Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal Hobbies

Personal Hobbies

I've been coming onto this site for around 2 years or so, and I know a many of us share different hobbies (music, reading, etc....). One that I enjoy is building model airplanes. It is always nice to have your work recognized, and finally, a premier website for the hobby featured one of my kits, so I thought I'd share it. It's a 1/48 scale P-47D Thunderbolt listed about halfway down the frontpage of the site. And Creek14, if you read this, I didn't forget about the F-15E kit, I've just been on a big WWII kick lately.

The link: www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Personal Hobbies

My dad was into that big time for awhile. He's slowly moved away from it. He has a totally awesome p51 Mustang.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

WWII history is one of my biggest hobbies. I'm currently reading "It Never Snows in Septbember", the German view of Operation Market Garden.

I also love to play golf and I love musical theatre (yes I know it's weird, but I love it nonetheless).
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm a professional musician and music teacher so obviously that's one of my hobbies. I'm also a stamp collector; interestingly enough, MWM, one of my specialties is the World War II era. I have quite a bit of european material from that era...it's interesting stuff if you like history.

Amps, old pedals, guitars, old electronics generally. The more obscure and pointless the device, the better.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    WWII history is one of my biggest hobbies. I'm currently reading "It Never Snows in Septbember", the German view of Operation Market Garden.

I also love to play golf and I love musical theatre (yes I know it's weird, but I love it nonetheless).
    Speaking of WWII books, I read somewhere that "Flags Of Our Fathers" is coming to the big screen. Is there any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Amps, old pedals, guitars, old electronics generally. The more obscure and pointless the device, the better.
    Do any of them go to 11?

I was really into guitars at one time. I loved the shredding era of Paul Gilbert, Stev Vai and all of those guys. I could never adapt to the alternative music scene, so I gave up on music and sold all of my equipment off

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    Do any of them go to 11?
    Not normally. But I've tinkered with a few and destroyed a good many tubes in my day. So, yeah, I've invented my own version of "11" a few times.

For the record, I'm a godawful musician. I just like to fry circuit boards mostly.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I am a huge movie geek.
    No, I don't know who the hairdresser was for Cleopatra - not that type of movie geek.
    Quite simply, I enjoy and collect movies and am constantly watching them. From the original Thomas Edison experimentations to some of today's hidden treasures like The Hamburg Cell, I am always looking to add to my collection.

You guys have hobbies other than baseball?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    You guys have hobbies other than baseball?
    Graphic Design, Biking and Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Graphic Design, Biking and Cooking
    I suppose you people like to be "well-rounded".

For me, it's clothes. Theater and animals too, I guess. but I don't know that I care for them deep down as much as clothes.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I love cooking.

I'd say cooking, sports, and music is mine.

Like a lot of guys.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I have a couple. I mountain bike quite a bit lately. Enough that I'm thinking about upgrading my bike. It'll be even nicer come fall when I don't have to drive 70-100 miles to find a place to ride on the weekends due to the heat. Because of the mountain biking my wife and I and our friends have been camping more often lately, which means more biking and fishing and birdwatching as well.

Love golfing - during the spring and fall I go twice a month. Best part is I tend to travel for work so I take my clubs with me and go whenver I can. My work has lots of downtime - 10 hour days then back to an empty hotel room for weeks on end, so the clubs and a nearby range/course make the weeks fly by.

Also dogs are a hobby. My wife and I are big saps for boxers & other large dogs - we have anywhere from 1-5 at a time doing rescues, training, raising, etc.

I tried to re-take up bass guitar playing earlier this year but after a few months it just went back in the case and I haven't had time or desire to take it back out again. Maybe some day in the future.

Turn Off Ads?