb as a temp fix till i can get a Dell. What i dont understand is, a 10GB drive now wont read 10GB, but only 1.9 like the higher one..
    thansk for your time.. it means alot to many on here
    No ideas Rob?? please let me know.

thanks

Turn Off Ads?