Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60

Thread: mr castellini's comments

  1. #1
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    mr castellini's comments

    when he took over i remember him saying the team would "bite the bullet" if in contention and take on payroll.also during the season he has made this comment.well...the reds are in contention.although the trade was made "to help" the team,they certainly didnt take on payroll.
    bray i think can be a good one.majeski ,we shall see.
    now in trade talks ,you hear nothing of reds.are they done dealing.
    can we not expect the rolen or mcguire type acquisition like stl had?
    if no then why ?was attendence not what he expected?no one good left on market?
    this question was also raised in thread on ORG but not directly addressed.
    if this team wanted to "bite the bullet" , looks like they could get another starter as the asking price on many is going down reportedly.
    or there is tejeda...would i love to see him in reds uni. you bet.rich needs a good bat behind him in the 5 hole.
    i am not in favor of trading bailey, bruce but as i said the asking price seems to be dropping.
    Last edited by jmac; 07-28-2006 at 10:42 AM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aurora, Indiana
    Posts
    340

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    Quote Originally Posted by jmac
    when he took over i remember him saying the team would "bite the bullet" if in contention and take on payroll.also during the season he has made this comment.well...the reds are in contention.although the trade was made "to help" the team,they certainly didnt take on payroll.
    bray i think can be a good one.majeski ,we shall see.
    now in trade talks ,you hear nothing of reds.are they done dealing.
    can we not expect the rolen or mcguire type acquisition like stl had?
    if no then why ?was attendence not what he expected?no one good left on market?
    this question was also raised in thread on ORG but not directly addressed.
    if this team wanted to "bite the bullet" , looks like they could get another starter as the asking price on many is going down reportedly.
    or there is tejeda...would i love to see him in reds uni. you bet.rich needs a good bat behind him in the 5 hole.
    i am not in favor of trading bailey bruce but as i said the asking price seems to be dropping.

    Your post was a little tricky to read...

    But, from what I can understand, I will say this: I believe one of our catchers is going to go before the deadline. It's going to either be LaRue or Valentin, as Ross is a bargain and produces well for being one.

  4. #3
    Hot Stove Season HotCorner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    Castellini is willing to "bite the bullet" in regards to adding payroll. He won't block deals for guys like Tejada, Zito, etc if WK was able to pull off a deal unlike the previous ownership.

    The Reds can not afford to deal Bailey, Votto or Bruce in any deal. Yet to get a marquee player those teams will require a prospect of their caliber. If WK can land a player of substance without mortgaging the franchises future, I will be quite impressed ... not that I'm not already impressed with him.

  5. #4
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    Hopefully Castellini and Krivsky will be able to accomplish some serious upgrades during the offseason, when they have had more time to evaluate everything this season and player performances ect. and the opportunity presents itself. I just hope that he doesn't continue to go cheaper and older.

  6. #5
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,859

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    If we're willing to make the sort of deal where our picking up money is the primary concern (as opposed to who we send back), that deal can probably be done in August. Teams holding potential rent-a-players that aren't quite ready to pronounce themselves out of it by Monday, might be in a couple of weeks. And the higher the price tag, the more likely it is a player gets through waivers.
    Not all who wander are lost

  7. #6
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,987

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    Quote Originally Posted by jmac
    when he took over i remember him saying the team would "bite the bullet" if in contention and take on payroll.also during the season he has made this comment.well...the reds are in contention.although the trade was made "to help" the team,they certainly didnt take on payroll.
    bray i think can be a good one.majeski ,we shall see.
    now in trade talks ,you hear nothing of reds.are they done dealing.
    can we not expect the rolen or mcguire type acquisition like stl had?
    if no then why ?was attendence not what he expected?no one good left on market?
    this question was also raised in thread on ORG but not directly addressed.
    if this team wanted to "bite the bullet" , looks like they could get another starter as the asking price on many is going down reportedly.
    or there is tejeda...would i love to see him in reds uni. you bet.rich needs a good bat behind him in the 5 hole.
    i am not in favor of trading bailey, bruce but as i said the asking price seems to be dropping.
    When someone told you typing in caps was equal to shouting, I think you took it a little too far.

