Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Matt In Char Nc

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Matt In Char Nc

These are pictures of Matt from a tournament a couple of weeks ago. Our team won the tournament. The second picture is Matt and one of his coaches, a close friend and one of his biggest supporters.

Attachment 3904

Attachment 3905
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 07-29-2006 at 05:10 AM.

Re: Matt In Char Nc

In the last tournament our team, The Weddington Nationals, participated in, the AAU National Tournament in Concord, NC, Matt was named to the AAU All America Team (the AAU National all tournament team) for his age group which is 8 and under. There were teams there from all over the country. We finished third in our division. He had a great tournament. His mother and I were very proud of him and this accomplishment.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 07-29-2006 at 08:49 AM.

Congrats

Nice pictures
    Go Gators!

Must be the coaching! The kid is getting solid instruction Randy.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Looks like he's got a great swing
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Looks like he's got a great swing
    My thought exactly!

Thanks guys, we really work at it. The swing is really good, and he has good size and hits with some power. So many folks at our league have their kids going to lessons with multiple coaches, try to coach them themselves and have their team coaches yammering at them as well. Too many voices. Dad is the coach and no one else is in his ear. We try to keep it simple. Focus, balance, a still head staying behind the ball, release the hips with flat hands extending through the hitting zone with not a lot of wrist rollover and a high finish and release. When he is really on, he hits the ball where it is pitched and can go the opposite way on the outside pitch and really turn on the inside one. If he starts pulling too much, we focus on the middle of the field and it seems to bring things back. He is starting to understand the mechanics and is starting to have a little feel for what to do when some things get out of sync. The swing that you see resulted in a double through the gap in right center. My goal is trying to keep him hitting line drives and not swinging for the fences. That can be a tough thing. Wish I would have had this swing at 8.

Nice pics, Randy. My son is 3 and he's just recently started to take a real interest in baseball. Unfortunately, all he wants to do is hit and he doesn't care much about throwing, which ironically was the exact opposite of me when I was young. I was a slick fielding, average hitting infielder. He hits the ball really well. It's surprised me how quickly he's improved. It's amazing how quickly they can form the basic swing mechanics without any real direction.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Nice pics, Randy. My son is 3 and he's just recently started to take a real interest in baseball. Unfortunately, all he wants to do is hit and he doesn't care much about throwing, which ironically was the exact opposite of me when I was young.
    Batting was always my favorite position when younger. Whenever we got together to play sandlot I carried the bat so to be the first to hit.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-29-2022)

Mine was the same way, MWM. He has always wanted to hit, although he has always been intrigued with the pitching motion. We have been working on that for a long time, too.

You'll have your son out there in uniform before you know it. It really is a joy to watch them play.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Mine was the same way, MWM. He has always wanted to hit, although he has always been intrigued with the pitching motion. We have been working on that for a long time, too.

You'll have your son out there in uniform before you know it. It really is a joy to watch them play.
    Since the body has broke down, I get nothing but chills and thrills from coaching kids, and watching Samuel.

That's a Griffey-esque swing.

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior
    He loves that compliment, letsgojunior, because he has tried to pattern his swing after two players. Griffey and Rafael Palmeiro. For me, I see a lot of Will Clark in his swing, but he never got to see Clark hit.

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior

Quote Originally Posted by ochre

Wow. What a fantastic picture of Junior's stroke.

Matt, still waiting on that autograph.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?