Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Lohse is a Red

Re: Kyle Lohse is a Red

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    What's hilarious is reading some other teams' forums right now. Wayne is certainly popular: everyone wants to trade with him.
    Both Phillies fans and Twins fans seemed to be happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

What's hilarious is reading some other teams' forums right now. Wayne is certainly popular: everyone wants to trade with him.
    I don't think either of today's deals were bad. I'm not sure how much they'll help, but he certainly wasn't fleeced.

The only deal where I really think Krivsky's struck out on so far is the Kearns/Lopez fiasco. The rest have been pretty insignificant.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds
    The Lohse deal would make *some* sense if Krivsky is also going after someone like Schmidt. The best case is, he lands Schmidt and uses Lohse as a spot starter/long reliever if necessary. If the deal for Schmidt or someone of his caliber falls through, then Lohse is the fallback.

Personally, I think WK grouped Lohse and Redman in a similar group and pulled the trigger on the guy that cost him the least. I think Redman's out of the picture now.

Good thoughts. Now, if he can pull Schmidt out of SF, you could feel the momentum swing in the Central.
    Hope Springs Eternal

Who cares?

Wayne has made this team from a cellar dweller to a team competiting for the NL Central crown.

I don't give a crap what other fans (or quite frankly Reds fans) say about him.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

This is Rob Neyer from ESPN's trade deadline chat:

Dan (Minnesota)
    Rob, do you see the Twins making any more trades besides the Lohse trade to the Reds? What would you do if you were Terry Ryan?

ROB NEYER
    If I were Terry Ryan I probably would make sure that my scouting director was the happiest scouting director around. And I would thank my lucky stars that Kyle Lohse won't be around to blow any more games.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I dunno. For one, I don't think Stairs adds enough "power" to be that right handed power bat the Reds are looking for. Secondly, the assumption being made is that Claussen is and will continue to be completely healthy. if Claussen falters, whom do we have waiting in the wings? Kyle Lohse? <shudder> I still think this team needs another starter more than it needs another bat. I'm not sold on Claussen being effective for the remainder of the season, though stanger things have happened.
    He hasn't been what I would call "effective" since the Reds acquired him. Looks to me like he expects to get hit hard every start. No confidence or presence on the mound. He needs to pitch in a very big ballpark with a lot of good outfielders.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    The only deal where I really think Krivsky's struck out on so far is the Kearns/Lopez fiasco. The rest have been pretty insignificant.
    I don't know--we've certainly relieved the Twins of two of their worst players, while sending live bodies the other way.

I actually think Ward was an interesting prospect and might have been a MLB starting pitcher down the road. Lohse is pretty much effluvium.

Well, now that Kyle is going to be out of the pen I don't hate the move as much.

Tick tock, tick tock, more deals on the way?
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Well, now that Kyle is going to be out of the pen I don't hate the move as much.

Tick tock, tick tock, more deals on the way?
    I halfway like the Lohse deal now that he's going to be in the bullpen.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I actually think Ward was an interesting prospect and might have been a MLB starting pitcher down the road. Lohse is pretty much effluvium.
    I had never even heard of Ward prior to this deal. granted, I don't keep up with the farm system as much as others on here, but I generally know who the better prospects are, and Ward wasn't even on my radar screen. He might project well, but he's a Low-A pitcher. It's really hard for me to be upset at the loss of an A ball pitcher who doesn't project to be lights out when the return is an MLB arm capable of helping out in the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    This is Rob Neyer from ESPN's trade deadline chat:
    Yeah, I posted that on Page 9 - man, I get no respect!!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    He hasn't been what I would call "effective" since the Reds acquired him. Looks to me like he expects to get hit hard every start. No confidence or presence on the mound. He needs to pitch in a very big ballpark with a lot of good outfielders.
    No he hasn't. That's why handing him the keys to the fifth starter spot during a playoff chase with no fallback option concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    yes there's another deal. the market is very high for pre-arbitration relievers, and now we have some to deal

maybe we wagged the dog.
    Outside of what the Reds paid, I don't see where the market's been all that high.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Why wouldn't you? It's like trading baseball cards with the only kid on the block who doesn't read "Beckett."

This trade stinks on ice. Hell, I don't even care about giving up Zach Ward at this point (and I should, because he's exactly the type of pitching prospect the Reds need to be hanging on to) -- what exactly does Kyle Lohse add to this team that wasn't already there yesterday afternoon?

He's a right-handed LOOGY -- big market for those, eh? This trade reeks of panic to get something done and Krivsky falling back to players that he knows instead of looking objectively for better players to add to the team. This is yet another situation where no deal was prferrable to this deal.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    He's a right-handed LOOGY -- big market for those, eh? This trade reeks of panic to get something done and Krivsky falling back to players that he knows instead of looking objectively for better players to add to the team. This is yet another situation where no deal was prferrable to this deal.
    I agree assuming there are no further trades coming. However, this trade reeks to me as the set-up for something else. Too many relievers, and too many cooks in the bullpen stew right now. Something's gotta give.

Turn Off Ads?