Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade rumor from WLW

Re: Trade rumor from WLW

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    Looking at Maddux's stats this season at 8-11; 4.83, he could come in somewhat of a bargain, for any team
    Good point. And if we can get him for cheep, not only can he solidify the back end of the rotation there is some value in having his computerized pitching brain around for the other pitchers to learn from. Can you imagine Harrang's scarry tallent with some pointers from Maddux? Or Bray getting pointers on how to be a "thinking pitcher"? Wow.

I know that's a very subjective and hard to define "value" but I think it's worth something.

And as always, because he's one of my favorite pitchers doesn't have anything at all to do with my desire to see him in a Reds uniform.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Good point. And if we can get him for cheep, not only can he solidify the back end of the rotation there is some value in having his computerized pitching brain around for the other pitchers to learn from. Can you imagine Harrang's scarry tallent with some pointers from Maddux? Or Bray getting pointers on how to be a "thinking pitcher"? Wow.

I know that's a very subjective and hard to define "value" but I think it's worth something.

And as always, because he's one of my favorite pitchers doesn't have anything at all to do with my desire to see him in a Reds uniform.
    There are certainly a lot of "intangibles" to the possibility of acquiring Maddux

The only one that even remotely excites me is Greg Maddux.

But I just have a feeling Rodrigo Lopez will be in a Reds uniform by 4:00 Monday.....
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Which Greg Maddux are we looking at? The 1992 version or the 2006 version?

I wonder if pitching for a team which can provide some real offense would allow him to not try to be so perfect when he pitches. He was lights out in April when Lee and the Cubs were hitting well but since have stunk.

Coming to a team which can score 10 runs at any given moment may allow him to work it out and relax.

I'd say there is a decent chance that the Reds/As may have asked the league for one of those 72hr. talking periods so the Reds can cut a deal before a trade.

I'm worried that Zito would be like Mulder and Hudson after their deals, a decent pitcher but not up to his former reputation. I also worry about the GAB affect on him.

I can't help but think that any deal would include the Athletics asking for Bailey - if so, I'm really hesitant to do it. Oakland isn't going to take on Dunn, so the only other Reds player that I could possibly imagine as a centerpiece for the As would be EdE and I don't see the A's wanting him unless Chavez is getting too expensive.

Despite my misgivings, if the Reds can work out a deal to extend Zito and the deal does not include Bailey, I do it - even grudgingly if it includes EdE. If Krivski can work a deal to lockup for a frontline pitcher for several years to combine with Harang and Arroyo without including Dunn, Encarnacion or Bailey he deserves to be MLB Executive of the Year.

I just don't see the depth of talent in the Reds system to get it done W/O Bailey - even with 4-5 players including Votto and Bruce.

[EDIT] I might take a rental on Zito for the rest of the season for a lesser package that doesn't include Dunn, EdE, Harang, Arroyo, Bailey or Bruce. You could audition him at the GAB and work on extending him while you have hi. Maybe he likes the clubhouse. Don't see much percentage in that for the A's though. Maybe Votto, Bray and a couple of minor league arms.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-29-2006 at 10:10 AM.

Talked to my brother who is a Phillies fan. He heard on talk radio down in Philly that the Reds were talking about acquiring RHP Jon Lieber from the Phillies for LHP Phil Dumtrait. Problem with the deal is Lieber's salary for 2007 which is 7.5 million. The Phils wanted another prospect in order to send cash in the deal.

Now if I'm the Reds, I would offer LaRue and Dumtrait for Lieber if the Phils weren't willing to add cash. Plus, the Phils might be looking for a veteran catcher to replace Lieberthal and the recently traded Fasano come 2007
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Talked to my brother who is a Phillies fan. He heard on talk radio down in Philly that the Reds were talking about acquiring RHP Jon Lieber from the Phillies for LHP Phil Dumtrait. Problem with the deal is Lieber's salary for 2007 which is 7.5 million. The Phils wanted another prospect in order to send cash in the deal.

Now if I'm the Reds, I would offer LaRue and Dumtrait for Lieber if the Phils weren't willing to add cash. Plus, the Phils might be looking for a veteran catcher to replace Lieberthal and the recently traded Fasano come 2007
    I like Dumatrait for Lieber as much as I like Zito for Bailey and other top prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat
    I like Dumatrait for Lieber as much as I like Zito for Bailey and other top prospects.
    Problem is there are few quality starting pitchers that are available. Livan Hernandez, Cory Lidle, Jon Lieber and Royals' Redman is what you have to choose from. Question the Reds have to ask if any of these pitchers are any better than Claussen?

Dont listen to this trade rumor. This guy has started many different threads, making things up. He even said the Reds agreed to trade Dunn and Bailey to Philly for Brett Meyers and Tom Gordon on the night of the ASG.

Regarding Maddux, the other thing about the guy, even if he doesn't have what he used to, is that you will still get a lot of innings from him. He's durable (IIRC, 2002 was his only stint ever on the DL), and will take a team late into the game, with relatively few runs from the opposing team

I would like to see us get Tejada and Lopez in a deal. Not sure who we would give up but that would give us a great lineup and I think lopez might pitch good in the N.L. Lieber would be nice but that salary next year is horrible, hes not worth that at all. Mark Redman or Rodrigo Lopez seem like the most likely to be reds by monday to me.

I have a feeling that one way or the other, the Reds will acquire Lieber. I picked him in the "Who do you think the Reds will get poll" and everything!

I'd do Larue/Dumatrait for him in a heartbeat.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    Regarding Maddux, the other thing about the guy, even if he doesn't have what he used to, is that you will still get a lot of innings from him. He's durable (IIRC, 2002 was his only stint ever on the DL), and will take a team late into the game, with relatively few runs from the opposing team
    I'll say it again....will acquiring Maddux be an upgrade over Brandon Claussen for the fifth spot of the rotation? If it isn't much of an upgrade, why make the trade?

I'll say it again....will acquiring Maddux be an upgrade over Brandon Claussen for the fifth spot of the rotation? If it isn't much of an upgrade, why make the trade?
    I guess I'm the wrong person to ask that question to. I've never been impressed with Claussen. The one thing Claussen has going for him is he's a southpaw. It's an apples and oranges thing when your looking to acquire a 300/3000 future HoFer with much post-season experience to pass on to a young and inexperieced staff

Turn Off Ads?