Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Lohse is a Red

Re: Kyle Lohse is a Red

I'm very, very happy that we didn't give up any of our starters (on the team I mean, not pitchers). Ward is a promising prospect, but that loss really does not affect our team in any way. I don't think this team could have weathered much more of its core removed with both Kearns and Lopez gone, on top of all the changes that have already happened this year. This seems like a pretty low-risk move to me. We're all on track to sign a nice free agent starting pitcher in the off-season
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Maybe it's a trade for next year, too. Weathers, Mercker, Cormier, and maybe even Guardado (depending on his cuff) could all feasibly retire at the end of this season.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    they'd have kept him if cheap, but given his contract would need to nontender him at the end of this season. As we might also
    I hadn't researched his salary and contract yet, but remembered seeing that he has a healthy sum due him and figured that factored in the return, which you just confirmed. Honestly, that makes him a pretty expensive swingman, so maybe renting him is indeed in view.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive
    Maybe it's a trade for next year, too. Weathers, Mercker, Cormier, and maybe even Guardado (depending on his cuff) could all feasibly retire at the end of this season.
    I don't believe Lohse is going to the pen. They wouldn't have taken on his salary for that. I'm certain he's the fifth starter.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    I see this trade no differently than dealing for Cormier. Give up a little(Ward is certainly no better a prospect than Germano) for a roll of the dice.
    I see your point Ric - however I think the roll of the dice of KL is a much bigger gamble. Cormier has had success this year while Lohse has not even sniffed average this year.

Im not concerned about what the Reds gave up in either of these deals, I am concerned about the return in the 2nd deal doing more harm than good.
    Last edited by deltachi8; 07-31-2006 at 11:14 AM.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

makes you wonder if the Reds had waited a week if they could have gotten Baker for Kearns or Lopez (Twins need OF help and a 3b).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

FWIW, Lohse has been pretty effective this year as a reliever.

25.1 IP, 22 K, 6 BB

I know there are sample size issues abound there. But I could think of worse middle relief options right now.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Im not concerned about what the Reds gave up in either of these deals, I am concerned about the return in the 2nd deal doing more harm than good.
    I've received a couple of emails this morning from some friends expressing this very concern.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Lohse last 10 app's in the 'pen, since June 27th:

Pretty impressive.

19 IP
    14 H
    2 BB
    15 K
    0.84 WHIP
    2.84 ERA

First 8 starts of the season:

Scary.

8 GS
    38.1 IP
    57 H
    19 BB
    1.98 WHIP
    8.92 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I hadn't researched his salary and contract yet, but remembered seeing that he has a healthy sum due him and figured that factored in the return, which you just confirmed. Honestly, that makes him a pretty expensive swingman, so maybe renting him is indeed in view.
    Last year was his first Arb year IIRC, he has a 3.5 million dollar contract.

And his own I hate Kyle T Shirt

http://www.cafepress.com/byto.61268912

And people questioning the move to sign him

http://www.sportscolumn.com/story/2006/6/26/203852/625

The second mistake was holding on to Kyle Lohse. The question that is posed by Twins fans is what exactly he has done for him to stay with the Twins. Lohse may have done very good in the second half, but it did not mean he had to stay especially with Francisco Liriano ready to burst into the major league scene. Lohse has had lot of chances to pitch to his potential, but it has not worked out. His performance and his attitude left a lot to be desired. Ryan should have cut the cord by either trading him for nothing or releasing him. There was no way the general manager could have expected Lohse to keep this up when he has saw Lohse fail year after year in his Twins forgettable tenure. I know the ballclub did not want Liriano to be rushed or be in a position to fail, but the fans probably feel he can't be worse than Lohse. Lohse did not have a great season and now he lost his role in the rotation for good. It is one thing for the Twins to try to make do with a limited payroll, but it is another to make mistakes that has cost this team wins with the signing of Rondell White and holding on to Kyle Lohse.
    He should fit in pretty well around here.

Let's give him a nickname..... I nominate "Cannon Fodder"

The Reds don't have a true long relief guy right now. Could he be the long man and maybe the Reds are still trying to bring in a Redman or someone like that?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

how's your "I hate Arroyo" bumper sticker holding up?
    Let's get something straight. Johnny never hated getting Arroyo. Like myself he thought the Reds should have gotten more. And recent moves show Wayne K is real good at overpaying.

WMP is having a pretty decent year despite an injury that cost him almost 2 months. I think he gets a chance to put it all together especially if the trade rumors about Coco Crisp are true.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Lohse makes $3.95M this year (according to ESPN), anyone know how long his contract is?

Born: October 4, 1978 (27 years old)

Does this make Shackleford go back to AAA? Watson's already been sent packing.

LaRue is still here, I thought he was going to be traded before the 4 o'clock deadline. Wonder what SS he'll go for.
    Last edited by CougarQuest; 07-31-2006 at 11:20 AM.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    Lohse makes $3.95M this year, anyone know how long his contract is?

Born: October 4, 1978 (27 years old)

Does this make Shackleford go back to AAA? Watson's already been sent packing.

LaRue is still here, I thought he was going to be traded before the 4 o'clock deadline. Wonder what SS he'll go for.
    Izturis, I hope.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

how's your "I hate Arroyo" bumper sticker holding up?
    Bronson tore it off my car when his K/9 returned to his career rate.

You think Lohse will do the same?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?