Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Reds will NOT make the playoffs if...

The Reds will NOT make the playoffs if...

1) Royce Clayton is on the team. Sub-average defender with absolutely no stick. As he performs now, he is the type of player winners do not (and cannot) have on their roster. I wanted to give him a chance but the bubble gum loaf yesterday=unforgiveable (as was Dunn's soft toss).
    2) They have 3 catchers on the roster at the end of the season (my vote to go:Larue.) Why have an extra slow, below average hitter always on the bench?
    3) Majewski does not return to form. Having a quality middle to late inning guy is a key to keeping the starters fresh for the final push. Keeping the starters live is a huge issue for the team, and Narron having confidence to go to Majewski will greatly help the health of the starting staff.

Problems 1 & 2 are squarely on Krivsky, and beyond that Wayne could help the Reds problems by getting another starter. Krivsky, IMO, factors heavily in the Reds chances from here on out, and not necessarily in who he acquires but in who he parts with.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Re: The Reds will NOT make the playoffs if...

KGJ has another month like July. Simply putrid and beyond useless is being kind.

Claussen doesn't at least revert to a serviceable 5th starter

Milton ever pitches to a batter in the 7th or beyond with the tying run at the plate or on base.

Freel does not start 75% of the games

EE does not get at least 150 ABs over the last 57 games

Someone in the NL WC race actually gets hot and goes on a 12-2 type run soon. Getting Beyond 87-88 wins is tough for this team.

The Reds will NOT make the playoffs if Royce Clayton and Juan Castro continue to be the everyday shortstops...

Jerry Narron continues to sit one of the best young players in baseball...

Jerry Narron continues to give away games like the last game vs the Mets and today's game vs the Brewers...
    I miss Adam Dunn.

need to solve the SS problem. Clayton/Castro are not it. They really have no business on a major league roster much less starting games.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

1. If Narron continues to platoon so many positions [3B, 1B, RF, SS, and C]

2. If David Ross continues to be the primary catcher and we continue to carry 3.

3. If EE isn't starting more than RA.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

as long as jerry is the manager...

The Reds won't make the playoffs if they don't trade for Miguel Tejada. I know everyone says we need another 5th starter but that is only 8 more starts the rest of the year. I think this team needs another RBI guy in this line up. Some who can provide some protection for JR and Dunn and fill that black hole at short where we have Castro and Clayton. As for the 5th starter I agree with Tracy Jones bring up Bailey Or if you are that worried about him give Dumatrait a chance.

Reds and 26.2's

ahhh...

another upbeat thread..

I'll flip it around to what the Reds need to make the playoffs:

1) Adam Dunn and at least one other everyday hitter need to post some gaudy numbers through the last two months (.950+ OPS).

2) Harang and Arroyo need to deliver high quality starts (7+ IP, no more than 3 runs allowed) most everytime they take the mound.

3) Ramirez and Milton need to be no worse that 4.50 ERA pitchers from this moment on.

4) The defense has to deliver at least a .700 DER. It's been .690 for the season to date. (The top four teams in MLB are Detroit - .721, San Diego - .713, St. Louis - .711, NY Mets - .710, and it's no mistake that those teams are sitting in playoff positions, defense in fact may be the chief differentiator in the NL at the moment).

5) The bullpen needs to keep its collect ERA for August and September under 4.00.

6) Ryan Freel needs to lead off most every night.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    The Reds will NOT make the playoffs if Royce Clayton and Juan Castro continue to be the everyday shortstops...

Jerry Narron continues to sit one of the best young players in baseball...

Jerry Narron continues to give away games like the last game vs the Mets and today's game vs the Brewers...
    How did Narron give away today's game? The Reds were dominated by a world class pitcher and almost came back.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by M2

2) Harang and Arroyo need to deliver high quality starts (7+ IP, no more than 3 runs allowed) most everytime they take the mound.
    And that's not going to happen. Those two have been sent through the woodchipper. They are headed toward career terra incognita. My guess is that one finishes the season on the DL.

I'd rather they fall out of contention than waste two very good arms in an attempt at playing Jerry Narron's "Moby Dick, or Why My Career Hinges on this Team Making the Playoffs."
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-30-2006 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    How did Narron give away today's game? The Reds were dominated by a world class pitcher and almost came back.
    Left Harang in too long? Let Castro bat for himself in the 9th?
    I miss Adam Dunn.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Originally posted by oregonred
    KGJ has another month like July. Simply putrid and beyond useless is being kind.

Claussen doesn't at least revert to a serviceable 5th starter
    I could not agree more with these 2 things, those 2 are very pivotal.

A couple more things....

Clayton/Castro, Larue and any Pitcher are the bottom 3rd of your order for more than 0 games the rest of the season.

Adam Dunn, Bronson Arroyo or Aaron Harang get hurt. (God Forbid)

We don't find a way to score more runs when we are forced to put the ball in play instead of relying on the pitcher to walk more than 2-3 guys a game.

We don't find better replacements in the pen than Standridge & Shackelford & perhaps Weathers. Mercker, Belisle & Balfour? Heck I am not even sure of which one of those 2 trio's are better.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    They are headed toward career terra incognita. My guess is that one finishes the season on the DL.
    That would be absolutely horrible. All told, we haven't had such bad luck with the injuries this year. I'd argue that EdE has been the worst, if only because it seemed to lose him his spot (whether he's still hurting or not).

I think that both Harang and Arroyo are pretty durable. But this weather is tough, the season is long, and Narron does need to start using this extensive bullpen Krivsky's gotten for him. Otherwise this trade will stand not only as useless, but detrimental.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'll flip it around to what the Reds need to make the playoffs:

1) Adam Dunn and at least one other everyday hitter need to post some gaudy numbers through the last two months (.950+ OPS).

3) Ramirez and Milton need to be no worse that 4.50 ERA pitchers from this moment on.

4) The defense has to deliver at least a .700 DER. It's been .690 for the season to date. (The top four teams in MLB are Detroit - .721, San Diego - .713, St. Louis - .711, NY Mets - .710, and it's no mistake that those teams are sitting in playoff positions, defense in fact may be the chief differentiator in the NL at the moment).

5) The bullpen needs to keep its collect ERA for August and September under 4.00.

6) Ryan Freel needs to lead off most every night.

Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?