Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zito

Re: Zito

I agree with TC about Lowe
    As a person, I loathe the guy, but I think his sinker would be a wonderful addition here. Zito scares me with his agent and his fly balls...
    there is always an adjustment period switching leagues as well. Lowe would do metter - he keeps the ball down.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoWhiteSox
    Well I think Zito will definitely NOT be traded. Why on earth would Oakland trade one of their best pitchers while they're in contention? They would be waving the white flag. I see him finishing out the season in Oakland, then moving elsewhere during the offseason.
    because Billy Beane is smart enough to know his A's arent winning a World Series this fall, and knows Zito is leaving and he wants to at least get something for later down the road versus getting nothing.

a guy on 710 AM here in Los Angeles made a great point about what teams do (at the cost of somewhat deceiving fans)

Almost all small market teams will trade for young talent, groom their talent in the minors, bring them up to the majors for 3-6 years while still under a rookie contract, turn them into superstars, then when trade them for young talent again (restarting this entire cycle) versus having to pay a huge contract or lose the star for nothing

This way, they have a constant cycle of good young talent coming out and performing for relatively cheap, while winning some ball games, the fans think they are actually competing for a W.S. title when really the owners/gms are content with just "being in it" while keeping payroll down

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan
    because Billy Beane is smart enough to know his A's arent winning a World Series this fall, and knows Zito is leaving and he wants to at least get something for later down the road versus getting nothing.

a guy on 710 AM here in Los Angeles made a great point about what teams do (at the cost of somewhat deceiving fans)

Almost all small market teams will trade for young talent, groom their talent in the minors, bring them up to the majors for 3-6 years while still under a rookie contract, turn them into superstars, then when trade them for young talent again (restarting this entire cycle) versus having to pay a huge contract or lose the star for nothing

This way, they have a constant cycle of good young talent coming out and performing for relatively cheap, while winning some ball games, the fans think they are actually competing for a W.S. title when really the owners/gms are content with just "being in it" while keeping payroll down
    If you think that Beane doesn't want a ring, you are dead wrong. The rest of it is no secret.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    If you think that Beane doesn't want a ring, you are dead wrong. The rest of it is no secret.
    everybody wants a ring but do you think he thinks his team this year, which is almost dead last in slugging, hr's, OPS is good enough to win a World Series this year and risk losing Zito and getting nothing in return?

cmon man, he's a realist

He might just take the draft pick.
    Go Gators!

How u doin

Probably gonna take some heat but what if we trade Jay Bruce and another minor for Zito since we just drafted of Drew Stubbs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan08
    Probably gonna take some heat but what if we trade Jay Bruce and another minor for Zito since we just drafted of Drew Stubbs this year.
    We;re awfully thin in the OF and I'm not convinced Stubbs is any kind of answer, but OFs can be found in FA easier than starters.

If you can sign Zito to an LTC and acquire him for a package of minor leaguers not named Bailey, I think you have to - reservations about the affect of the GAB on Zito aside.

How u doin

I just want Zito so bad right now.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Bruce, Wood, Pelland, and Coffey for Zito

Just saw where Zito gaveup a grand slam early, then shut 'emdown throught 6.2 for a win today

why is everyone on zito's jock? left handed american league fly-ball pitcher in the GAB?..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Eric Milton says hi

why is everyone on zito's jock? left handed american league fly-ball pitcher in the GAB?..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Eric Milton says hi
    I much prefer Tejada, and this team could use him even more than Zito.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan08
    I just want Zito so bad right now.
    :ughmamoru
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Eric Milton says hi
    Milton was never near as good as Zito.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Milton was never near as good as Zito.
    agreed but he was pretty damn good his last two years in Minnesota

at ages 25 thru 27:

13-10 4.86 era
    15-7 4.32
    13-9 4.84

and that is being a fly ball picture in the metrodome so ERA is a bit inflated

Barry Zito at ages 25-27
    14-12 3.30 era
    11-11 4.48
    14-13 3.86

not that near?

Turn Off Ads?