    I'm seeing this type of grammar all over the internet. I'm a little disappointed it's allowed to flourish and grow. :thumbdown
    Last edited by RBA; 07-28-2006 at 11:25 AM.

  8. #7
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,058

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    You got to wonder if of ole Wayne isn't feeling a bit gunshy after the Kearns/Majewski debacle. His political capital at this point has got to be low with Mr. Castellini.

    I'm beginning to think no moves will be made.

  9. #8
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    If we could take on a lot of money we could get Lieber and Abreu from the Phillies for practically nothing. I've heard that if you take Lieber off their hands with Abreu the asking price drops significantly. We'd probably have to give up one good prospect (Denorfia) and add several average prospects (Germano, Dumatrait, etc) to get the deal done. Imagine what those two would do to our team. 3-4-5 of Abreu, Dunn, Griffey. Yikes. Lieber in the rotation also helps.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  10. #9
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,349

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    Carolina queen,
    She's a walking love machine.
    I'd like to make her scream,
    When I bite the bullet.
    Bite the bullet.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  11. #10
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    If we could take on a lot of money we could get Lieber and Abreu from the Phillies for practically nothing. I've heard that if you take Lieber off their hands with Abreu the asking price drops significantly. We'd probably have to give up one good prospect (Denorfia) and add several average prospects (Germano, Dumatrait, etc) to get the deal done. Imagine what those two would do to our team. 3-4-5 of Abreu, Dunn, Griffey. Yikes. Lieber in the rotation also helps.

    I have a fancy for names like Tejada, Willis, M. Cabrera, Carlos Lee, upgrades like the Cards have made at times to improve their chances, and I was dreaming that maybe Castellini would have a fans fancy for those type of players also.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 07-28-2006 at 11:44 AM.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,917

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner
    Castellini is willing to "bite the bullet" in regards to adding payroll. He won't block deals for guys like Tejada, Zito, etc if WK was able to pull off a deal unlike the previous ownership.

    The Reds can not afford to deal Bailey, Votto or Bruce in any deal. Yet to get a marquee player those teams will require a prospect of their caliber. If WK can land a player of substance without mortgaging the franchises future, I will be quite impressed ... not that I'm not already impressed with him.

    I would say that the Reds could afford to part with Votto or even Bruce in the RIGHT deal. If it means landing a marquee pitcher, I don't think you would have to ask Krivsky twice. You're telling me you wouldnt include Votto in a package to land Zito or Willis?
    Go BLUE!!!

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    I'm seeing this type of grammar all over the internet. I'm a little disappointed it's allowed to flourish and grow. :thumbdown
    I'm with ya' on that one RBA. If this is the sort of stuff our schools are turning out maybe we should just close 'em.

    Rem

  14. #13
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,058

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    So he doesn't capitalize and doesn't space between sentences?

    Relax guys, it's a message board.

  15. #14
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,987

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    So he doesn't capitalize and doesn't space between sentences?

    Relax guys, it's a message board.
    maybeurrite?

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    19

    Re: mr castellini's comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    You got to wonder if of ole Wayne isn't feeling a bit gunshy after the Kearns/Majewski debacle. His political capital at this point has got to be low with Mr. Castellini.

    I'm beginning to think no moves will be made.
    I would respectfully disagree with this line of thinking...especially calling the trade a debacle. The fact that the bullpen's numbers have improved and the team is 9-4 since the trade with almost minimal contributions from Majewski, Bray, and Clayton (especially Majewski) suggests that the trade is helping to address the very needs that Krivsky was trying to fill. I realize this is faint praise for the trade, but in its own way, the fact that the team is winning while one of the key components of the trade is performing so poorly has to almost be encouraging for Krivsky and the team. I doubt that even the worst critic of the trade thinks that Majewski will not return to being a solid component of the bullpen this year (and just as importantly for several seasons to come). Bray has been decent already and his upside has already been addressed in the many other posts on this trade. Clayton is what he is and I would love it if he was replaced yesterday.

    I guess an even more important part of all this is if Krivksy and/or Castellini get gunshy less than one year into their tenures, especially when the team is way ahead of any reasonable expectations for competing for the playoffs, then the Reds have much bigger problems anyway.

    GO REDS!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25