Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Wagner Called Up by the Nats

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Ryan Wagner Called Up by the Nats

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=MLB&id=3722

He's the forgotten casualty of "The Trade."

In my opinion, it was WAY too early to give up on him. He's a first-rounder, just llike the centerpiece in our haul from our nation's capital, Mr. Bill Bray.

Most Reds' fans hated losing Lopez and Kearns for the guys we got in return. The two of them would have been overly sufficient for the players we eventually received. Throwing in Ryan Wagner was just stupid. NO one can convince me he was a deal-breaker on Bowden's end and, on Krivsky's end, there does not appear to have been a deal-breaker. He'd have given and given until our bullpen needs were addressed.

It is wrong for me to root against Ryan as he did not ask to be traded (to my knowledge), and he is, by all accounts, a nice guy. Still, early returns from this trade have been abyssmal (See: Majewski, Gary), and success on the ML Level by Wagner might just destroy Reds' fans morale.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: Ryan Wagner Called Up by the Nats

he needed a change of scenery he stunk it up at AAA this year no exactly screaming call up for the reds change of scenery in washington might rejuvenate him i wish the kid the best no pressure in the second half for the nats as there well out of it hopefully the kid can go pitch and pitch well

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski

In my opinion, it was WAY too early to give up on him. He's a first-rounder, just llike the centerpiece in our haul from our nation's capital, Mr. Bill Bray.

Most Reds' fans hated losing Lopez and Kearns for the guys we got in return. The two of them would have been overly sufficient for the players we eventually received. Throwing in Ryan Wagner was just stupid. NO one can convince me he was a deal-breaker on Bowden's end and, on Krivsky's end, there does not appear to have been a deal-breaker. He'd have given and given until our bullpen needs were addressed.

It is wrong for me to root against Ryan as he did not ask to be traded (to my knowledge), and he is, by all accounts, a nice guy. Still, early returns from this trade have been abyssmal (See: Majewski, Gary), and success on the ML Level by Wagner might just destroy Reds' fans morale.
    I may be wrong, but I believe some posters with "inside info" have said he is a jerk in other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels
    I may be wrong, but I believe some posters with "inside info" have said he is a jerk in other forums.
    You may be right. His personality is irrelevant.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

You may be right. His personality is irrelevant.
    I would say it is relevant if Cap'n Morgan is considering rooting for/following him after being traded. But the Captain is the one to make that call.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

His personality is irrelevant.
    It's possible that it's irrelevant.

If he chooses not to take advice/coaching he could very well never amount to anything. So his personality could very well be very relevant, and possibly Krivsky witnessed this during his evaluations.

Over and over again we have seen people say things about pitchers, like they have absolute filthy stuff, then they never amount to anything. I think it could be the personality of the individual that plays a part in that.

and Captain, if you want to root for the guy that is up to you. I'll be rooting against him....when he plays the Reds.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Seem every player we trade ends up being called lazy, a clubhouse problem, a jerk or ext.

Maybe it's all true..but it is Interesting
    Go Gators!

I think Wagner was our Brandon Phillips. His relationship with the organization had soured to the point where he was never going to be productive for us. Since it was clear the Reds had given up on him, his trade value was about zero.

I'm not saying Wagner will have a rebirth in Wash or not, but it's a case of where you might as well just move the guy. I would've preferred to get more for him as well though. I would think he could've had similiar value to Gernamo for example.

I do agree with you that Wagner might come back and bite us.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    It's possible that it's irrelevant.

If he chooses not to take advice/coaching he could very well never amount to anything. .
    That's a pretty harsh accusation. From what I've read about him, he readily did listen to everything the Reds told him to do. He tried to learn a changeup like DanO wanted and he tried the new arm angles the Reds wanted him to.

It looks like Washington is taking the approach of telling him just to pitch like he did in college. In other words, Wash is telling him to stop doing what the Reds' coaches told him to do.

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Seem every player we trade ends up being called lazy, a clubhouse problem, a jerk or ext.

Maybe it's all true..but it is Interesting
    Just wait until you leave the board, we'll be calling you all kinds of names, Mr Cancer.

It's been going on for a long time. Everytime someone leaves the Reds, suddenly all these rumors appear about what a selfish jerk the guy was. Personally, I think a lot of it is made up.

success on the ML Level by Wagner might just destroy Reds' fans morale.
    LOL. last place finishes destroy fan morale. Trevor Hoffman doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    LOL. last place finishes destroy fan morale. Trevor Hoffman doesn't
    This trade has not been popular. My point is that most people are forgetting about Wagner in the midst of losing Kearns and Lopez. Say what you will about Majewski being unlucky & his DIPS, BABIP, DHARMA, and GIGO, so on and so forth....this was a very questionable deal. If Wagner turns it around for WAS and becomes an effective middle reliever, people are going to start throwing babies from balconies.

I heard that Wags was toting a 7+ ERA with New Orleans about a week ago and he had a 7+ ERA for much of the time he spent with Louisville. Wagner is a lucky guy...he's back in the major leagues.

Has his pitching really merited the call-up or has the call-up come about because JimBo and his ego are hellbent on showing the world that he couldnt of possibly been wrong about his former #1 pick?

Wagner had a brief taste of success a few yrs ago while NL batters/mgrs/scouts were getting to know him. Once word got around to lay off the low and away slider, Wagner was in trouble. Back in those days, I recall a radio interview where he was asked if he was developing another pitch. His reply was along the lines of, "Nah, I'll just stick with what got me here". I figured his hard-headedness would lead to his eventual downfall.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 07-31-2006 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Just wait until you leave the board, we'll be calling you all kinds of names, Mr Cancer.

It's been going on for a long time. Everytime someone leaves the Reds, suddenly all these rumors appear about what a selfish jerk the guy was. Personally, I think a lot of it is made up.
    I agree, 95% of it's junk made up to try and justify deals that don't look so hot from the get go.

Expect to hear Germano was a grade a JERK soon
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I agree, 95% of it's junk made up to try and justify deals that don't look so hot from the get go.

Expect to hear Germano was a grade a JERK soon
    Yeah, he and Zach Ward were real headcases: lazy, hard to get along with, bad attitude, wouldn't listen to coachs....

Turn Off Ads?