Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zito

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Zito

(I know...another Zito thread) :

Rumored to the Mets IF they give up Milledge (not sure if there's more to that).

I've said Dunn for Zito before, but I'm not trading Dunn now...no way, no how...the offense would die if he goes now.

Would the Reds have anything equal to what the Mets would have to give up (preferably not named Homer Bailey)?

I would absolutely LOVE to see him in a Reds uniform, as unlikely as it is.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-28-2006 at 06:32 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zito

I think it's clear the Reds could use one more No. 1 - 3 starter, whether it's Zito, Dontrelle Willis or even a Greg Maddux.

Someone that's reliable enough to join Harang and Arroyo down the stretch and be dependable enough to start in the playoffs if the Reds can make it.

Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar

While Zito would be great to have as a Red, there would be no point in trading for him. He would be nothing but a rental for this year, and we would have to mortgage our future in order to acquire him.

He most likely ends up in NY, Boston, or any other big market after this year anyhow. Doubtful that the Reds would be able to re-sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by StRedlegs900
    While Zito would be great to have as a Red, there would be no point in trading for him. He would be nothing but a rental for this year, and we would have to mortgage our future in order to acquire him.

He most likely ends up in NY, Boston, or any other big market after this year anyhow. Doubtful that the Reds would be able to re-sign him.
    I should have added, I would only want him if the Reds are able to give him a deal to keep him here another couple of years.

Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    I should have added, I would only want him if the Reds are able to give him a deal to keep him here another couple of years.
    Then I, for one, will definitely agree with you on that note!

Maddux is interesting. Take on his salary and you shouldnt have to give the cubs to much back. Hes struggled alot lately but just his influence on our other pitchers could lower our team ERA. Plus put him on a contender down the stretch and i bet he steps it up and pitches pretty well. He may not go more than 6 innings but he could be a great #5 starter for us.

I would think Jay Bruce would draw the same amount of value as Lastings Milledge. Milledge has gotten more national attention having played in the majors this year however. I wouldn't like to see our CF post-Griffey go though.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

Dunner, great post.

I agree completely. I would trust Maddux when it counts to turn on his best performance regardless of how he's pitched lately.

vermilion

I disagree about Maddux. As a pitcher who relies almost entirely on pitching strategy rather than 'stuff', there really isn't anything for him to turn on. I'm sure he takes the same philosophy out to the mound now that he did in Atlanta ten years ago, but his fastball is simply much more hittable than it used to be and he's being hit harder now than at any point in his career. He still has the control to get it over the plate (a consistant BB rate with respect to his career), but his pitches don't have the late movement they once did.

Annnnnd... I don't think he'd waive his no trade clause to pitch here anyway Rumor has it he turned down a chance to go back to Atlanta, so I'm thinking Maddux is done and just wants to wrap the year in Chicago before calling it a day.

Word is the A's have asked for Milledge AND Pelfrey AND Duaner Sanchez.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I figured it was more than just Milledge...

vermilion

Who does Billy Beane think he is, Jim Bowden?

The Reds have nothing to trade. They won't trade Bailey, Bruce or Votto.......and that's all they have.

Day'em! Let's acquire Zito and trade him to the Mets.

the talk out here in Los Angeles is that the Dodgers are the front runners behind the scenes in getting Zito..no joke

also dodgers are trying to get rid of Penny and Lowe..i would like to see Derek Lowe in a reds uniform. his sinker would do well in great american, and keep balls in the park

Turn Off Ads?