Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE Orlando "Tubby" Smith Thread

Somewhat reasonable

Re: THE Orlando "Tubby" Smith Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    In my work, I have visited every corner of this Commonwealth many times over. I have met and spoken with people from towns of all sizes. So, please don't attempt to imply that racists living in Kentucky are that way simply because of their town sizes.

Kentucky happens to be comprised of hundreds of rural counties and about 5-8 counties that fit the category of urban. But that does not explain away the behavior and philosophies of the people you are describing.

The people to whom you are referring are not they way they are because they just so happen to live in small towns. They are that way because they are small minded bigots who were most likely raised by bigots who held the same ridiculous beliefs.

Unfortunately, these beliefs exist all over the country--regardless of the demographic makeup of the community.

"It takes a village.......to raise a village idiot."
    By no means would I ever suggest that racism is limited to small towns after looking at my earlier post, it does seem as though I wasn't clear on that point. I have seen racism rear its ugly head in Covington, Newport, Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green all of which could fairly be considered urban as well as in small towns. My intent was to point out to WilyMo that bigotry is not this quirky thing of long ago that doesn't exist anymore, as he seems to be suggesting. Every fan base has a smattering of bigoted morons in their midst UofL included. I'm just not willing to take the "ignore them and maybe they'll go away" stance the way so many others do when it comes to exposing the idiots in their village.
    Last edited by Jim Schue; 08-06-2006 at 01:08 PM.
    The knack to flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    The people to whom you are referring are not they way they are because they just so happen to live in small towns. They are that way because they are small minded bigots who were most likely raised by bigots who held the same ridiculous beliefs.
    Bingo.

Taking a break from which part of the commonwealth is racist, here is a petition from firetubbysmith.com with close to 3,000 signatures.

http://www.petitiononline.com/firetubb/petition.html
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'm from KY (as if!! )

Born and bred in good ole Georgetown, KY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Jim, I'm not trying to suggest that there aren't still racists within the UK fanbase.

Racism exists everywhere, no question. My time living in Cleveland has shown me that and is one of the reasons I've got a real problem with people implying that the UK fanbase somehow has more racists than any other fan base.

That is my point of contention.

Good post, Blimpie.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Out of curiosity, are you from Kentucky? Its one thing to know a LOT of UK fans, but unless you know fans inside the state, its an entirely different situation.
    That's the thing, I have family in Owenton, Pikeville, Ashland, Meade Co., and everywhere in-between.

Some of the smallest of the small.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Jim, I'm not trying to suggest that there aren't still racists within the UK fanbase.

Racism exists everywhere, no question. My time living in Cleveland has shown me that and is one of the reasons I've got a real problem with people implying that the UK fanbase somehow has more racists than any other fan base.

That is my point of contention.

Good post, Blimpie.
    Yep. For starters, not many other universities are having major motion pictures made in an attempt to perpetuate fables.

Everybody in the know concedes that "Glory Road" was more fiction than fact. However, all it served to do was usher in those tired old fallacies towards yet another generation of fans.

Adolph Rupp only started white guys against Texas Western??? Oh my!

Folks, those were the times for many teams. Should Duke have made it past the semi-finals that year, it would have been THEIR all white team that faced Texas Western.

I'll bet you will never see ESPN promoting that storyline ad nauseum because it would not allow them to reconcile their hype of that program over the last two decades.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Yeah, I mean, GOSH, ESPN couldn't broadcast a Duke game on EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEIR FREAKING CHANNELS AT ONCE (A 'cameron crazies cam'?? please excuse me for a sec while I go puke) if they had that type of 'HISTORY' on their school's resume.

I'd love to know how many recruits the Duke/ESPN love affair has landed the Blue Devils over the past 10 years.

Of course, it's a moot point, but I really do think UK could have contended for ESPN's undying affection had Rick stayed at Kentucky.

I have tried to give Tubby the benefit of the doubt and hope that he can turn things around, but now its possible that it may never happen.

Dante Jackson, who we were in the lead for earlier in the year, is likely to announce his commitment to Xavier or Dayton. Patrick Patterson, one of the top power forward recruits who is rising up the boards fairly quickly and had been basically a hometown lock(from Huntington), is now expected to commit to Florida given the myspace incident.

And its not just these. The class of 2007 was supposed to be one of the deepest classes in recent memory, and as of right now, we have absolutely nothing to show for it. Right now, we are following the same path as Indiana, and ironically enough, Tubby Smith is following the same path as Mike Davis.

I've tried to look at this and say Tubby will turn it around, but no more. If there is no improvement at the end of this season, Tubby Smith needs to resign for the good of the program.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Wow, WVRed... please, sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Thanks for the reporting... I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Wow, WVRed... please, sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Thanks for the reporting... I guess.
    I could be wrong, and I hope I am. That is what I have been reading though. His parents reportedly weren't too happy with the whole thing and with the way UK fans perceive Tubby. I wouldn't be surprised if he did leave.

Its a matter of perception really. Lets figure Noah, Horford, and Brewer are gone, and Patterson can step into a run and gun offense at Florida compared to playing Tubby ball and maybe finishing with 15-16 PPG. What would you choose?

