Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Outlook

New Outlook

Just a question...what do people think our team would have been like for the next couple years if we decided to give up on this year and focus on the next 2? I mean thinking about it we could have waited until the deadline and shipped Lopez and Kearns and had some major league starting pitching talent (combining them with Germano and Wagner respectively). Could have had Ervin Santana for them if you packaged them this late in the deadline. Then you ship off a Coffey type for a starter for the future. Hatteberg to the Angels as well....with some significant return for him. (possible SS/2B for the future). Without the pressure of putting together a winner this year, how would this team look right now? Becoming desperate wasn't our best option in my opinion. 2008 could have been our season (WS berth) if we would have been patient at the deadline and really worked the phone. Thoughts....
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Outlook

I'm glad we are playing for this year. For once it's not about next season. We still have homer, EE, and picked up Bray some young talent. I think so far we are maintaining. Next season BP to SS and we can get a 2B or play Freel, RA, etc.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

I think you underestimate the price for a young, valuable starting pitcher.

Reds fans as a whole, myself included, are sick and tired of hearing the words "wait till next year" or "Oh in 2-3 years, this team will be set" I'm sick of it, I don't want to hear it again, and I feel we owe Krivsky our gratitude for making "next year" an unacceptable answer.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds
    Just a question...what do people think our team would have been like for the next couple years if we decided to give up on this year and focus on the next 2? I mean thinking about it we could have waited until the deadline and shipped Lopez and Kearns and had some major league starting pitching talent (combining them with Germano and Wagner respectively). Could have had Ervin Santana for them if you packaged them this late in the deadline. Then you ship off a Coffey type for a starter for the future. Hatteberg to the Angels as well....with some significant return for him. (possible SS/2B for the future). Without the pressure of putting together a winner this year, how would this team look right now? Becoming desperate wasn't our best option in my opinion. 2008 could have been our season (WS berth) if we would have been patient at the deadline and really worked the phone. Thoughts....
    Oh boy, another rebuilding plan and another few years of "it will get better, I promise". And this would certinally doom us to another few years of stagnant attendence and the revenue that does/doesn't create.

I understand you point. But I don't think "waiting for the perfect trade" is always the right option. You should not go around wildly trading just for the fun of it, but waiting for that slightly better deal that's around the corner isn't a good approach either.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 07-31-2006 at 11:21 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

You know, with the current roster we could be say 45-60 right now and the majority of posters would think that is what is to be expected from this team this year. My point is, when we have a chance we need to go for it all. I certainly hope it is not the case but next year we could very well be a .450 team again. You never know when it is going to be your year...just drive up I-71 to find that out. 06' Reds...go for it all!!!

i hate playing for the playoffs....imo we arent good enough yet...you cant expect to come in after two gms like jim bowden and dan obrien and try to turn it around in 1 year.. its not possible..we may make the playoffs but i hate playing for that, thats what i hate if you get to october have a chance to win it all.....thats the way i feel

unless you go out and get soriano to play right and zito to be in our rotation
    For Love of the Game

i hate playing for the playoffs....imo we arent good enough yet...you cant expect to come in after two gms like jim bowden and dan obrien and try to turn it around in 1 year.. its not possible..we may make the playoffs but i hate playing for that, thats what i hate if you get to october have a chance to win it all.....thats the way i feel
    To each his own. I have no response.

unless you go out and get soriano to play right and zito to be in our rotation

Huh?
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

i would give up this year in order for a chance at a ws...we cant win the ws this year unless we aquire a sp and a bat..

thats why i say i hate playing for the playoffs.....if we get there great but we will get pounded
    For Love of the Game

With a good 1-2 SP anything can happen in the playoffs. With Harang and Arroyo we have a shot.

fair enough kal...i guess this year with krivsky i see desperation and i dont like it. hopefully we get there and see what happens! i really wasnt questioning i like the way it went i actually was kind of just trying to have people throw out a starting 9 or a pitching staff that could have been possible if we went the other way
    For Love of the Game

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If there's anything I've learned over the last few years it's these 2 things -- perhaps different sides of the same coin:

1.) You never waste a shot to make the playoffs. There is no time like the present. Despite what all the pundits will say about not having a "playoff roster" and all of that, every team in the playoffs is a WS contender. Period. The revenues of a few home playoff games and the subsequent attendence bump the next year easily pays the cost of the acquired talent.

2.) No team is guaranteed success, regardless of roster composition. That is, you shouldn't wait until your team is perfect to try and make your run, because there is no perfect roster. Injuries, slumps, bad luck can all make the house of cards topple. At some point you have stop rebuilding and simply build. The Pirates and Royals are both stuck in the situation of never having quite enough talent to even get lucky for a year which they can leverage in to future success (like the Reds this year, hopefully). If you wait until the stars align and everything falls in place, you could be waiting for a future which never arrives.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

you cant expect to come in after two gms like jim bowden and dan obrien and try to turn it around in 1 year..
    Frankly, I think we are smack dab in the midst of a "turnaround". Do you really think DanO and the team he built would be in 2nd place, leading the WC and fighting for the division? Going from dead last to 2nd is a very nice turnaround IMO.

We can fight all we want about how much further ahead we'd be if Narron wasn't here, EE was playing, "the trade" wasn't made etc. But the fact remains we are in an infinatley better position now than we were last year. That, IMO, is a good thing.

we may make the playoffs but i hate playing for that,
    HUH? Isn't that the point of the excersize?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

kind of taking the quote out of context there ey? redsman i did enjoy your post..it makes a ton of sense to me
    For Love of the Game

Turn Off Ads?