Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Germano optioned down

Germano optioned down

MILWAUKEE -- Following the game, the Reds optioned Justin Germano back to Louisville.

Narron said Germano was going back no matter how he pitched, so there obviously is something going on here. The fifth starter's spot won't be needed again until next Saturday, if my math is correct. That start could go to Brandon Claussen, who would be on regular rest if he makes his Monday rehab start as scheduled, and the Reds could use the roster spot in the meantime for another bullpen arm or bench help.

Still, as conservative as the Reds tend to be with rehab assignments and seeing how things play out, I'm surprised they would commit to a schedule like that without knowing how Claussen performs Monday. Which raises the possibility that a trade is in the works. I don't think that would surprise anyone, though I haven't heard anything specific today.

I'm sure it'll all become crystal clear by tomorrow, but this one's got me a bit confused at the moment.

-----

From Marc Lancaster's blog

2. Turn Off Ads?
    GOREDSGO32

Re: Germano optioned down

I really doubt if Germano pitched an awesome game they would have sent him down.

Germano's game wasn't awesome, but it was damned good for his first start.

Note the article said he was going down regardless of how he pitched... that's why he went down. I hope he didn't know that beforehand.

I too think it's suspicious to send him down right now without knowing if Claussen's ready to come off the DL.... it smells of fish.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Germano's game wasn't awesome, but it was damned good for his first start.

Note the article said he was going down regardless of how he pitched... that's why he went down. I hope he didn't know that beforehand.

I too think it's suspicious when you really never know for sure if a guy's ready to come off the DL. It's smells of fish.
    D-Train?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Freelin' it

Something has to be in the works, IMO.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Germano was going back no matter how he pitched
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Somewhat reasonable

I think that, under normal circumstances, Germano's performance earned him a longer stay. But these are not normal circumstances. There's gonna be a new starter on board by Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue
    I think that, under normal circumstances, Germano's performance earned him a longer stay. But these are not normal circumstances. There's gonna be a new starter on board by Monday.
    I wouldn't be so sure. We were all completely shocked by the last deal. I would not be surprised if we are shocked by the trade if one is made (may not be for a pitcher)
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Perhaps it is not so much that Germano went back to AAA as it is that we aren't told anything of the "corresponding move" that makes it so tantalyzing.

One of Krivsky's signature operating procedures is that unlike DanO, Krivsky never sends them out to play a game without a complete roster. So if Germano is already optioned that must mean somebody within the system or somebody just acquired will be present by game time tomorrow to fill his spot.

I guess we only have a max of about 11 hours to wait. What teams are still playing at this hour? A trade announcement could be awaiting the completion of a west coast game.

all games are completed. But I like the 11 hour deadline you just set up. Makes sense and hopefully we see something soon.

I thought he pitched pretty well for a rookie. 8 K's in 5 innings. Nice.

Now the Magic Man is another story. What's up with him?
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed
    I thought he pitched pretty well for a rookie. 8 K's in 5 innings. Nice.

Now the Magic Man is another story. What's up with him?
    he gets blooped to death

Did they bloop him again last night?
    Who's on first?

yup. i dont think he had gotten shelled yet

Can he be stopped?

boo... i think Geronimo earned another start against some team that doesn't have Bill Hall on the roster. But if it was in the cards before he even pitched, oh well.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Turn Off Ads?