Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Next Generation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

The Next Generation

NEW YORK -- A USA Today article about Devil Rays prospects B.J. Upton, Elijah Dukes and Delmon Young did not sit well with the Rays' organization.
    All three play for Triple-A Durham.

Among the disturbing comments was one by Young, who expressed his displeasure that none of the three had been called to the Major Leagues when he said: "I don't know what they're waiting for. They're what, 30 games [actually 20] out of first place? They think we're going to mess up their clubhouse chemistry? B.J. should be up there. What are they waiting for? They always have an excuse."

Young then said he was just venting.

And Dukes commented: "In the big leagues, you throw your uniform on the ground, and it's washed and hung up nicely in your locker. Here [in Durham] you do that, you come back the next day and find it still on the floor. Those guys up there [in the big leagues] shower in Evian. Here, we use sewer water."

Rays manager Joe Maddon read the article prior to going on a morning walk Friday.

"The first thought that came to my mind was, 'What does the average fan think when he reads an article like this?'" Maddon said. "And I think an average fan has to be appalled by what he read."

Maddon cited the comment about the shower.

"I have a hard time with that as being the manager of this team," Maddon said. "I think it indicates a lot of work that we have to get done within this organization. ... It's something we don't tolerate. We don't condone. We don't agree with. Furthermore, I was really concerned about the insulting nature of the article toward the city of Durham. Because, for me, it indicates that's a bad place. I've never [seen the stadium at Durham], but I've heard it's one of the top facilities in all of Triple-A. I've heard that the people there are fantastic. So I was appalled by the whole thing."

Maddon went on to say that the photograph of the players glaring also disturbed him.

"The connotation of the photograph is demeaning," Maddon said. "And I just thought the tone of the entire article was negative. And it's not at all how the Devil Rays want to be portrayed."

Maddon was asked if the problem stemmed from the trio's immaturity.

"I was immature when I was 22," Maddon said. "But that doesn't mean that you do certain things or you lack respect. To me, it's a total disrespect situation. Whether it's for the game, or for yourself, or for your parents or where you came from. From the city of Durham. From the Devil Rays, it's a lack of respect.

"I don't know what qualifies people at any age to disrespect people in the manner that that article indicated to me. It speaks to disrespect in general and it speaks to the sense of entitlement that young athletes have today. ... Nobody should be given anything until they've earned it. A brief period of time in the Minor Leagues does not indicate anything except that you did well for a brief period of time. But the respect part of that is the part that offended me the most."

Andrew Friedman, the Rays' executive vice president of baseball operations, expressed similar displeasure to Maddon's and said he has not decided on what actions, if any, will be taken as a result of the article.

Left fielder Carl Crawford just shook his head when asked about the article.

"To be honest with you, when I saw that I was just speechless," Crawford said. "Maybe they think that's how they need to act. I don't know why. I haven't set that kind of example. Other players around here haven't set that kind of example. So I don't know why they're even acting like that."

Reporters teased Ty Wigginton about the "shower in Evian" reference. To wit, Wigginton replied with tongue firmly in cheek: "Actually, we all get individually scrubbed from the trainers. I go back there and sit in a big Jacuzzi [and the trainers] give us a sponge bath."
    I too was left speechless. Dukes is mostly a follower but Upton and Young know better. ukes has tried to show what type of "man" he is on a few occasions. Caertainly did not help his cause with the suspensions. Obviously Young learned nothing from his suspension. I have no idea why players think they "deserve" to be in the big leagues. It's a privelege and an honor.

There were a lot of pros and cons to Greg Vaughn as a clubhouse presence. His physical abuse of teammates was applauded by some and appaling to others. In this case I'd like to see Greg Vaughn in the Durham clubhouse.

Here is a link to the original article. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...ts-cover_x.htm
    Last edited by Team Clark; 07-29-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Re: The Next Generation

So TC, are they now all available to be traded?? or seell their contracts to the Japanese leauge..!!

Sad how some get so spoiled they think they are owed something!!

i would give just about anything except my kids to have the talent to be that close to the majors!!

some players just dont get it..

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445
    So TC, are they now all available to be traded?? or seell their contracts to the Japanese leauge..!!

