Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Can Krivsky Do With A Full Offseason?

What Can Krivsky Do With A Full Offseason?

I have to admit Wayne Krivsky has shown that he is just as good as a wheeler and dealer as Jim Bowden, but knows the importance of building for the longhaul with a solid farm system. Just the number of moves he has made in less than a year, makes you wonder what he could do with a full offseason under his belt. With all his moves so far, none of the top 10 prospects of this club were dealt.

If anything, Krivsky has renewed interest in the Cincinnati Reds.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What Can Krivsky Do With A Full Offseason?

40 man roster will have 30 relievers and 10 catchers

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    40 man roster will have 30 relievers and 10 catchers
    You may be off a bit. You have to make room for 8 middle infielders.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Man Pills

I don't know, but the method always seems to be to push back the point at which we make a judgment of a GM--"Now, let's give him the offseason before we make judgments....."

I know I keep harping on this, but despite all of our flaws we are in the hunt for the WC and division, in the first year since the departure of the Lindner/Allen/Obrian reign of terror. And don't even mention Schott/Bowen and the abuse they heaped on the club. The team has a lot of problems but we are aruging over how to win the division, not how to get out of last place.

It will be very interesting to see what he can acomplish in the offseason both in player moves and contiued FO/scouting/minor league improvements. There will prob be a lot of moves in that area that we may never hear about. My guess is we'll see a reshuffling of onfield tallent. BP to SS. EE to 3rd. etc. Some of the guys here now (Clayton, Weathers, Merker) woln't be back next year. Something tells me Hume will be sent packing also. Hopefully we'll see more of Mario Soto and other helpfull former Reds in spring training and more longer term coaching/consulting roles.

I know people feel we can be a much stronger team if we changed this or that, and I agree with most of the positions. But you have to admit, he's been part of the reason why we went from basement fodder to being "in the hunt" at this time in the season.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-01-2006 at 11:13 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Man Pills

Right now Krivsky's running on fumes from the draft and deadline flatline; he'll need a Some Girls and not a Bat Out of Hell II to clean his reputation if the Reds fail to make the postseason.

Scrappy up the roster with abundant veteraness?

Actually, I do look for them to make a run at a couple of "name" free agents this year (position and pitching) - especially if they can move Milton and/or Junior.

I don't know how successful they will be going up against the Big Boys, but I think they'll try. If nothing else, just to create a buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Right now Krivsky's running on fumes from the draft and deadline flatline; he'll need a Some Girls and not a Bat Out of Hell II to clean his reputation if the Reds fail to make the postseason.
    Nah, even taking a last place team to 2nd place in one season is a pretty decent debut album. More of a Shake Your Money Maker type thing.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I don't know, but the method always seems to be to push back the point at which we make a judgment of a GM--"Now, let's give him the offseason before we make judgments....."
    I can recall a lot of people saying, "You can't judge DanO based on only one offseason. It will take him several years to make his impact."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I think we can make a judgement on where he is currently. Currently he's got a team picked to be dead last in 2nd place, 1st in the WC and with a shot at winning the division.

Will this hold up? I don't know. But I don't think I need to push off any judgement on him. So far he's doing a pretty decent job. Room for improvement? Certinally, but so far so good IMO. Sure beats being in last place don't it?

Say what you want about the Washington trade, but look how the bullpen has reversed its fortunes with the acquistions of Guardado, Majeski and Bray. Now you add Lohse and Cormier to go with Coffey and Weathers, that's better than running out the likes of Shackelford, Standridge and Belisle.

And given Brandon Claussen's fine performance at Louisville last night, I have a hunch Lohse will be starting Saturday's game.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I think he could do his best to eliminate any player that was associated with the old regime.

It appears to me that he wants to make his mark with "his" players.

I would think in 2-3 years there will be no links to any of DanO or Jimbo's players, aside from the star prospects (Bruce, Bailey, etc.) and hopefully Dunn and EE.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    I think he could do his best to eliminate any player that was associated with the old regime.

It appears to me that he wants to make his mark with "his" players.

I would think in 2-3 years there will be no links to any of DanO or Jimbo's players, aside from the star prospects (Bruce, Bailey, etc.) and hopefully Dunn and EE.
    Heck, it has taken up to now for Krivsky to unload Dan O'Brien's acquistions. Now that he has the players he wants and the front office people in place, expect the retooling to continue this offseason.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Heck, it has taken up to now for Krivsky to unload Dan O'Brien's acquistions. Now that he has the players he wants and the front office people in place, expect the retooling to continue this offseason.

That's what I said or at least meant to say. I should have used the word "will" instead of could.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The way I look at it, we had a GM that seems to be biased toward pitching, defense and a good farm system taking over an organization diametrically opposed to that. It's a rough road he's traveling. I guess it's a matter of preference as to whether the road should be traveled slowly to minimize the jarring, or just clench the teeth, hit the gas and hang on.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?