Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corey Lidle - Bridge Burner

Man Pills

Re: Corey Lidle - Bridge Burner

Give em hell, Arthur!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I had a feeling that the "scab" comment was going to come out. I would say that he is not all that well liked among his teammates wherever he is playing.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Rhodes' comments are hilarious. Fly in his jet and gamble. LOL.

Didn't Corey have a remarkable ability for not being able to pitch after five innings here, as well?
    Oh, and is this the same Corey Lidle who WILLINGLY signed with the Reds as a FA, then did the same with the Phils after being traded by the Reds? If so, then, gee, I guess it is his own personal preference to play for non-contenders.
    I've a feeling he's gonna be real popular in The Bronx

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I had a feeling that the "scab" comment was going to come out. I would say that he is not all that well liked among his teammates wherever he is playing.
    Oh, I don't know... Dunn called him "Easy" Lidle because he'd fleece him playing poker... IIRC.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 16-14
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I guess those feelings still run pretty deep for those "scabs". I would have thought the "non-scabs" would have gotten over that by now.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I guess those feelings still run pretty deep for those "scabs". I would have thought the "non-scabs" would have gotten over that by now.
    Doubt it... who was the "scab" that played for the Reds and had a pretty good career - but IIRC Larkin and others would always bring up that he was a "scab"? Was his last name Reed, Reid?
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 16-14
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Doubt it... who was the "scab" that played for the Reds and had a pretty good career - but IIRC Larkin and others would always bring up that he was a "scab"? Was his last name Reed, Reid?
    Yeah, Rick Reed. I think he used to pitch for the Twins. Maybe he's next on Wayne's list.

Yeah, Rick Reed. I think he used to pitch for the Twins. Maybe he's next on Wayne's list.
    Rick Reed is happily retired, coaching college baseball. He lives about 10 minutes from here.

"When he started, he would go 51/3 innings and (the bullpen) would have to win the game for him.
    In 21 starts this season, Lidle has pitched less than 6 innings only five times.

"...He is a replacement player."
    So sayeth' the pitcher with a 0.8 VORP.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

I seem to recall some silly comment made by Lidle when he left the Reds. I dont remember exactly what is was. Does anybody else recall it?

Possibly something along the lines of, "I just realized I was tipping my pitches and now they get rid of me."

I don't know if you work in a union shop, but scabs definitely cause hard feelings. I have worked a union job for 12 years, and fortunately we have never been on strike since I have been here. But I have friends and relatives that have worked at union jobs who have gone on strike, and it gets ugly when management brings in (or attempts to bring in) non-union replacement personnel.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    I don't know if you work in a union shop, but scabs definitely cause hard feelings. I have worked a union job for 12 years, and fortunately we have never been on strike since I have been here. But I have friends and relatives that have worked at union jobs who have gone on strike, and it gets ugly when management brings in (or attempts to bring in) non-union replacement personnel.
    Oh, I understand all that. I just thought it might be somewhat different for ball players. These guys are making millions of dollars. They are not struggling to make ends meet like Joe Sixpack. I cannot say I am surprised that there are still hard feelings. I just thought enough water has gone under the bridge for them to get over it.

Oh, I understand all that. I just thought it might be somewhat different for ball players. These guys are making millions of dollars. They are not struggling to make ends meet like Joe Sixpack. I cannot say I am surprised that there are still hard feelings. I just thought enough water has gone under the bridge for them to get over it.

I always wondered that, to. But a principle is a principle, I suppose.

The last contract my union had to vote on had a guy passing out "Vote Yes" buttons, while most of us walked around with "Vote No" on our shirts with Magic Marker. He also reported to management how many NO's he thought he turned into "Yesses". He still hasn't been offered an company job. The guy is still pretty much shunned. I can't see MLB players doing that.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

And as we see so much these days...

Owners & Unions... they are both greedy and selfish IMO. Both sides care more about themselves than they do about THE GAME.

I do not associate the MLB Union with other "labor" Unions relative to the non-Union thing. Who wouldn't take an opportunity to be a big-league player... regardless of the situation?!? I know I would... and I'd guess that 99% of RZ members would do the same. Also hard to feel sympathy for guys who get the things MLB players get ($$millions$$, meal money, etc.) and decide the need for more is worth standing in a picket-line. I'd like to think that the average-Joe sides with the non-Union-type who decides he'd play the game despite the "unworkable conditions" that cause the millionaires to go on strike.

When ballplayers make derogatory comments about a non-Union-type, it makes me side with that non-Union-type. If players want to take the other side on comments made by the non-Union-type that have nothing to do with being in the Union, then no problem (like, "Everyone in this clubhouse tries their best to win despite what Lidle says."). When you can only put the guy down by calling him names like scab, then you've got nothing... like an immature kid on the playground calling other kids names.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Turn Off Ads?