Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Lohse is a Red

Re: Kyle Lohse is a Red

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    yes there's another deal. the market is very high for pre-arbitration relievers, and now we have some to deal
    Has anyone other than the Reds traded for a pre-arb reliever? I don't think so (but I could be wrong). Therefore, it doesn't mean that other teams put such a premium on youth.

There's no way Wayne is shopping Bray or Maj though. He's not going to reflip them after declaring they were worth the high price paid.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    It's really hard for me to be upset at the loss of an A ball pitcher who doesn't project to be lights out when the return is an MLB arm capable of helping out in the bullpen.
    Implicit in that statement is your belief that Lohse is an MLB-quality arm who can help out in the bullpen.

On that, I'm afraid we differ. 19 IP of solid relief in largely mop-up roles does not, to me, erase the fact that Lohse resembled Charlie Brown on the hill for the vast majority of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    Both Phillies fans and Twins fans seemed to be happy.

We were pretty happy when we traded Randa last year ... did either of the guys we got for him contribute?

Nothing is more underrated around here than average major league talent. We're so busy looking for the next great thing, we forget that sometimes just average is all you need.

Krivsky has added average major league talent without touching Bailey, Bruce, Votto or Wood. Those are the legitimate prospects in the organization. He has bolstered the team for the stretch run and hasn't cashed in a legitimate prospect yet.

So other fans feel good today. Great. But if Lohse comes here and wins three games down the stretch for us and we make the playoffs, while this A-baller never reaches the majors (still the most likely outcome), who won the trade?

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    Implicit in that statement is your belief that Lohse is an MLB-quality arm who can help out in the bullpen.

On that, I'm afraid we differ. 19 IP of solid relief in largely mop-up roles does not, to me, erase the fact that Lohse resembled Charlie Brown on the hill for the vast majority of the season.
    ...and Ward was, by all accounts, a decent but not exceptional prospect.

Hence my inability to generate any strong feelings for this deal. Perhaps that's where you and I differ.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Outside of what the Reds paid, I don't see where the market's been all that high.
    quiet down, now. loose lips sink ships. WayneK's trying to pitch a perfect game. Elmer Fudd can fly but only until he realizes that he's flying.

Hence my inability to generate any strong feelings for this deal. Perhaps that's where you and I differ.
    My strong feelings have more to do with Lohse's suckitude than Ward's potential, to be honest.

I don't like going out of the way to acquire bad baseball players, I certainly don't like paying for them.

My strong feelings have more to do with Lohse's suckitude than Ward's potential, to be honest.

I don't like going out of the way to acquire bad baseball players, I certainly don't like paying for them.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - the problem with acquiring slop like Dave Williams, Womack, Mays and now Lohse is not what you give up, its that you actually then feel the need to play them. We know how the first three turned out, and I have a pretty good inkling how the fourth will turn out.

Fire, meet gasoline.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Lifetime ERA of 3.00 as a reliever, and in a small sample size this year he's performed equally well. I'm willing to take a shot at him, particularly if the Reds have another trade on the horizon (I suspect they do.) I admit this trade makes less sense if there's nothing new coming.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Ergo, the 19,543rd acronym to be used on RedsZone:

The ROOGY.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - the problem with acquiring slop like Dave Williams, Womack, Mays and now Lohse is not what you give up, its that you actually then feel the need to play them. We know how the first three turned out, and I have a pretty good inkling how the fourth will turn out.

Fire, meet gasoline.
    Don't forget Royce Clayton.
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 07-31-2006 at 02:53 PM.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic
    We were pretty happy when we traded Randa last year ... did either of the guys we got for him contribute?

Nothing is more underrated around here than average major league talent. We're so busy looking for the next great thing, we forget that sometimes just average is all you need.

Krivsky has added average major league talent without touching Bailey, Bruce, Votto or Wood. Those are the legitimate prospects in the organization. He has bolstered the team for the stretch run and hasn't cashed in a legitimate prospect yet.

So other fans feel good today. Great. But if Lohse comes here and wins three games down the stretch for us and we make the playoffs, while this A-baller never reaches the majors (still the most likely outcome), who won the trade?
    The Reds recieved Germano and Chick for Randa. The Reds flipped Chick for Gaurdado and Germano for Cormier. They must have contributed something if you recieve a closer and a reliever with an ERA under 2.00 for them.

Then you can also as the question: If Lohse comes here and stinks it up like Joe Mays and Dave Williams, who won the trade? Seems like it would be the Twins since they dumped Lohse salary and recieved a young pitcher in return.

I really hope Lohse pitches well and doesnt turn out like Joe Mays or Dave Williams.

Man Pills

Too many relievers, and too many cooks in the bullpen stew right now. Something's gotta give.
    I disagree. I think Wayne likes to operate with a great deal of asymmetry and tortuousness. Every move he's made except for Pena/Arroyo has only fomented roster/defensive/lineup confusion. He's not the least bit interested in snipping off the loose ends or smoothing the fabric.

It's unique, if not effective.

BTW, this is a great characteristic to have (the love of asymmetry/half-constructedness) if you're an artist, say, but is it good for someone like a GM? It's an interesting question to me, all of a sudden. And I'm not being glib or sarcastic.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-31-2006 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I disagree. I think Wayne likes to operate with a great deal of asymmetry and tortuousness. Every move he's made except for Pena/Arroyo has only fomented roster/defensive/lineup confusion. He's not the least bit interested in snipping off the loose ends or smoothing the fabric.

It's unique, if not effective.
    mismatched parts is what this roster is all about. 3 catchers, acquire GB pitchers and pair them up with inadequate left side of the infield defense. A sledgehammer will make the square pegs fit in the round holes.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    The Reds recieved Germano and Chick for Randa. The Reds flipped Chick for Gaurdado and Germano for Cormier. They must have contributed something if you recieve a closer and a reliever with an ERA under 2.00 for them.

Then you can also as the question: If Lohse comes here and stinks it up like Joe Mays and Dave Williams, who won the trade? Seems like it would be the Twins since they dumped Lohse salary and recieved a young pitcher in return.

I really hope Lohse pitches well and doesnt turn out like Joe Mays or Dave Williams.

There is also the "change of scenery" effect. Lohse may re-discover himself. I know, grasping at straws...
    Hope Springs Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    quiet down, now. loose lips sink ships. WayneK's trying to pitch a perfect game. Elmer Fudd can fly but only until he realizes that he's flying.
    Good post
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?