Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Phillips & Olney Agree on Reds

Re: Phillips & Olney Agree on Reds

Phillips agreed with Olney because Olney embarrassed the bejulies out of him.

Philips is the perfect example that General Managers can be and are idiots, and it also proves that they can have very little knowledge of baseball.

I have more knowledge of how to put together a winning organization in my little pinky than Phillips will ever know in his entire life.

I could randomly take the fan sitting in Section 116, Row HH, seat 5 from the next REDS' game and find that person having a greater ability to run a franchise than Steve Phillips has.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: Phillips & Olney Agree on Reds

Originally posted by M2
    I'll take a stroll out on a limb and guess you think the Reds had more than one glaring weakness. Others may have more or more greivous weaknesses, but I doubt you buy into the Olney/Phillips contention that the Reds were hunky-dory outside of the bullpen.

That and the notion that Edwin Encarnacion has shown himself to be a productive hitter have been the only two things I've said in this thread.
    1st off I agree with EE, he is a solid hitter for his age. In fact He would be playing a majority of the games if it were up too me.

And now to the next topic. Yes I do feel that we have more than one glaring weakness and you are correct to some extent about a few things that you have posted on this topic. One, Castro/Clayton at SS are nowhere near Felipe Lopez offensively and that hurts our versatility at the plate alot and our effectiveness a great deal. Defensively they are not a huge upgrade at either well at least Clayton (the starter) isn't, or at least hasn't shown to be yet. However we were winning at about a .500 clip with those difficiences, but offense wasn't a problem most often, defense was. So even a nominal improvement on the defensive side of the ball was enough to improve the Team and it's record. Plus you add Freel/Deno's range in RF over Austins it goes up yet another tick. Granted we won't be confused with a GG defense but we are not nearly as bad as early in the year.

Look too me it's really simple, what we have overall now is greater than the collective individuals before. Yeah I wouldn't call us dominate in any area, the pen, the offense, the lineup, or the defense. But like I said before when stacking up this team to the other "contenders", we have what it takes to make it to the playoffs and that is a great 1st step. Now beyond that things get iffy. But if we falter, those weaknesses that you speak of will give Krivsky something to do in his 1st full offseason as the GM of the '06 Central Champion Reds.

And BTW by the looks of some of those rumors we have heard it sounds like he might just be aiming pretty high to fill those weaknesses with $$$, instead of using Bailey, Bruce & Votto as bait.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?