Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mr castellini's comments

Re: mr castellini's comments

Originally Posted By Benihana
    I would say that the Reds could afford to part with Votto or even Bruce in the RIGHT deal. If it means landing a marquee pitcher, I don't think you would have to ask Krivsky twice. You're telling me you wouldnt include Votto in a package to land Zito or Willis?
    I have been thinking this also. I would definitely part with Votto for the right player(s), Bruce however it would have to be a tremendous player. 1Bmen I can live with dealing, COF's with that kind of talent/intangibles I am a little leary about swapping.

In fact let me be more clear. I would deal Votto in a deal for a Tejada, Soriano, Lee, Abreu, Zito, Willis, Cabrera and maybe Lugo if it was straight up just to use the names floating around.

I would deal Bruce in a deal for Cabrera and Maybe Willis (if we didn't part with any other big names), Zito if he would sign a reasonable LTC (completely unlikely)!

Of course we could get real imaginitive and Trade Votto, Bailey & Bruce for Kazmir & Young?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think you can knock Willis and Cabrera off the list. With each passing day, I think the Marlins are getting more and more confident that they might be able to sneak back into the Wild Card hunt. The Reds are awfully lucky that the Marlines started so poorly, because they would be tough to beat right now if the Reds didn't have the 5.5 game cushion on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    So he doesn't capitalize and doesn't space between sentences?

Relax guys, it's a message board.
    Then the terrorists have already won.

Quote Originally Posted by ickey333
    I would respectfully disagree with this line of thinking...especially calling the trade a debacle. The fact that the bullpen's numbers have improved and the team is 9-4 since the trade with almost minimal contributions from Majewski, Bray, and Clayton (especially Majewski) suggests that the trade is helping to address the very needs that Krivsky was trying to fill.
    Doesn't the fact that Clayton, Bray, and Maj have contributed minimally mean that they team is playing well in spite of the trade? I'm sure Cast is happy to see the surge in the W-L record though. I think if we make the playoffs, Cast will be happy and not analyze individual transactions.

Looking at the big picture, Wayne has moved this team forward a lot. That's what Cast will notice.

If the Phils want to dump Abreau and Cast is willing to pay him, heck yeah I make that deal. (Although Abrea's OPS is only about .030 higher than Kearn's was at the time of the trade ).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm figuring that Castellini isn't the obstacle to a deal getting done. It's more the lack of a deal to do that won't mortgage the future that is the obstacle.

This is far better than July of last year. At that time we were questioning whether our GM would know a good deal if it landed on his desk in a box with a shiny gold bow and whether our owner had two padlocks or just one on his wallet.

BTW, good punctuation and grammar rock.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Doesn't the fact that Clayton, Bray, and Maj have contributed minimally mean that they team is playing well in spite of the trade? I'm sure Cast is happy to see the surge in the W-L record though. I think if we make the playoffs, Cast will be happy and not analyze individual transactions.

Looking at the big picture, Wayne has moved this team forward a lot. That's what Cast will notice.

If the Phils want to dump Abreau and Cast is willing to pay him, heck yeah I make that deal. (Although Abrea's OPS is only about .030 higher than Kearn's was at the time of the trade ).

It may have been twisted logic on my part, but essentially the fact that the team is winning in spite of the trade should suggest that when Majewski returns to his norms and as Bray continues to grow into his role, then the trade should start to pay dividends for this year (and I think if you look up "Royce Clayton" in a baseball dictionary, it will say "minimal contributions" anyway, so I don't see any hope for real improvement there).

The fact that the Reds are winning with Jr. mired in an awful slump, BP cooling off at the plate, and EE MIA is in its own way also a good sign. A good solid team will balance itself out over the course of a year and, while I do think we overpaid for the bullpen help for the present season (I still think the long-term effects of a trade with almost all young players should be how its ultimately judged), something had to be done to address that glaring weakness for the Reds to have any chance this year.

Overall, I agree with your assessment that the team has moved forward under Krivsky and I think it will continue to do so. The Reds still have a couple holes to fill this year if they want to stay in the race, and I have faith that if a good deal is there to be made then Krivsky will pull the trigger and continue to help this team move forward.

BTW, I obviously don't post much, but there is no other message board like this one. Thanks guys.

I'm sorry, did anyone ask you what you thought?

