Innings pitched: 24
    Games: 4
    Games started: 4
    ERA: 1.50
    Whip: 0.875
    K’s: 12
    Bbs: 6

Ground ball% 2005 (a good year for him): 44%

2006 Baseball Prospectus“Not a stathead’s sort of pitcher, but not everybody can crank out a quality start half of the time, and if that’s your fourth or fifth starter, you’ve got something. He throws hard and can get both his slider and curve over for strikes, so it would be interesting to see if he’d ever benefit from working with someone like Dave Duncan and turn some of that stuff into results. The Twins were right to offer him arbitration this winter: if Baker and Liriano both look ready, Ryan can always shop Lohse or even Brad Radke; despite greater acclaim, Radke hasn’t actually out pitched Lohse in two of the last three years.”

VORP: (Value over replacement player)
    2003: 29.7
    2004: 7.9
    2005: 30.9
    2006 (projected): 14.1
    2006 (actual to date): -6.3

2006 Sporting News Baseball Register Scouting Reports
    “Throws: He has a fastball that ranges from 90-93 mph, an 84-86 slider, and a straight changeup. Tendencies: Lohse has a good delivery and good stuff, but problems with command of his fastball have resulted in inconsistency. Fastball has good life up and down in the zone. Slider is a very quick late biter. Has improved his straight change. Has a tendency to rely on his breaking ball with runners on and frequently will overthrow his fastball in those situations. Makes a lot of mistakes when ahead in the count. Outlook: He should be a better pitcher than he is because his stuff is at times above average. Should win 12-15 games per year. 6.8 out of 10.”

2006 Bill James Handbook pitcher projection:
    IP: 186
    GS:31
    HR: 26
    ERA : 4.78

Final notes:

Clearly he has had a bad year so far in Minnesota. (Good in AAA though...and Claussen is stinking up even AAA!)

Maybe a new team, and a new pitching coach can help get back on track. If we had seen this deal back in March, we would have been fairly excited. Now, I am worried, but cautiously optimisitic that he will be more than another 'Joe Mays'.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kyle Lohse facts, stats, and scouting report

Great info....thanks for taking the time to post it.

I really think he is upgrade over Mays. I am also cautiously optimistic that a change in scenery will help him.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo

I really think he is upgrade over Mays. I am also cautiously optimistic that a change in scenery will help him.
    I think saying that he is an upgrade over Mays is an understatement. He might be similar to many players nowadays who just needed the change of scenery, let's hope so and he can return to his 14 win/season days.

I like this addition very much, he is going to be a reliable 5th starter, for a projected 4th pitcher years away, a solid deal to improve the club without jeopardizing the future!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo

He definitely is an upgrade over Mays, but you could probably put Dunn on the mound and he'd be an upgrade over Mays.

That said, with Lohse what you see is what you get. I've watched the guy pitch about 30 times and he always seems to give up a big homerun. I have a feeling Cincinnati may not be the best destination for him. He throws pretty hard (93-94) but doesn't strike many people out. He's never been consistantly lights out and IMO he is best suited for the bullpen or for the time being - a stopgap 5th starter (although I think I'd still rather see Dumatrait)

for most intents and purposes Kyle Lohse's career numbers are identical to Paul Wilson's career numbers. if Lohse had Wilson's personality he'd probably be one of the better #2/#3 guys around, instead he's an almost average #4.

or if you keep him in the pen, like a team who's good at self-evaluation would, you might just have recreated LaTroy Hawkins when he was that age (who incedently became a reliever at age 27).
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Bad trade, period, for Lohse.

got alil captain in u?

i don't think wayne brought in lohse to be a starter more on a long man if they need him and another righty out of the pen plus he has playoff experince always good down the stretch

Old Red Guard Reject

You know, at least he's got some talent. Whether or not he can put any of it to use is the big question mark. It appears he has three quality pitches, but doesn't really know what to do with them. Hopefully, he turns into a guy that "figures it out" since he is fairly young still. I figure they start Claussen a few games and if he doesn't cut it then Lohse is plan B. Plan C might make you say "DOH!"
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

27 years old, so maybe this is the point in his career when he reaches his "prime" whatever level that is. For the back end of the rotation or long relief, it seems like a decent chance to take, IMO.

Good post! Thanks for taking the time to organize the stats.

Turn Off Ads?