Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could developments be leading to no Soriano trade?

Could developments be leading to no Soriano trade?

I was shocked at how little the Brewers got for Carlos Lee. And the timing, why not wait until someone falls out of the Soriano bidding? I don't get it unless there are other developments underscoring the trade action.

If Lee brings an underwhelming package, does Soriano bring considerably more? Maybe not, and if that is true, Bowden might look foolish to deal Soriano with his team winning for anything less than a blockbuster package. It certainly didn't hurt his trading power with Lee being dealt so quickly.

It will be interesting to see what happens on the Washington/Bowden front.
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-28-2006 at 01:50 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Yay!

Re: Could developments be leading to no Soriano trade?

I was thinking just the opposite. I was thinking that the Los Angeles California Anaheim Angels of Orange County will now feel they are forced to make a move to compete in the division and will make every effort to get Soriano.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Good point. Perhaps both Soriano and Tejada pushed Lee off the of the top buyers' wish lists.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    I was shocked at how little the Brewers got for Carlos Lee. And the timing, why not wait until someone falls out of the Soriano bidding? I don't get it unless there are other developments underscoring the trade action.

If Lee brings an underwhelming package, does Soriano bring considerably more? Maybe not, and if that is true, Bowden might look foolish to deal Soriano with his team winning for anything less than a blockbuster package. It certainly didn't hurt his trading power with Lee being dealt so quickly.

It will be interesting to see what happens on the Washington/Bowden front.
    with his team winning...winning what?
    Soriano will be gone by Tuesday. Bowden rarely meets a trading opportunity he doesn't like. My prediction is Detroit will be his destination with Humberto Sanchez and Marcus Thames coming back in return. Anaheim would be my second choice with some kind of combination of Wood/Aybar/Kendrick and a pitcher.
    Go BLUE!!!

The Nats may do better getting the picks if they don't like any of the current offers.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    The Nats may do better getting the picks if they don't like any of the current offers.
    Can they offer him arb?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    with his team winning...winning what?
    Sorry, baseball games.

Soriano will be gone by Tuesday.
    The market might not be as kind as Bowden hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Sorry, baseball games.

The market might not be as kind as Bowden hopes.

46-56? A little winning streak at the end of July doesn't mean as much when your team is 15 games out of 1st. Soriano will be gone by Tuesday.
    Go BLUE!!!

Tom Boswell of the Washington Post had a good column about this in today's paper. Sorry I don't have a link. But he's speculating that the Nats may keep him and try to sign him. Soriano has seemingly taken a liking for DC and the fans have really warmed up to him. He said even if they can't sign him they will gain two first round picks in next years draft which I took it to mean that Jimbo may just settle for that unless he can really rob someone of a ton of talent.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    Tom Boswell of the Washington Post had a good column about this in today's paper. Sorry I don't have a link. But he's speculating that the Nats may keep him and try to sign him. Soriano has seemingly taken a liking for DC and the fans have really warmed up to him. He said even if they can't sign him they will gain two first round picks in next years draft which I took it to mean that Jimbo may just settle for that unless he can really rob someone of a ton of talent.
    No way, Jimbo will move him or resign him by the 31st. Extra draft picks are not at all his thing. He's the ultimate ADD GM...

And we all unfortunately know Jimbo's 1st round draft record, especially when it comes to evaluating pitching

Or Jimbo could be trying to drive up the price.

I'll bet this is the story you mention:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14034317/

For weeks, the team has planned to use these days to get rich quick — rich in young prospects. The team's public posture, which contains plenty of truth, is that the club will simply answer the door if opportunity knocks. If it doesn't, they'll play out the season with the hand they've got. Then, if Soriano isn't re-signed as a free agent this winter by the Nats, Washington will get a first-round pick and a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds as compensation. "We think number one draft picks are precious. We like draft picks," Bowden said. "That's how the Mets and Braves were built." But Bowden doesn't prefer draft picks to young major leaguers who may be on the cusp of excellence, like the Tigers' Joel Zumaya, who throws 100 mph, or the White Sox' 6-foot-7 Brandon McCarthy, 23, who looked as impressive as any Chicago starter last September.
    I really don't see why Soriano would bring that much more than Carlos Lee. Interesting, though, Texas would probably be the one buyer not interested in Soriano.
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-28-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    46-56? A little winning streak at the end of July doesn't mean as much when your team is 15 games out of 1st. Soriano will be gone by Tuesday.
    I know that Wash isn't contending, but they've had a nice hot streak going of late.

I think Soriano will be traded unless he signs an extension (which is very unlikely).

Soriano can definitely fetch more talent than a 1st round draft pick. It's smart to trade him, and there are several teams interested. (At least 4 from what I've read).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Can they offer him arb?
    they can but he doesn't have to accept. He will be a free agent.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I still think he stays put, Bowden won't part with a 5 tooler for the going price
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?