Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corey Lidle - Bridge Burner

Corey Lidle - Bridge Burner

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-370404c.html

Cory gives Philly a brotherly shove

While some players have struggled with the high expectations and intensity that come with playing in New York, Cory Lidle plans to embrace it - particularly because he says it's a departure from where he used to play.

"I'm the kind of player that goes to the field expecting to win," the former Phillies righthander said in a conference call yesterday. "Unfortunately, over the past few years, I haven't had a clubhouse that expected to win with me. We'd go to the field and it's almost a coin-flip whether the guys behind me are going to play 100% and I know that's not going to be the deal here in New York."

Lidle was dealt to the Yanks along with Bobby Abreu on Sunday and is scheduled to make his first start for the Bombers on Thursday. When he was asked to elaborate, Lidle didn't hesitate.

"I think going to the clubhouse every day with 24 other guys expecting to win is going to help me," he said. " Sometimes there were mixed signals (in Philadelphia). Sometimes it seemed like winning was all that mattered, sometimes it seemed like winning didn't matter of all. That was just kind of a feeling I got."

Lidle believes Abreu will be pleased with the feel of the Yanks, too. "He's the kind of person I think belongs in the Yankee clubhouse," Lidle said. "He got a bad rap from some of the Philly fans around here. Every time I heard that, it made me kind of upset because they don't know him, they don't how important the team is for him. He may not be that guy who sacrifices his body to get to a ball but he's there 162 games a year ready to play. He's going to be consistent year in and year out."
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Corey Lidle - Bridge Burner

"Unfortunately, over the past few years, I haven't had a clubhouse that expected to win with me."

I guess that would scuttle Cory's chances of getting voted into the Reds HOF, too, eh?
    /r/reds

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

He couldn't have been talking about Cincinnati. We had that clubhouse chemistry thing down when he was here.

Lidle doesn't have the successful track record to be making comments like that. I hope he gets bombed as a Yankee.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Lidle doesn't have the successful track record to be making comments like that. I hope he gets bombed as a Yankee.
    I hope all Yankees get bombed.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    He couldn't have been talking about Cincinnati. We had that clubhouse chemistry thing down when he was here.
    Yeah but there certainly was no "win at all cost" mentality.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    I hope all Yankees get bombed.
    Well, they are the Bronx Bombers.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    Yep, all the hugs and smiles to go around.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I guess Casey didn't hug Lidle enough.

He didn't burn the bridge, he obliterated it.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

..And some people wanted this guy to come back as the Reds 5th starter...

He and his almost 5 ERA better have a career 2 months or he'll be booed out of New York
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-01-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    ..And some people wanted this guy to come back as the Reds 5th starter...
    Heck..I still do, the guy we just got who will end up as the 5th starter isn't exactly well loved in Minnesota
    Go Gators!

No way he say's that if he'd have been dealt to the Mets. It's easy to trash talk when there will be no at bats against the Phils this year.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Heck..I still do, the guy we just got who will end up as the 5th starter isn't exactly well loved in Minnesota
    I wasn't crazy about it when he came here the first time...I would have been less crazy about it a second time around.

I just saw on ESPN News Arthur Rhodes replied to these comments. He said Likdl;e would only pitch 5 and a third innings, and then just wanted to sit in the clubhouse and eat ice cream and he had a poor work ethic. He then brought up Lidle's past history as a replacement player. Her didn't use the "scab" word.

After that report they played part of Lidle's press conference and he addressed Rhode's comments. He really sounded kind of lame to me.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I just saw on ESPN News Arthur Rhodes replied to these comments. He said Likdl;e would only pitch 5 and a third innings, and then just wanted to sit in the clubhouse and eat ice cream and he had a poor work ethic. He then brought up Lidle's past history as a replacement player. Her didn't use the "scab" word.

After that report they played part of Lidle's press conference and he addressed Rhode's comments. He really sounded kind of lame to me.
    He most definitely called Lidle a scab

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14139414/

Philadelphia Phillies relief pitcher Arthur Rhodes blasted his now ex-teammate Cory Lidle, who told reporters after his trade to the New York Yankees that his former team did not care much about winning, the New York Post said.
    "He is a scab," Rhodes said about Lidle, in reference to Rhodes saying that Lidle was a replacement player during the 1995 spring training lockout with the Milwaukee Brewers. "When he started, he would go 51/3 innings and (the bullpen) would have to win the game for him. The only thing Cory Lidle wants to do is fly around in his airplane and gamble.
    "He doesn't have a work ethic. After every start, he didn't run or lift weights. He would sit in the clubhouse and eat ice cream."
    "When he pitched, we busted our tails for him," Rhodes added. "He shouldn't say that, he shouldn't say anything like that because he is a scab. He crossed the line when guys like me, Flash (Tom Gordon) and (Mike) Lieberthal were playing. He is a replacement player."
    On Monday, Lidle questioned the Phillies' commitment to winning.
    "I'm the kind of player who goes to the field every day expecting to win," Lidle said. "Over the last few years, I haven't had a clubhouse expecting to win with me. On the days I was pitching, it was almost a coin flip as to whether guys behind me were going to play 100 percent.
    "A lot of other guys in that [Phillies] clubhouse didn't all go out there with one goal in mind. Everyone liked to win, but they didn't expect to win. I think that being with 24 other guys that come to the clubhouse every day and expect to win will raise my level of play."

Turn Off Ads?