Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belliard to Cards!

Belliard to Cards!

great another reds killer in our division

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Belliard to Cards!

That may be a big move for the Cardinals. Who did they give up?

hector luna

in other news, the Indians sent down Ramon Vazquez earlier this week to call up Andy Marte, you know, the guy that they kept and DFAd Brandon Phillips. Now, they traded away their current 2nd baseman for nothing. Not exactly a series of moves Shapiro should put on his resume.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Not much to give up for Belliard, in my opinion. Good trade by the Redbirds.

Hmm, I think Hector Luna is somewhat underrated. He brings to the table much of what Belliard does.

Belliard 348 AB (.289 BA, 8 HR 44 RBI, 2 SB, .754 OPS)
    H. Luna 223 AB (.291 BA, 4 HR 21 RBI, 5 SB, .772 OPS)

That's pretty much a wash if you give Luna the same amount of at-bats.

EDIT: Also, Luna has an .816 zone rating with 4 errors this year at 2B while Belliard has a .782 with 8 errors

This is a terrific trade for the Indians IMO and St. Louis didn't really upgrade their team much.
    Last edited by Brutus; 07-30-2006 at 05:22 PM.

Freelin' it

I'm watching the Cubs-Cards on WGN and Luna is still in the game at second base...

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp

This is a terrific trade for the Indians IMO and St. Louis didn't really upgrade their team much.
    good trade when you don't have to play Miles everyday.

Belliard 348 AB (.289 BA, 8 HR 44 RBI, 2 SB, .754 OPS)
    H. Luna 223 AB (.291 BA, 4 HR 21 RBI, 5 SB, .772 OPS)

That's pretty much a wash if you give Luna the same amount of at-bats.
    Luna hasn't proven that he can be an everyday player though. That is why he has been sharing 2B with Miles. If you play Luna everyday, his stats will probably look a lot different. Luna is an ok player half the time.

Matty, 223 at-bats is a pretty good chunk of time. I'll admit I don't watch the Cards every day like you do, but he's on my fantasy team and he's been remarkably consistent all year long from my point of view.

Not that impressed.. Luna was my fav player besides Edmonds.. He got screwed over constantly by TLR playing the bum Miles nightly.. :: Sigh :: .. Not much of an upgrade but still an upgrade though..

Matty, 223 at-bats is a pretty good chunk of time. I'll admit I don't watch the Cards every day like you do, but he's on my fantasy team and he's been remarkably consistent all year long from my point of view.
    I've liked Luna's potential for awhile now, but he hasn't progressed the way that I had hoped he would. This year the Cardinals needed him to step up and be the starting second baseman, and he hasn't been able to do that. Luna and Miles have been platooned at 2B out of necessetiy. Miles isn't a very good player, and this will put him on the bench which makes this an even better trade from the Cards perspective. I just don't know how Luna would do as a starting second baseman.

Funny watching the Indians scramble to make a deal for a second baseman when they had Phillips locked up as it was. The off-field mechinations of this great game often rival what happens between the chalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala
    Funny watching the Indians scramble to make a deal for a second baseman when they had Phillips locked up as it was. The off-field mechinations of this great game often rival what happens between the chalk.
    kind of like the Reds needing an outfield bat.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    Luna hasn't proven that he can be an everyday player though. That is why he has been sharing 2B with Miles. If you play Luna everyday, his stats will probably look a lot different. Luna is an ok player half the time.
    He's never been an everyday player, so of course he hasn't proven he can be one. By the same token, he hasn't proven he can't be. A .772 OPS isn't great but it's not bad for the position, and he doesn't have a strong platoon split. It just strikes me as one of those self-fulfilling prophecies so common in baseball.

Having said that, his career numbers (majors and minors) aren't that strong; that .772 might be as good as it gets.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?