Sad how some get so spoiled they think they are owed something!!

i would give just about anything except my kids to have the talent to be that close to the majors!!

some players just dont get it..
    I would keep them in AAA. Why reward them for their behavior? Seems to me the more they are given the worse the trio reacts. Arrests, suspensions, fines, etc... C'Mon.

Reminds me of somehting I heard Bill Parcells say. His dad used to tell him in a condescending tone: "Parcells it's never your fault....but you were always there when the trouble happened". Rings true.
    Last edited by Team Clark; 07-29-2006 at 05:40 PM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    I would keep them in AAA. Why reward them for their behavior? Seems to me the more they are given the worse they trio reacts. Arrests, suspensions, fines, etc... C'Mon.

Reminds me of somehting I heard Bill Parcells say. His dad used to tell him in a condescending tone: "Parcells it's never your fault....but you were always there when the trouble happened". Rings true.
    I agree.. i wouldnt reward them either.. being brought o the majors isnt a right its a privledge!!

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    I would keep them in AAA. Why reward them for their behavior? Seems to me the more they are given the worse the trio reacts. Arrests, suspensions, fines, etc... C'Mon.
    I read the article and didn't find it appalling at all. They're frustrated, and with good reason. What exactly have the Devils given them? They've trapped them in the minors. Any other team would've called them up by now or traded them.

Young has already said that he's leaving Tampa as soon as he's a free agent. Isn't there a problem with the top prospect hates the organization before he's even there?

If Tampa is so down on them, I wish they'd send them here. Wasn't the arrest for a DUI? Not a good thing to do, but it's not as if the guy is a killer.

How u doin

they should satay in the minors

Reporters teased Ty Wigginton about the "shower in Evian" reference. To wit, Wigginton replied with tongue firmly in cheek: "Actually, we all get individually scrubbed from the trainers. I go back there and sit in a big Jacuzzi [and the trainers] give us a sponge bath."
    Delmon must have pulled out his voodoo doll of Ty and stuck a pin in the hand. I see Wigginton broke his hand today. Oops. Looks like a roster spot just opened up
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by bottom_feeder

If Tampa is so down on them, I wish they'd send them here.
    Because after all, we're short on lazy, disrespectful, self-absorbed, math-challenged, short-tempered, rule-breaking, sewer-water smelling know-it-all's.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by bottom_feeder
    I. What exactly have the Devils given them? They've trapped them in the minors.
    Why should the Devil Rays "give" them anything? This isn't Christmas for 5 year old kids - this is a major business.

My question is what have these three earned? From this article, it sounds like they are spoiled brats who have earned some more time in the minors while they grow up.

Physically, they may be good enough to earn promotions to "the show" but their apparent lack of maturity is more than enough to keep them where they are until they prove they can handle the big leagues?

I hope Tampa continues to "give" them what they deserve.

I'd demote them to double A. And then I'd make them wash their own uniforms each night. :>)

I appreciate the comments by Maddon. I cannot imagine these three coming up together and making a productive unit that will result in success for the Rays. There had better be a plan for a good mix of strong armed vets in the clubhouse if they decide to keep them together, or else you are looking at continual scratching heads for underachievement.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

better split those guys up.

GOREDSGO32

"Reporters teased Ty Wigginton about the "shower in Evian" reference. To wit, Wigginton replied with tongue firmly in cheek: "Actually, we all get individually scrubbed from the trainers. I go back there and sit in a big Jacuzzi [and the trainers] give us a sponge bath." "

Hahahaha.

I think I saw Upton for a game here in Louisville, he wasn't anything majorly special.

UNFLIPPIN BELIEVABLE...Three idiots.

They have talent but they are idiots...What do you think the chances will be of thi trio being broke up? I'd say pretty good and I bet they get good talent in return....I would stay away from Young like a plague...his brother was fine in Cincy but maybe that was because Vaughn would put the hurt on him if he acted foolish?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I've always wondered where these three's sense of entitlement comes from. Upton has usually been the more quiet and reserved guy, and I defenitely think out of all of them has gotten the shaft. He seems to have tagged along with the other 2 though.

Its been a bad, bad, bad year for all these 3 guys with suspensions, fights, etc. I'd be looking to move them, but EVERY team is going to question each one of these guys make up. As good as Delmon is, or Dukes is, I dont know if I would trade for either guy.

As my old coach used to say.. "Shut the <expletive> up, get yer head in the game, and play ball."

If these guys did that, the rest would take care of itself.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?