Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outfield defense ... it's killing me

Outfield defense ... it's killing me

I know there are some of you who discount defense in the outfield. I don't. The eighth inning last night is a great example of the lousy outfield defense on this team. First, Dunn's lazy play turned Hall's single into a double (and eliminated a tailor-made double play from the next batter), then Junior let a ball drop that no other center fielder in baseball would have let drop. It was unbelievable.

One of those two will be gone or playing another position next season. Krivsky knows the value of playing great defense -- he has addressed it at other positions. It's just a matter of time until he gets to the outfield.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Can he be stopped?

Re: Outfield defense ... it's killing me

Griffey is responsible for the run in the 6th that was credited ot Geronimo. He should have caught that ball, which would have meant another out, and no RISP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    Griffey is responsible for the run in the 6th that was credited ot Geronimo. He should have caught that ball, which would have meant another out, and no RISP.
    Yep. Forgot about that one. The eighth inning wiped out some of my short-term memory.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic
    One of those two will be gone or playing another position next season. Krivsky knows the value of playing great defense -- he has addressed it at other positions. It's just a matter of time until he gets to the outfield.
    Knows the value so well that he picked up Clayton. Yuch. Be careful what you wish for.

... Although I agree with you on the Dunn gaff and JR's inability to move.

Yeah, as bad as Majewski has been since coming over, last night he shouldn't of had any runs against him. He pitched well enough to get out of the 8th last night.

That play from Griffey was atrocious. Not surprising, but atrocious. He has the worst range of any CF in baseball. Never thought I would say that. And it tells you that he is the exact opposite of a "team player" in his refusal to move to RF for the betterment of the team. Griffey should insist that Freel or Denorfia play CF since he can't catch a ball that lands 5 feet from where he was standing when it was hit.

edit-- and obviously he would stink in RF too, but I would rather have him stinking up the joint in RF than CF where you need to cover more ground.

The play in the 8th inning was irrelevant because even if he caught it, wasn't there a runner on third anyway. He certainly would have scored on the sacrifice fly because there is no chance at throwing him out after diving. The biggest problem with the outfield defense is that all of them except Freel play pretty deep allowing a lot of weak hits to fall in.

The Defense in general kills me on a daily basis at pretty much every position. Hatteberg is solid at first, but other than him its been watch out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by redbuck
    That play from Griffey was atrocious. Not surprising, but atrocious. He has the worst range of any CF in baseball. Never thought I would say that. And it tells you that he is the exact opposite of a "team player" in his refusal to move to RF for the betterment of the team. Griffey should insist that Freel or Denorfia play CF since he can't catch a ball that lands 5 feet from where he was standing when it was hit.

edit-- and obviously he would stink in RF too, but I would rather have him stinking up the joint in RF than CF where you need to cover more ground.
    Can't go to right. He'll blow his hamstring with the sudden stops. Griff's starting to look old and overweight. Home stats atrocious. Discipline seems to be gone as he appears to be fading but when he wakes up and carries the team during the final push to the playoffs we'll all love the guy again and forget we ever wrote nasty things about him.

Clayton is a great fielder. My 1998 MLB Year in Review magazine says so.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic
    I know there are some of you who discount defense in the outfield. I don't. The eighth inning last night is a great example of the lousy outfield defense on this team. First, Dunn's lazy play turned Hall's single into a double (and eliminated a tailor-made double play from the next batter), then Junior let a ball drop that no other center fielder in baseball would have let drop. It was unbelievable.

The problem is that defense is the hardest aspect of the game to describe in terms of statistics--and thereby has less importance according to the flawed logic of statheads. Backing up a point-of-view (to them) exclusively means backing it up with numbers, and if there are no numbers for something, then it must not exist, or at least, it has no importance.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    The problem is that defense is the hardest aspect of the game to describe in terms of statistics--and thereby has less importance according to the flawed logic of statheads. Backing up a point-of-view (to them) exclusively means backing it up with numbers, and if there are no numbers for something, then it must not exist, or at least, it has no importance.
    A complete misportrayal of "statheads."

Weak. Very weak.
    :thumbdown
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr
    Knows the value so well that he picked up Clayton. Yuch. Be careful what you wish for.

... Although I agree with you on the Dunn gaff and JR's inability to move.
    Clayton > Lopez.

That wasn't even the point of that trade, but we did upgrade our defense slightly at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by demas863
    Can't go to right. He'll blow his hamstring with the sudden stops.
    Wow a Griffey injury knock. That's something that's never been said before.

Quote Originally Posted by BenHayes
    The play in the 8th inning was irrelevant because even if he caught it, wasn't there a runner on third anyway. He certainly would have scored on the sacrifice fly because there is no chance at throwing him out after diving. The biggest problem with the outfield defense is that all of them except Freel play pretty deep allowing a lot of weak hits to fall in.
    The question is: What would you rather have? Him dive for the ball and possibly miss it, creating extra bases instead of a base hit? Either way, the guy was going to score on third base, just like you said.

Glad I wasn't the only one to pick that up.

And yes, the outfield plays pretty deep....too deep.

Griffey is way done defensively! Dunn is what he is. If Dunn would drop 30 lbs., he would be much better.

Turn Off Ads?