Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astros to trade Lidge..?

Astros to trade Lidge..?

The Houston Chronicle's Richard Justice reports that Astros owner Drayton McLane has ordered GM Tim Purpura to trade Brad Lidge.

The Rangers are the team getting mentioned in connection with Lidge, but if he has to go, there will be more interested parties, starting with the Mets and Red Sox. The Astros could turn over closing duties to Dan Wheeler if they move Lidge.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros to trade Lidge..?

The Rangers offered Hank Blaylock, and the Astros turned them down (wisely).

I don't think the Reds have enough ammo to get him, even though they really should try.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    The Rangers offered Hank Blaylock, and the Astros turned them down (wisely).
    Blalock for Lidge?

Man, if I'm Purpura I do that trade every day of the week. That's a living, breathing baseball player in return for a guy in need of a stay at Bellevue.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Tough to establish a value for Lidge with his recent performance. The buyer would definitely be buying low.
    /r/reds

Wagner [Billy, former 'stros closer] has lobbied Minaya to trade for Lidge so Wagner can 'fix him.'

Thats the word on the street [read internet].

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Lidge in Boston setting up for Papelbohn would be killer (provided Lidge setting up and having no closer "skips and blips" fixes him). Although Boston is a tough market.......
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Lidge in Boston setting up for Papelbohn would be killer (provided Lidge setting up and having no closer "skips and blips" fixes him). Although Boston is a tough market.......
    Well the dominos could fall fast. I think one of the players the A's wanted in return for Zito was Duaner Sanchez. If the Mets deal Sanchez, along with Milledge for Zito, and then deal a couple more prospects to HOU for Lidge, that'd be pretty nasty too.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Wagner [Billy, former 'stros closer] has lobbied Minaya to trade for Lidge so Wagner can 'fix him.'

Thats the word on the street [read internet].
    sounds like he must be tipping his pitches to the backstop.

If the 'Stros are putting both Lidge and Oswalt on the block, are they throwing in the towel? I know they have some good pitching and historically bad hitting - but wow. Seeing that Clemmons and Pettit will be gone at the end of the year (i think), wouldn't this gut their staff for the future?

If Houston cannot acquire a big bat I would say they have little choice but to throw in the towel.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

After reading several different sites, it appears that the Astros never really put Oswalt on the block. They threw his name out there to guage interest (he will be a F.A. after next year) and see what they could get back in return for him this year, but according to most people, we're considering letting him go unless they were generally bowled over with an offer. I doubt they entertain trading him today.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

If I was running the Houston franchise I would sell Clemens, Pettitte, Lidge, Ausmus, and anyone not under 30 I could and completely retool that franchise.

Clemens back to Boston for a young starter.

Pettitte back to NY for Cabrera and an arm

Lidge to the Mets for Heilman or something similar or to the Rangers for Blaylock.

Prospects coming in each of those deals as well and they could be sitting pretty for a couple years to come.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    If Houston cannot acquire a big bat I would say they have little choice but to throw in the towel.
    Amazing that Adam Everett can't fetch you a stud hitter, huh? I'm sure they'd add Wandy Rodriguez and Jason Lane if someone insisted.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I think Clemens would likely reject any and all trades, wouldn't he? I thought he only wanted to pitch in HOU.

Besides...before we bury these guys, recall that they do have a history of rising from the dead.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Send Rich over to them for Lidge...

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?