Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Payroll Increase

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Reds Payroll Increase

I was on the phone with a friend of mine who is also in baseball. We were talking about some of the trades made today and knowing that my home base is Cincy he asked me a great question.

"Are the Reds opening up their wallet and spending their new TV Money"?

That seems to be the case. I have asked quite a few people recently what the estimated revenue number is of the new Fox Ohio deal. I have heard 10 million to 15 Million. Could that be? I am posing this more as a question than anything because Redszone is a marketplace of knowledge. (Even if you don't always like the answers) Does anyone have the info on what the Reds will be getting in the new deal?

If the number is 15 million and Castellini is willing to go another 5 Million then the Reds are in pretty darn good shape to shore up the pitching. 20 Million can get you 2 maybe 3 pretty good pitchers.

Thoughts anyone?
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Payroll Increase

I read that they were negotiating a new TV deal that would pay more per game and show more games. I guess John Allen didn't do the negotiations this time because it looks like we're finally going to get a decent local TV deal.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If that TV deal is truly front-loaded as rumored, I hate to see them spending all of the new windfall so soon.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    If that TV deal is truly front-loaded as rumored, I hate to see them spending all of the new windfall so soon.
    It looks like the Reds saved money when they traded Kearns/Lopez. Knowing that the Reds were involved in serious talks to acquire players with BIG salaries I was just wondering what kind of money was coming in. Even if a team pays a portion of a Tejada/Zito/Maddux contract there is still a big number to satisfy at the end.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    It looks like the Reds saved money when they traded Kearns/Lopez. Knowing that the Reds were involved in serious talks to acquire players with BIG salaries I was just wondering what kind of money was coming in. Even if a team pays a portion of a Tejada/Zito/Maddux contract there is still a big number to satisfy at the end.
    I think this is the interesting part of this whole day. We know Krivsky didn't get the monster deal some of us might have wanted done, but I think our inside sources suggest he was at least in the conversations. Big change from prior years.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    20 Million can get you 2 maybe 3 pretty good pitchers.
    It will also get you Eric Milton, Sean Casey, and Juan Castro.

If previous reports were accurate they were pulling down about 5 million per season on the TV deal. The new deal, again if reports are accurate should be something more like 12.5 per year.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    If previous reports were accurate they were pulling down about 5 million per season on the TV deal. The new deal, again if reports are accurate should be something more like 12.5 per year.
    That would be a good number to start with....
    Cedric 3/24/08

I have not heard what BIG NAMES the Reds were in talks about...can you give any details of deals you heard about that didn't work out?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    I have not heard what BIG NAMES the Reds were in talks about...can you give any details of deals you heard about that didn't work out?
    Limited Tejada talks but they were in negotiations to get Oswalt from Baltimore if the Hou/Bal deal went through.
    Cedric 3/24/08

TC:

What do you think of Loshe coming to the Reds? He's a flyball pitcher...isn't he? Is he another Milton in our midst?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    TC:

What do you think of Loshe coming to the Reds? He's a flyball pitcher...isn't he? Is he another Milton in our midst?
    He's not a great option but I think he can perform better than Germano or Claussen. I hear he is going to the pen but I doubt that will be for long.

I am really surprised that Magic is having so much trouble. Two, outstanding mechanical flaws I have noticed in his last 3-4 appearances. He straightens that out and he will be fine. He just has to straighten them out first...

I personally would have dealt Milton and Germano together to get a GABP suitable SP. I say that sparingly. I'm sure Wayne tried every POSSIBLE scenario to upgrade the rotation. Making trades is not just as simple as picking up the phone and throwing your list at somebody. Sometimes other GM's just do now want what you have.... got to live with that.
    Cedric 3/24/08

I agree we over value guys here on this forum. Krispy will cut thru the fat and at least get the pitching on track and he's an expert at grabbing DFA guys.

There really were not any impact starting pitchers dealt at the deadline. I don't blame Kriv. They just weren't being moved this year

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    There really were not any impact starting pitchers dealt at the deadline. I don't blame Kriv. They just weren't being moved this year
    But they could've been if we'd been willing to pony up the right prospects.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?