Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Royce Clayton is disappointing, to say the least

Royce Clayton is disappointing, to say the least

Royce Clayton is making air-headed plays at a pace surpassing that of one Felipe Lopez. Juan Castro is incapable of hitting, but at least the guy can play sterling defense. Not only is Clayton not making the spectacular play, he's not even making the routine play. Disappointing to say the least.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Buckeye Bomber

Re: Clayton

If you're going to hold that throw against Clayton, which was a succesful throw with a bad call (I know it was a bad throw, but it got the job done, the Umpire simply missed the call), you best be throwing Ryan Freel underneath the bus for making a crucial error that resulted in 5 runs in the inning.

If he catches the ball, its runners on first and second with two outs. A groundball to Clayton would have resulted in a step on the bag end to the inning.

Fans are starting to unload on Clayton. Something tells me they won't boo Freel for that play though.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Sorry for the french, but he is a ***. Always bails on double plays (when there is a runner anywhere near him) and throws high. Hatteberg still came down before the runner got there, but the point is you don't put the umpire in a position to make a bang-bang call on what should be a ROUTINE double play. Clayton is beyond awful. Clearly my least favorite player on the team. OK, maybe excluding LaRue.

our infield defense is terrible outside of Phillips. with our rotation not being top shelf, and opposing teams putting ALOT of balls in play (we are near the bottom in strikeouts/9ip) we need the best defense we can put out there.

i am fearing the worst with these trades sorry. what good is a bullpen if we are already down 9-2 by the 6th inning?

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan
    our infield defense is terrible outside of Phillips. with our rotation not being top shelf, and opposing teams putting ALOT of balls in play (we are near the bottom in strikeouts/9ip) we need the best defense we can put out there.

i am fearing the worst with these trades sorry. what good is a bullpen if we are already down 9-2 by the 6th inning?
    Aurillia at third is terrible?

Hatte at first is terrible?

This is news to me.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

yep, it just seems to be the SS position. except the (seemingly) rare days when EE is in the lineup.

Freel's play was awful, no question. But that's not a pattern for Freel. And Clayton does indeed bail out any time a runner gets close to him. He plays tentative. I don't know if it's the pressure of coming to a pennant race and knowing he's being counted on for good defense or what, but something has to change with him.

The Buckeye Bomber

Right now we're getting lucky. St. Louis is on its way to a five game losing streak, and the D-Backs are down big early.

However, that's not going to last.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81
    Right now we're getting lucky. St. Louis is on its way to a five game losing streak, and the D-Backs are down big early.

However, that's not going to last.
    I don't know how much luck it is, I'd consider us to be lucky if all that happened AND we were able to capitalize by getting some wins when the other teams are losing.

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by dburke1337
    I don't know how much luck it is, I'd consider us to be lucky if all that happened AND we were able to capitalize by getting some wins when the other teams are losing.
    Well, we're lucky to be holding steady in both races, for the moment.

If the Cardinals weren't a mess against the Cubs, we'd be miles out in the Central right now. So I consider us lucky.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Every time the Cardinals hit a swoon, we do too. It's getting frustrating. It's RIGHT THERE for this team, all they have to do is grab it. But every time they get close to grabbing it, one or two stupid plays leads to one big inning. That's really what's plagued this team lately, are the big innings, especially in Arroyo's case. And plays like Freel and Clayton made this inning are what lead to those, unfortunately.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81
    Well, we're lucky to be holding steady in both races, for the moment.

If the Cardinals weren't a mess against the Cubs, we'd be miles out in the Central right now. So I consider us lucky.
    Don't get me wrong, I know what you mean, but I think a little bit of us taking advantage of it is needed. Please don't mind the rants of a frustrated man lol

Catro should be the everyday starter, no questions asked. Castro is hitting .306 since coming to the Reds and Clayton is hitting .261, so I dont even wanna hear that Castro cant hit. Will Castro hit .300 from here on out? No, but the fact of the matter is he will hit better than Clayton and Narron is pissing me off more and more by allowing Clayton to take the field every day.

And whoever said Clayton will be rewarded for his plays tonight by hitting leadoff tomorrow is probably right.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

OldRedBuck

Sorry for the french, but he is a ***. Always bails on double plays (when there is a runner anywhere near him) and throws high. H
    What part of the 6-3 DP the other nite did you miss? The one where Clayton went to his knees, got up and completed the play? Oh yeah, that was in a one run game..and was the final play of the game...he bailed EveryDay Eddie out there...

This board is horrible with posters who dont know jack...I think fantasy baseball has ruined our youth...

Well, Castro has hit well since coming back to us, but that's a very small sample. Clayton will probably hit for a higher average than Castro over the course of a season, but that's insignificant to me right now. With Ross in the lineup, shortstop would be the only easy out in our lineup, so I'm fine with that. As long as the defense is there.

Turn Off Ads?