Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Players you liked but knew nothing about

Players you liked but knew nothing about

As a kid did you have any players that you really knew nothing about but liked anyway?

I don't mean an idol that everybody likes even though few really know much about him. I'm talking more along the lines of some obscure player that maybe was never really that good, or perhaps was even dreadfull. But for some odd reason you always liked them.

I was always a big fan of U.L. Washington but I had no idea who he was. I just thought he had a cool name. I never saw him play, couldn't tell you what team he was on, or what position he played (I know now because I looked it up before writing this).

He just had that groovy name.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Players you liked but knew nothing about

Hadn't thought of it this way, but I think mine was Roy McMillan. I knew he was an ex-Red who played for the new New York Mets. Go figure.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Growing up I loved Kenny Lofton(and still follow him), but I didn't really know a lot about him because back then I was a lot more interested in playing ball myself than watching the games on TV. Speedy guys have always been my favorite type of player.

Playoff Veteran

Al Pedique of the Pirates and Chris James of the Padres.... I got them in a computer sim league and they were always the league leaders in average and HRs and RBIs. Lenny Dykstra was a good player for me too, but he is more of a name guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    As a kid did you have any players that you really knew nothing about but liked anyway?

I don't mean an idol that everybody likes even though few really know much about him. I'm talking more along the lines of some obscure player that maybe was never really that good, or perhaps was even dreadfull. But for some odd reason you always liked them.

I was always a big fan of U.L. Washington but I had no idea who he was. I just thought he had a cool name. I never saw him play, couldn't tell you what team he was on, or what position he played (I know now because I looked it up before writing this).

He just had that groovy name.
    I remember seeing U.L. play in Rookie League ball in Kingsport,TN back in the 70's. He was a hot prospect for the Royals and eventually made it to the big time. He also always had a toothpick in his mouth. That was really very dangerous if he ever had ball hit him the mouth. Ouch........ He was SS for the Royals for a few seasons. He hung around a few years but nothing spectactular.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by dburke1337
    Growing up I loved Kenny Lofton(and still follow him), but I didn't really know a lot about him because back then I was a lot more interested in playing ball myself than watching the games on TV. Speedy guys have always been my favorite type of player.
    Lofton was a very good college basketball player at Arizona as well as being very good baseball player. I believe he played PG for the Wildcats but can't remember what seasons.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

For my money, Chris Denorfia doesn't come close to filling Corky Miller's shoes.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Yay!

Garth Iorg -- cool name.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Kurt Stillwell. I was 12 years old when he came up. I got mad when they traded him instead of Barry Larkin and I've been a Royals fan ever since. You have no idea how badly I wish he was traded to the Yankees. It would have been a much easier time being a Yankee fan all this time.

Sweetbread Bailey. He was on all my sim teams on whatifsports.com a few years back. I used his name as a good luck charm, I guess. I think he pitched in the 1920's.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

jeff treadway
    bo diaz
    luis salazar
    vance law
    andres thomas
    spike owen
    tim wallach

lol i dont know why but i read this thread and those names popped in my head from my childhood

Ron Oester, Jeff Treadway, Gary Redus, Brad "The Animal" Lesley, and Kurt Stillwell. Stillwell was my favorite, and I too, was extremely p'd off when he was traded. I remember him having a gold necklace with the number 11, and he gave it to Larkin when he left for KC.

My all-time favorite umpire from the past is Dutch Rennert.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I'd have to also add Bo Jackson to go along with Lofton. I remember how excited I was when I got his rookie card. The football and baseball combo really won me over as a kid who played both as well

Brook Jacoby.

Overlooked 3b of some putrid Indians teams in the 80's. Chris Sabo without the goggles.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Oddibe Mcdowell for the aforementioned name reasons. Steve Balboni, again for the name thing.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Turn Off Ads?