Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The more things change.....

The more things change.....

I wake up this morning and run to the computer to see what the latest rumors/deals are and the names Maddux, Schmidt, Zito, Oswalt and Marquis are being thrown around right now. No mention of the Reds anywhere. Hell, even the Marlins are interested in Soriano. Didn't Castellini say that he would be fine with adding payroll if they were in it? Didn't he say he wanted to win more than anything?

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to see Wayne mortgage the future for 2 months of Zito, or something like that. But I would like to see something here. Some mention like "The Reds contacted the Giants regarding Schmidt, but their asking price of Bailey and another prospect was too high." If they go and get Redman or someone like that, this will be a real bust of a deadline and not the best way to start a new era in Cincy.

I saw another post somewhere saying, "Isn't it better to be buyers rather than sellers this year?" But are they really buyers yet?

Here's hoping for the best today!
    Last edited by edabbs44; 07-31-2006 at 06:50 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The more things change.....

Ed, our only hope is the fact that this is the 1st trade deadline of the new organization. I hope Kriv and Castellini are staying quiet to the press due to working on something that will improve the club substantially, and don;t want to show their hand.

Castellini has said all along payroll would be increased at the deadline if we were in it. I haven't seen him go back on his word on anything yet, so there is still much hope in my mind.

I'll be killing the F5 key all day on the main board.

In Opera, you can set a tab to refresh automatically.

Whoa, a fellow Opera user!
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

You can't have it both ways.

You aren't going to get a Zito, or a Soriano etc. without mortgaging the future. And Oswalt ain't going anywhere.

Marquis???? He's one of the majors worst starters this year.

Unfortunately I'm not sure there is anything worth buying.

It is doubtful that Willis, Zito or Oswalt are really available. A's are in 1st place, Marlins don't really need to shave any more salary and are still within striking distance of the wild card and the Astros are apparently still going for it. It is possible the A's MIGHT trade Zito because they realize they are not good enough to win the WS this year - but it would take a king's ransom to get him.

That leaves pitchers like Redman, Byrd, Hernandez and Armas as the best available options. If that is the case I would happier if the Reds sat this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    You can't have it both ways.

You aren't going to get a Zito, or a Soriano etc. without mortgaging the future. And Oswalt ain't going anywhere.

Marquis???? He's one of the majors worst starters this year.
    Not that I need a top tier starter, just that I would like something done to improve the team. Right handed power hitter? Another starter? A shortstop? Three holes needed to be filled. The biggest deal made so far was extremely questionable and was lauded by some b/c it saved money. Sound familiar?

And Marquis...take out his two starts where LaRussa needed him to eat up innings this past month and his ERA is 4.23 or something like that. We have DFAed more pitchers than anyone in the history of baseball. I'll take Marquis over Mays, Claussen, White, Burns, Hammond and the rest of the gang.

Quote Originally Posted by puca
    Unfortunately I'm not sure there is anything worth buying.

It is doubtful that Willis, Zito or Oswalt are really available. A's are in 1st place, Marlins don't really need to shave any more salary and are still within striking distance of the wild card and the Astros are apparently still going for it. It is possible the A's MIGHT trade Zito because they realize they are not good enough to win the WS this year - but it would take a king's ransom to get him.

That leaves pitchers like Redman, Byrd, Hernandez and Armas as the best available options. If that is the case I would happier if the Reds sat this one out.
    Nothing wrong with Armas. If they don't have to give up anything major, then he would be a huge upgrade over some of the others.

Worth The Wait

I agree with puca--- the guys we REALLY need just won't be available at a price we can afford. I would still trade for a guy like Byrd if it meant giving up a middling prospect. Seeing we're so close to the WC, I think any pitcher that is better than Milton/Claussen could help us.

My prediction is that we make a deal for a back of the rotation pitcher as mentioned above.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I would LOVE to pick up Armas JR, but he should have come over in the Lopez/Kearns fiasco.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

There are a number of things the Reds could do to improve the team and most of them don't involve trades.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski
    I would LOVE to pick up Armas JR, but he should have come over in the Lopez/Kearns fiasco.
    I do think Wayne missed an opportunity there, but we will probably never know. My gut feeling is that Bowden would have added Armas into that deal to get "his guys".

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    ?

And Marquis...take out his two starts where LaRussa needed him to eat up innings this past month and his ERA is 4.23 or something like that.
    You take out Milton's 2 worse starts this year and he's at 4.43 (Marquis would be 4.37).

You can play that game with any pitcher and it looks pretty good.

Claussen would be at 4.38.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    You take out Milton's 2 worse starts this year and he's at 4.43 (Marquis would be 4.37).

You can play that game with any pitcher and it looks pretty good.

Claussen would be at 4.38.
    Marquis stayed in the game a lot longer than he should have b/c of other circumstances.

Turn Off Ads?