Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Santa Krivsky

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Santa Krivsky

edabbs44 made reference to him this way over in the ORG, and I thought it was an apt nickname (I can't quote him directly here because I don't yet have access to ORG). Anyway, I'm starting to think that our GM is a bit crazy--very much the opposite of DanO, which is nice, but a bit reckless with our limited resources.

IMO, we've now made three straight deals in which we have significantly overpaid for mediocre returns:

1) 2 everyday players (Lopez, Kearns) for 2 relievers (Majewskl, Bray) and change (a certain "good field, no hit" SS and two middling prospects)
    2) A passable young starter (Germano) for a 39 year-old reliever (Cormier) who really wouldn't be needed if the last overpayment had worked out (Majewski).
    3) One of the "best pure arms in the system" (Ward) for a head case starter-possible reliever who might be a passable 5th starter to replace the one just dealt away (Germano).

To me, it seems like he is making moves that, while good for the team now, are costing much more than is advisable. I'm into the idea of shooting for the playoffs as much as the next guy, but at what cost?

More importantly, these moves are starting to seem to be simple exchanges rather than upgrades. It's as if he's trying to erase defecits he's created a few days earlier. To wit, we gave up a lot for a righty setup man (Majik). When he didn't work out right away, we gave up a young starter for another setup man (Cormier). Then, because we just lost a passable young starter (Germano), we dealt for another one (Lohse).

Is there a method to this madness, or is Santa K simply dealing for the sake of dealing? At this rate, all the other teams will float trades by Santa first just to make sure they can't fleece him before they go on to normal trade talks with another club.

I want to trust in Kriv, but I'm having a hard time these days.
    Last edited by RedEye; 08-01-2006 at 12:47 AM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?