Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'd move Milton

I'd move Milton

If I could make only one move between now and 4:00 tomorrow (other than acquiring Webb), I'd bust my tail to move Milton out. With the seemingly high price being paid for pitching, I think there has to be some takers out there for him. We get him off the books for 2007 (although this seems to be less of a mantra with Cast as the prior regime) and we lose a pretty poor performer or at least one so ill-suited for GABP with the potential to get something in return. Now, I have no idea what the specific market would be for an Eric Milton, but if Lopez and Redman are on some teams wish list, then there has to be one. I also don't think this lessens our chances for this year as I think Dumatrait/Germano could give similar results. In all honesty I don't think this is the Reds' year but feel with a few off season moves and promotions, 2007 could be. I shudder to think that next year still has Milton in the rotation. Move him while you have the chance as I don't see him being moved over the Winter.
    This place use to be fun

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'd move Milton

agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

No one in their right mind would pay him what we are

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

the real problem here is his salary. It would have to be the yankees or the red sox to pick it up. Yankees have a weaker farm system than us and what they do have they will not give up for Jesus incarnate. However the theory is sound. Dump salary and strengthen our farm system for next year but...
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Man Pills

The Reds would have to give payroll relief to the receiving team. But that's fine; it needs to be done. The Reds need to not have to endure Milton's starts anymore.

I've been preaching this all year. And I think there is a market for Milton -> the Yankees. For christ's sake, I even heard last week that the Red Sox were inquiring about Jeremy Affeldt. Ummm...is it his 2/1 walk/strikeout ratio of his 5.91 era that the Sox were getting all excited about??

There are just NO good starters on the market right now. Milton has a terrible contract, but I think the Yankees would take him in a salary dump.

And, here's what I was thinking about today:

Milton and Kearns to New York for prospects (nobody of real significant value) - they would have made that move.

Lopez to Washington for Bill Bray.

I really think Krivsky could have pulled that off. Then we go into 2007 with a payroll of < $60 million, have enough money to sign Aaron Harang to a 3-year deal and go out and get another quality starter. Oh well....

Milton has been terrible and is way overpaid, but who are you going to have replace him for this season in the rotation (especially if the Reds don't acquire another pitcher before the deadline)?

Quote Originally Posted by PTI (pti)
    I've been preaching this all year. And I think there is a market for Milton -> the Yankees. For christ's sake, I even heard last week that the Red Sox were inquiring about Jeremy Affeldt. Ummm...is it his 2/1 walk/strikeout ratio of his 5.91 era that the Sox were getting all excited about??

There are just NO good starters on the market right now. Milton has a terrible contract, but I think the Yankees would take him in a salary dump.

And, here's what I was thinking about today:

Milton and Kearns to New York for prospects (nobody of real significant value) - they would have made that move.

Lopez to Washington for Bill Bray.

I really think Krivsky could have pulled that off. Then we go into 2007 with a payroll of < $60 million, have enough money to sign Aaron Harang to a 3-year deal and go out and get another quality starter. Oh well....
    I understand your intentions. But do you honestly think New York would take on all of those guys salaries for two prospects? Probably not. We would have to eat both of them, especially Milton's, and then the trade would have been pretty pointless.

Plus, you don't trade an everyday player and 4th/5th starter for two prospects. That would be worse than what Krivsky did with Washington....not saying it's bad, but it definitely wouldn't be any better.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

If your going to throw him away, and basically eat his contract, why not just throw him in the pen and use him as a LOOGY?

If he can get a lefthanded bat out once in a while it's alot better than just throwing all that money into the trashcan.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    If your going to throw him away, and basically eat his contract, why not just throw him in the pen and use him as a LOOGY?

If he can get a lefthanded bat out once in a while it's alot better than just throwing all that money into the trashcan.
    I'm not advocating eating his contract. The Yanks just picked up $30 mil in Abreu alone. I'm not expecting a high return either. I also don't think the Yanks are a trading partner anymore with the trade they made today. The Sox may bite though.
    This place use to be fun

Who would want him?
    Go Gators!

I think most would move Milton, but in order to be a mover you must first find a movee. Therein lies the rub.

This was another pitcher that was traded to the Redsox. Trot Nixon was hurt tonight. The Redsox are looking for an outfielder and starting pitching. Would a Wise and Milton package at least get some prospects?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...762&type=story

BoSox get Rangers reliever Corey for minor-leaguer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Texas Rangers traded right-handed reliever Bryan Corey to the Boston Red Sox on Sunday for minor league pitcher Luis Mendoza.

Bryan Corey
    Relief Pitcher
    Texas Rangers

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM W L BB K ERA
    16 1 1 8 13 2.60

Corey was designated for assignment Tuesday when the Rangers activated starting pitcher Adam Eaton from the disabled list. Corey was 1-1 with a 2.60 ERA in 16 appearances for Texas after his contract was purchased from Triple-A Oklahoma on June 9.

Mendoza was 1-5 with a 6.38 ERA in nine starts for Double-A Portland after starting the season at Class-A Wilmington, where he went 5-4 with a 3.14 ERA in 13 starts. The Rangers will send the right-hander to Class-A Bakersfield.

To make room for Corey on the 40-man roster, the Red Sox transferred Matt Clement from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day list. Clement has been on the DL with a right shoulder strain since June 16 (retroactive to June 15). He is 5-5 with a 6.61 ERA in 12 starts this season.

Before joining the Rangers this season, the 32-year-old Corey had appeared in only four major league games, with no decisions. His last game was for the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2002 after he pitched three games for Arizona -- and current Rangers manager Buck Showalter -- in 1998.

Corey went to spring training this year with the Chicago Cubs, but was cut before signing with the Rangers as a minor league free agent.

"It's amazing how the last five months have gone," Corey said. "I had a hard time finding a job to where I am now. ... It's exciting."

Corey's only two major league decisions came at Fenway Park, a win against the Red Sox on June 10 and a loss on July 20.

The Red Sox have better options elsewhere IMO.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I think we all have to face the cold hard facts here Milton is not getting moved. I believe mgmt wants to keep a lefty starter in the rotation and without knowing the status of Claussen they would much rather hold onto Milton.

Turn Off Ads?