Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone listening

Re: Anyone listening

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    Stranger things have happened. You remember who the starting SS was for the D-Backs when they won the WS in '01?
    And their two top starters were? (Here's a hint: the two best starters at a top of a rotation that I've seen in all my years of watching baseball)
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    And their two top starters were? (Here's a hint: the two best starters at a top of a rotation that I've seen in all my years of watching baseball)
    McClain and Lolich?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red
    McClain and Lolich?
    McClain and Lolich were pitching before my conscious awareness of baseball.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

just kidding- Schilling and Johnson were incredible that year, especially in the series.

And Tony "Wo-is-me" was the SS

I take anything Marty says with a grain of salt, especially his opinions on ball players... more often than not, he allows personal opinion (usually dislike) outweigh fact (or lack thereof).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Yeah...watch it roll on by.

Somebody would like to stop by to say hi. Apparently, he doesn't think the "watch it roll on by" technique works in the world series. Don't know where he gets his information though.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    McClain and Lolich were pitching before my conscious awareness of baseball.
    You would have thought Mickey was fat, everyone else did.

He was my favorite pitcher as a kid, 4 straight years of 300 IP, 6 of 270 plus, 52 complete games in 72 and 71.

The Tigers dumped McLain to the Senators for the left side of their infield and their number 2 starter... a great trade.

I had it on and it was completely claseless by Marty. Lance asked a question if they can afford to keep Clayton in the lineup over Edwin (didn't even mention Felipe) and Marty went off on Felipe. He then went on to say they can play Clayton over Edwin because he makes the routine play. Little does Marty know that Royce has made something like 15 errors already this year. He said Clayton is a headsy player, but I have counted at least 2 mental mistakes already by Royce. He said Edwin will end up being a 1st baseman.

Marty needs to realize Edwin has all the tools to be a great defensive 3rd baseman and just needs to work on his throwing mechanics.

I say stick Rich at SS. Between Phillips and Edwin's insane range at 3B and 2B you can somewhat mask Rich's lack of range at SS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I say stick Rich at SS. Between Phillips and Edwin's insane range at 3B and 2B you can somewhat mask Rich's lack of range at SS.
    Brooks Robinson and Roberto Alomar in their prime couldn't mask that.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Marty know that Royce has made something like 15 errors already this year.
    Clayton has 14 errors in 415 total chances and a fielding percentagte of .966
    EE has 15 errors in 155 total chances and a fielding percentage of .944.

I know, I know, but EE has that "insane range."

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Clayton has 14 errors in 415 total chances and a fielding percentagte of .966
    EE has 15 errors in 155 total chances and a fielding percentage of .944.

I know, I know, but EE has that "insane range."
    Right now Clayton is better defensively, I am not debating that.

The offense isn't even close though. I hope you don't think Royce is a better player then Edwin.

Dunn is a terrible defender, should we start Denorfia over him?

No.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

The offense isn't even close though. I hope you don't think Royce is a better player then Edwin.

No.
    Dunn may be less than average (maybe), but he is by no means "terrible".
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

No.
    The two situations are not comparable at all. Left field is a offensive position. SS has become more of a balance of the two, but I still considere SS a defensive position, especially since they are considered the leaders of the infield. I'll take the defense at SS, especially when you aren't really lacking offense from other positions.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed
    The two situations are not comparable at all. Left field is a offensive position. SS has become more of a balance of the two, but I still considere SS a defensive position, especially since they are considered the leaders of the infield. I'll take the defense at SS, especially when you aren't really lacking offense from other positions.
    Edwin plays 3rd base.

Royce Clayton is not as good as the media thinks. Bad range, poor arm, and even if you don't include the errors, just watch him miss balls under his glove and off of them. Everyone thinks of players as when they were best. Like Aurilia, Clayton, and Griffey just from our team.

I never trust the media's analysis of a player, only what they find out from others. I love Marty as a PBP guy on radio, but I think he would be a terrible manager. Just watching the game for 30 years doesn't mean you understand it. As someone else mentioned, their wife watches a lot of "Grey's Anatomy" doesn't mean she should be operating on people.

Turn Off Ads?