Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outfield defense ... it's killing me

Re: Outfield defense ... it's killing me

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum
    Griffey is way done defensively! Dunn is what he is. If Dunn would drop 30 lbs., he would be much better.
    And become what?? If he dropped that much weight he would change completely as a player. It might be good, it might not be. I'm guessing he would transform into a Sean cassey type hitter if he dropped that much weight. Its not like he is out of shape.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 2001MUgrad
    And become what?? If he dropped that much weight he would change completely as a player. It might be good, it might not be. I'm guessing he would transform into a Sean cassey type hitter if he dropped that much weight. Its not like he is out of shape.
    Actually, Dunn has put on quite a bit of weight since he reached the majors and it isn't muscle. He's a little heavy. I don't think that's debatable. But there are other guys who play like that. I'm convinced Dunn would be better offensively and defensively if he were in better shape. It bothers me a little, but the dumb, lazy plays like the other night bother me more.

Still, if he hits the way he has been hitting, he can carry a tub of ice cream to left field with him.

Quote Originally Posted by KySteveH
    Clayton > Lopez.

That wasn't even the point of that trade, but we did upgrade our defense slightly at SS.
    And lost a ton in offense.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001MUgrad
    Did you see Dunn on the play where he blasted the Brewer's catcher? He was completely done (no pun intended) rounding third base. If you think him dropping down to 250 lbs. would affect his power, etc., you are mistaken. He is at least 280 lbs. now. His body fat is way too high.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    And lost a ton in offense.
    Not this month, which really is all that's relevant. The OPS is about .650 - .644 in Lopez's favor, and the batting average is about 25 points in Clayton's favor.

Now, there's no question that Lopez is a better hitter than Clayton, but this isn't the Lopez from the first half of last season anymore. He's still better than Clayton, but he's not really a premier offensive shortstop anymore. And he's terrible defensively. Clayton isn't Ozzie Smith, but he's a definite upgrade. I know I felt better when that game-ending DP ball was hit to Clayton the other night than I would have if it had been Lopez.

Really, the only thing wrong with the offense since the trade has been Junior's atrocious slump and the injury to Ross -- and the slump by Phillips, although he's showing signs of coming out of it. You get those three back to swinging the bats the way they're capable, and the team will be scoring a bunch of runs again. But with Freel producing the way he has, I don't think the offensive numbers have been greatly affected by the trade.

I love how we're talking about Lopez as if he's past his prime at age 26.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

So... now that most people can no longer rag on Adam Dunn for his hitting, a new topic must be found so that the nagging can continue unabated. What happens after he loses 30 pounds?

Good Grief! Will it ever end? There are so many more deserving things to complain about, and a whole lot to be happy about as well.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dicken
    Wow a Griffey injury knock. That's something that's never been said before.

The question is: What would you rather have? Him dive for the ball and possibly miss it, creating extra bases instead of a base hit? Either way, the guy was going to score on third base, just like you said.

Glad I wasn't the only one to pick that up.

And yes, the outfield plays pretty deep....too deep.
    Perhaps a bit more explanation. Griffey would be prone to sudden stops in left or right due to the stands. It is the sudden stops (or starts) that result in most of the instances of reinjuring a damaged hamstring. His trainers have said this. Hatcher has said this. Narron has said this. But what do they know. It's pretty evident that he's not currently making any sudden starts in center thus resulting in what is obviously a loss of range. It would be a much more difficult task to avoid sudden stops in the corner positions. He's not going to right. He's not going to left. Mark it down.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by demas863
    He's not going to right. He's not going to left. Mark it down.
    Then the outfield defense will not get any better.

Junior has been a great center fielder, but his wheels are shot; through no fault of his own. Heck, even the great Mickey Mantle spent the last 2 years of his career at first base.

He'll finish this year out in CF, then he is either a LF, 1B or DH.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    So... now that most people can no longer rag on Adam Dunn for his hitting, a new topic must be found so that the nagging can continue unabated. What happens after he loses 30 pounds?
    He stays healthier and plays longer. Maybe he plays better.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    He stays healthier and plays longer. Maybe he plays better.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I love how we're talking about Lopez as if he's past his prime at age 26.
    That's OK, Dontrelle Willis is apparently a washed-up 24 year old.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?