Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips plays 2B (threads merged)

Brandon Phillips plays 2B (threads merged)

I'd like to get EdE in the lineup more. I don't think Castro/Clayton are a particularly good SS combo, and I am skeptical that RA has the wheels anymore.

Having said that, I don't get the infatuation of moving Phillips to SS. Given the near-constant suggestions that the Reds field a lineup with Phillips at SS, and further, the virtual assumption that he WILL man SS next year after spring training, I would have figured that he has some history of actually playing SS at this level.

Not so much. I don't recall him playing SS for the Reds yet (totally possible that I missed it). In his three (partial) seasons with Cleveland, guess how much he played SS.

From 2002 - 2005, BP played just three more major league innings at shortstop than I did. What's more, it looks like he booted one of the two balls hit to him (in fairness, it also looks like may have turned the other into a double play).

I haven't been able to access fielding statistics for his minor league years. The 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 thebaseballcube.com Buffalo Bisons rosters list him as a 2B only. Not to say he didn't play some SS, but they don't even list him as 2B-SS. In Ottowa (AAA) - 2B, Harrisburg (AA) - 2B, Jupiter (A+) - 2B, Cape Fear (A) - 2B, and with the Gulf Coast Expos (Rookie) - you guessed it, 2B. Maybe his designation as 2B is something specific to thebaseballcube.com; I don't know of a better source.

But what is it that makes us think that BP can play short? Did Narron or Phillips make it so by saying it when he came over? Maybe we should be playing him at 2B.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips plays 2B!

He played over 100 games at SS last year in AAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

106 games at SS last year in AAA, 65 the year before

The defensive part of playing SS probabaly doesn't change much from AAA to the ML. So I think he would be great at playing SS for the reds. Should I go so far to say... Gold Glover?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    106 games at SS last year in AAA, 65 the year before
    Then, I just have to wonder... why the reluctance to go ahead and let him play a few games there now? At least. Get Edwin a few more starts while Rich goes to second. If Phillips shows he can handle it after easing him into the position and the offense starts to click again, got to it more.

If Phillips hadn't hit the cover off the ball when he first came over, Narron probably would be shuffling him all over the field and talking about how he has to earn a spot on the team by being versatile.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danwl
    But what is it that makes us think that BP can play short?
    Phillips isn't exactly an unknown quantity; he started showing up on top-prospect lists five years ago or more. He came up as a shortstop and was well-regarded defensively. Cleveland tried him out at second base because he was blocked at the major-league level by Vizquel and then by Peralta, not because they didn't think he could handle the position defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala
    Then, I just have to wonder... why the reluctance to go ahead and let him play a few games there now?
    My guess is that they don't want to mess with a good thing by dumping a big new responsibility on him right now, and have it affect his hitting. Neither Aurilia nor Freel is any great shakes defensively at second, so the justification for the move is offense, getting Clayton's bat out of the lineup and a better one in; if Phillips' offense suffers, then the moves cancel out or, worse, hurt the team.
    Not all who wander are lost

OldRedBuck

You don't mess with something that is working...period.

Despite this boards opinion, Clayton is the perfect fit for this team as a SS. He is a hundred times better than Lopez...for this year.

Right now, Kriv is playing the best pitching/defensive group he can on a daily basis....That means EE sits and Clayton is your SS.

Get used to it...because it works.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRedBuck
    Them there horseless carriges worked pretty well.

I dig the eight track...man, music right in my car with no record player!

My ice box keeps my food plenty cold, so what if i need to buy ice every few days...I mean it works, and I'm use to it.

Since when is it wrong to want to do something better?
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRedBuck
    You don't mess with something that is working...period.

Despite this boards opinion, Clayton is the perfect fit for this team as a SS. He is a hundred times better than Lopez...for this year.

Right now, Kriv is playing the best pitching/defensive group he can on a daily basis....That means EE sits and Clayton is your SS.

Do you still think Royce Clayton at SS works?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Them there horseless carriges worked pretty well.

I dig the eight track...man, music right in my car with no record player!

My ice box keeps my food plenty cold, so what if i need to buy ice every few days...I mean it works, and I'm use to it.

Since when is it wrong to want to do something better?
    LOL!

Change is good...if it's progress!

You don't know if it's progress till you try it
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Do you still think Royce Clayton at SS works?
    I don't but I somehow think Wayne and Jerry don't share my opinion.

Just saw Felipe hit a 410 foot triple. Can the Reds have a mulligan?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

true enough; do you flip BP to SS right now, in the middle of the season?

That's a lot of pressure on a kid who is just hitting his stride this year as a big leaguer.

Seems right to me. Open 2B for RA,a nd then can go with EE @ 3B. This would be an excellent offensive infield. Defense? Would remain to be seen if EE can stabilize and if BP can adjust quickly- all during a pennant race.

For me- I think it's just great to be this into the Reds, finally, during August!

Like I said at the time, my great disappointment from the trade was not that they overpaid (they did) but that they acquired Clayton and thought he would be an everyday SS. It had me calling into question if the Reds FO and management had a clue what they were doing.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

As the Good Lord as my witness and reading threads and highlights, it is time for Brandon Phillips to start at short.

This means (and I can't believe I am going to say this) RA has to play 2nd.

This gets EE in the lineup at third.

It keeps Deno on the bench....for now.

Now back to the regularly scheduled headbanging, already in progress.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?