The other day I responded to something you said and I was told to buzz off and that you weren't talking to me.

Well nobody asked for your opinion on this subject.

Your right, it is a message board and anyone can respond to anyone else. But those weren't your rules the other day.

Hypocrite!

Anyone remember tonyND (I think he went by a different handle before and after that one)?

Man that guy couldn't spell, but he had a great baseball mind. I think all the bashing finally ran him off the board.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    I would say that the Reds could afford to part with Votto or even Bruce in the RIGHT deal. If it means landing a marquee pitcher, I don't think you would have to ask Krivsky twice. You're telling me you wouldnt include Votto in a package to land Zito or Willis?
    I agree with the trading of Votto, we should be able to land a 1b in the next couple off seasons after Hatte is gone and maybe even a power hitting 1b at that, but I think with the aging Griffey in the outfield Bruce is pretty much untouchable. Looking at this team right now there is some older talent in the starting line up that won't be around alot longer. That being said I think its very important to make a run now before we have to start to scramble to replace guys like KGJ, Freel, Aurillia, and Hatte. We have some decent talent in the minors but once we start losing some of these core guys the "future" we are building for seems a ways off. I say spend some money now, make some from playoff revenue and then worry about the future in the offseason. If we worry too much about the future now we will always one year away from the big payoff year.

Quote Originally Posted by VR
    Anyone remember tonyND (I think he went by a different handle before and after that one)?

Man that guy couldn't spell, but he had a great baseball mind. I think all the bashing finally ran him off the board.
    I'm able to work with people who can't spell. And if I use poor grammar or spell words wrong, I'm grateful for the correction. It doesn't bother me. The orginal poster obviously knows how to spell and I suspect that he was taught capitalization in school. For unknown reasons, he believes it to be acceptable in public to not use the skills he has learned.

I still understood what he meant.

Castellini has been brilliant so far. I don't think that adding a guy like Lee or Soriano to be a 2 month rental would accomplish anything at this point. Let's face it, even with that kind of deal, in which we would mortgage our future, we still wouldn't win the World Series in all likelihood this year. And as far as a guy like Tejada is concerned, no thanks. He's getting up there in age, has many miles on that body at short, and has been suspected of steroid use. Is that a guy that you want to pay 38 million dollars for over the next 3 years, when we could use that cash to lock up some of our own young guys? There's no need to panic and make a big move just to make one. Even if this team somehow doesn't end up in the playoffs this year, I am very optimistic about the future of this club, something that I couldn't say a year ago today.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    I'm able to work with people who can't spell. And if I use poor grammar or spell words wrong, I'm grateful for the correction. It doesn't bother me. The orginal poster obviously knows how to spell and I suspect that he was taught capitalization in school. For unknown reasons, he believes it to be acceptable in public to not use the skills he has learned.
    I have the privelege of working with many who can't spell, or speak English. When they are in need of correction or even advice on how to better communicate, I take it to them in a graceful private forum, because it's more important to me for them to feel part of our community for who they are, not how much they are like the others.

Before someone is taught to spell, they are taught the skill of common courtesy and respect? "Poor spellers need not apply" isn't part of the Redszone credo. Is it therefore not acceptable to set those skills aside when dealing with our Redszone "community"? Back in the days before Redszone, it was common to bash those who couldn't spell, use correct grammar or clearly state a thought on the Reds board. We're better than that, aren't we?

By the way, this isn't a shot at RBA, he is a Red Blooded American after all .

Just my rant for the day on respect for others.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    I have a fancy for names like Tejada, Willis, M. Cabrera, Carlos Lee, upgrades like the Cards have made at times to improve their chances, and I was dreaming that maybe Castellini would have a fans fancy for those type of players also.
    Nothing is wrong with Abreu aside from his power taking a bit of a vacation. He's still getting on base at a .429 clip. A LIFETIME OBP of .412 - 90 walks, 60 RBI. .280 hitter with a history of hitting closer to .300. Call me crazy, but I think Abreu is a pretty big name hitter.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    Nothing is wrong with Abreu aside from his power taking a bit of a vacation. He's still getting on base at a .429 clip. A LIFETIME OBP of .412 - 90 walks, 60 RBI. .280 hitter with a history of hitting closer to .300. Call me crazy, but I think Abreu is a pretty big name hitter.
    Me too
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?