The Latin Heartthrob

UK already lost a recruit to Florida a few weeks ago, and his reason, and I paraphrase, was "I like that I can wear flip flops and sandals year-round at Florida." A guy UK was surely overhyping to make it look like Tubby was getting a top recruit, and he STILL doesn't pick UK, because sandals now mean more than UK's tradition, knowing he won't come close to contributing significantly for Florida this year and had a chance as PF for UK. And, yeah, WVRed, you're right, Florida's offense has a lot to do with it, compared with what's been described as UK's "plowhorse offense".

It is a plowhorse offense, straight from the late 70's or early 80's. It's boring.

As to the fan issue, Kentucky fans talk. A lot. Many of these fans are ignorant.

However, after meeting some Nebraska football fans, I have come to the conclusion that Kentucky does indeed receive a bum rap for it's alleged "racism". (Ditto for Alabama, Georgia, and, suprisingly, IU fans). It's awfully easy to relegate someone's opinion to the scrap heap by stereotyping. ESPN is guilty of this in virtually all its reporting. Same for other sports news, including journalism. It's easy and the "common" fan agrees with you. Or, even better, disagrees with you and comments on it. UK fans do that. A lot. Hence, the vicious circle.

Found this online, not Tubby related, but a good joke nonetheless.

>> >> >> > An Indiana Hoosiers fan, a Duke Blue Devils fan and a
    >> >> >> > Kentucky Wildcats fan were all in Saudi Arabia,
    >> >> >> > sharing a smuggled bottle of Maker's Mark. All of a
    >> >> >> > sudden, Saudi police rushed in and arrested them. The
    >> >> >> > mere possession of alcohol is a severe offense in
    >> >> >> > Saudi Arabia, so for the terrible crime of actually
    >> >> >> > consuming the booze, they were sentenced to death!
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > However, after many months and with the help of very
    >> >> >> > good lawyers, they were able to successfully appeal
    >> >> >> > their sentence down to life imprisonment. By a stroke
    >> >> >> > of luck, it was a Saudi national holiday the day their
    >> >> >> > trial finished, and the extremely benevolent Sheik
    >> >> >> > decided they could be released after receiving just 20
    >> >> >> > lashes each of the whip.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > As they were preparing for their punishment, the Sheik
    >> >> >> > suddenly said: "It's my first wife's birthday today,
    >> >> >> > and she has asked me to allow each of you one wish
    >> >> >> > before your whipping."
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > The Hoosier fan was first in line, so he thought about
    >> >> >> > this for a while and then said, "Please tie a pillow
    >> >> >> > to my back." This was done, but the pillow only lasted
    >> >> >> > 10 lashes before the whip went through.
    >> >> >> > The Hoosier fan had to be carried away bleeding and
    >> >> >> > crying with pain when the punishment was done.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > The Blue Devils fan was next up, and after watching
    >> >> >> > the scene, said, "All right! Please fix two pillows on
    >> >> >> > my back." But even two pillows could only take 15
    >> >> >> > lashes before the whip went through again, sending
    >> >> >> > the Duke fan out crying like a little girl.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > The Wildcat fan was the last one up, but before he
    >> >> >> > could say anything, the Sheik turned to him and said,
    >> >> >> > "You support the greatest team in the world, your
    >> >> >> > alumni are some of the best and most loyal
    >> >> >> > basketball fans in the world. For this, you may have
    >> >> >> > two wishes!"
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > "Thanks, your most Royal highness", the Wildcat fan
    >> >> >> > replied. "In recognition of your kindness, my first
    >> >> >> > wish is that you give me not 20, but 100 lashes."
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > "Not only are you an honorable, handsome, and powerful
    >> >> >> > man, you are also very brave," the Sheik said with an
    >> >> >> > admiring look on his face. "If 100 lashes is what you
    >> >> >> > desire, then so be it.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > And your second wish? What is it to be?" the Sheik
    >> >> >> > asked.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > "Tie the Duke fan to my back."
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > Go Big Blue!!!!

Somewhat reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Found this online, not Tubby related, but a good joke nonetheless.
    Ah yes, anything to further the misguided assumption that UK and Duke are rivals. Or better yet, the rivalry only UK fans know about.
    The knack to flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue
    Ah yes, anything to further the misguided assumption that UK and Duke are rivals. Or better yet, the rivalry only UK fans know about.
    Ok, we all know about the shot heard round the world.

1998-Coach K calls his final timeout with five minutes left to go in the game. Kentucky comes from 17 points down with 12 minutes to go to win 86-84.

Duke also lost to Kentucky in 1978 for the National Championship.

Also, in 2001, Duke beat Kentucky 95-92 in an overtime thriller. Jason Williams scored 38 points and also lost to Duke again in the Jimmy V Classic in 1998 after beating them in the national championship nine months prior.

Maybe this isnt a rivalry on the scale as Duke-UNC like ESPN would lead you to believe, but when these two get together, there is some serious venom from both teams.

Turn Off Ads?