Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tracy Jones says "Bring Bailey up now".

Tracy Jones says "Bring Bailey up now".

On extra innings, he said that its time. He's talked to numerous scouts and the scouts say he's ready. The reds need starting pitching and he said by brining up Bailey, you don't have to trade away prospects. Low risk, possibly high return more or less. It makes sense.

Most of the contradictions I've read on this is that it'll Wagner-ize him. However, if he was a 5th starter and if he was efficient and with the bolstered bullpen (so you could keep his pitch counts relatively low), what do you have to lose? I used to be against it (as recently as a week or two ago), and I still don't know about his 2nd/3rd pitches, but I don't see why don't give him a shot and see what he can bring. He is tearing it up in AA and scouts say if you can pitch in AA, you can pitch in the big leagues. The only thing that I'd be concerned about is him getting rocked and it hurting his confidence (Brad Lidge anyone)? However, you gotta get over that hump at some point anyhow, so why not give him at least a taste now? Give him 1 start or 2 or 3 and see how he does. If he just can't handle it, send him back.

What do you think?
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 07-30-2006 at 06:00 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tracy Jones says "Bring Bailey up now".

Pay no attention to Tracy Jones.

I just don't feel right in bringing him up. Most reports I've read said that he gets by on pure heat in AA. And while a 97 mph heater in the majors is a very good weapon, if you don't have a 2nd and 3rd pitch to back it up, you'll get smacked hard. It's our first taste of winning in a long time, and everyone is excited, but I just don't feel the need in rushing his progress to try and bolster our chances this year.

Tracy said that he wasn't ready last week, now he says he is.

I do wonder why Bailey is not headed to AAA though.

After seeing him in the Futures game, I don't think he is ready.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan

I do wonder why Bailey is not headed to AAA though.
    Yeah. He said he based that opinion off of seeing him once (at the Futures game), but hasn't seen him since. He said he knows numerous scouts throughout some different organizations and they have all told him that he's ready.

My biggest concern would be the number of innings that he would throw if we brought him up here. I dont want him throwing 200 innings this year, that could really hurt him later. ( Like prior and wood). So although stuff wise he might be ready to be in the majors I think it would be wiser to let him pitch a few more starts this year and then at the end of august shut him down and tell him to come ready for next spring and maybe he can make the rotation then. I would rather have a number one starter for the next ten years then a good pitcher for two months then a broken down arm after that.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    I was thinking the same thing. I remember hearing Jones saying just last week that he wasn't ready.

Contrary to what Jones is saying, there was a column in today's DDN and a comment from McCoy saying that scouts and AA hitters who have faced Bailey are saying he is not ready. They all say he relies on his fastball too much, cannot get his curveball in the strikezone consistantly, and does not use his changeup enough.

Tracy played the game, I guess we should listen right?
    Go Gators!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

^Exactly- the kid is 20 years old. The Reds can wait for him until next year. He needs to spend this time learning to pitch, not throw, and build up arm strength. By all accounts, he is doing both.

I though Germano pitched a decent game yesterday. Not great, but certainly better than some of the outings we've seen from Milton, Claussen, etc. If we can't use him in the rotation, then maybe he was being auditioned to use as trade bait?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Yea and If I told you I lived on a farm, would you believe me if I said Donkey's fly out of my butt when I cough!!!!!
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Again, what about bringing him up for 1 start? If he gets pounded, you bring the bullpen in (that is supposed to be much improved) and hope they can keep you in the game. If he does well, let him have a 2nd or 3rd start. As a 5th starter in the rotation, his inning count shouldn't be too bad and as long as his pitch counts don't get too high and you bring in the bullpen, I think it's a relatively low risk.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    After seeing him in the Futures game, I don't think he is ready.
    Dont take anything out of his outting at the futures game. His last 3 starts, he has been mixing in his breaking and offspeed stuff very well. In his last few starts he has been freezing batters with both his change and his curve. I dont think he is ready just yet, but mainly just becuase he would hurt the bullpen because he is on a strict pitch count and he is closing in on the amount of innings he should pitch in the season anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    As long as he agrees with us, lately he has been, when he stops agreeing with us I will turn him off.

Has Richard or Rod called in the show tonight? What do they think?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Turn Off Ads?