Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What's your opinion regarding the current tone of the board?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should be renamed SnivelZone. Please kill me now.

78 47.27%
  • No Problem. Balance is fine between KoolAid junkies and Evildoers

81 49.09%
  • Too much optimism, dammit.

6 3.64%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Survey of RedsZone

Re: Survey of RedsZone

Well, so far we've got 65 people who think we're overrun with whining crybabies and 67 people who are happy with the mix of emotions and analysis.

And somehow, FCB managed to vote 6 times that there is way too much optimism.

Personally, I think M2 nailed it. I don't mind great analysis in a negative vein if there's a thought process behind it. Same with optimism.

But the childish drivel on both ends of the spectrum, or "noise" as I believe WOY first described it a while back, well, that's like sitting at a ballgame and having to listen to a loud, obnoxious fan behind you who can't shut up and doesn't have a clue.

It's not fun. And it detracts from the many great posters here who I really want to read.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

And somehow, FCB managed to vote 6 times that there is way too much optimism.
    No him and red-in-la split the vote...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I don't care for the choices. Half-full, half-empty... I like to hear both sides, but it's the manner in which those sides are presented anymore that prevents me from wanting to do anything more than "scan for bad words" on this site.

"It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    It's not fun. And it detracts from the many great posters here who I really want to read.
    But as M2 said, you've got to learn to filter it out. Unless you want an uber strict moderated board like JaxRed had a few years ago, you're going to have some noise on any internet site.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

But the childish drivel on both ends of the spectrum, or "noise" as I believe WOY first described it a while back, well, that's like sitting at a ballgame and having to listen to a loud, obnoxious fan behind you who can't shut up and doesn't have a clue.

In all seriousness, how many posters have you negged for this behavior?

I am gearing up to go a negging run. I don't mind a bit of it, but its getting out of hand. I'd go hang exclusively at the Old Red Guard board, but is only slightly better there.

This site has grown so much that its reaching maximum density. IMO its only a matter of time before it explodes.

GL

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Don't know if this has been mentioned before...maybe Redszone could have another section called "REDS RANT" where posters could go to get out there frustrations? However, I am not sure separation would be a good thing. Just a thought...

Very well put '62. I agree with M2 that it's necessary to filter out the noise. The problem is, the noise has reached such decibels lately, it is nearly impossible to filter out.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

One thing to add about game threads, the beauty/problem with baseball is that it moves slow enough to allow for extended conversation. It's great when that conversation interests and annoying when you've hit the "shut up, I get it already" point.

I actually like foks on both ends of the positive/negative extreme in the game threads. For instance, after Rich Aurilia does something right against a RHP you invariably get someone posting that maybe Jerry Narron does know what he's doing and that Rich should be hitting cleanup against RHPs after all. That person is of course wrong about Narron knowing what he's doing in terms of hitting Aurilia cleanup against righties, but I like a good lineup construction debate and usually someone says something intelligent or funny along the way. Plus, as long as Narron keeps writing "Aurilia - 3B" in the 4 slot of the lineup with a RHP on the mound, these things are bound to come up.

On the flipside, premature gloom predictions give you a chance to post about why things might go right. For instance, in the last Astros series FCB opened the door for me to post that one run for Harang was probably enough to beat a Berkman-less Astros lineup. It was. We also got renew our season-long tennis match on Taylor Buchholz (I'm now serving for quadruple match point). For the record, I don't considered FCB negative. He cares more than most here about how the team does and he's descriptively gifted. He's one of my absolute favorite posters because I enjoy it when I disagree with him every bit as much as I do when I agree with him. When I disagree with a negative take of his in a game thread it just gives me something else to root for during the game.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

What I'll never understand is why people who get mad at fans for "bailing" on the team turn around and bail on this site. If you don't like the tone, change it. Use your influence to talk about some interesting observation you've made, positive or negative. Or do what Cyclone does--post some stats and facts and see what people can make of them.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The only thing that I would like to add about the "tone" is that I actually think people root for Rich to fail or Clayton to make an error or Narron to make a bad decision, just so they'll be right.

Exhibit A: Page 1 from last night's ORG game thred.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The only thing that bugs me about message boards (in general) is when it seems like someone roots against a player because it proves a point that he/she made in the past. But that's an 'mlb.com' problem, not so much a RedsZone problem.

However, in a gamethread, if someone posts "well, game over" after the Reds allow a run in the top of the first, don't be surprised if there's some backlash from other posters if the Reds come back and win.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    What I'll never understand is why people who get mad at fans for "bailing" on the team turn around and bail on this site. If you don't like the tone, change it. Use your influence to talk about some interesting observation you've made, positive or negative. Or do what Cyclone does--post some stats and facts and see what people can make of them.
    Nobody should get called out for "bailing" on the team. I don't think there is anyone here that dislikes the Cincinnati Reds because they have strong viewpoints against the latest moves. That's why I think the people questioning you about your fanship was way overboard.

I think this type of board flareup was inevitable after all the big moves that just occurred. People are going to have strong feelings on both sides of the issues and with those feelings there will be ego bruising when you are told you are wrong. It used to happen every year during the draft threads. The posters personality get's challenged more than the posters viewpoints, that's wrong but almost inevitable on an open forum.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    The only thing that I would like to add about the "tone" is that I actually think people root for Rich to fail or Clayton to make an error or Narron to make a bad decision, just so they'll be right.

Exhibit A: Page 1 from last night's ORG game thred.
    I read the comment in question as fairly blatant sarcasm.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds

However, in a gamethread, if someone posts "well, game over" after the Reds allow a run in the top of the first, don't be surprised if there's some backlash from other posters if the Reds come back and win.
    but even that isn't really the problem. The problem is the follow on Tsunamai of outcries about the spur of the moment comment(s).

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    but even that isn't really the problem. The problem is the follow on Tsunamai of outcries about the spur of the moment comment(s).
    Isn't a gamethread all about spur of the moment comments?

Turn Off Ads?