Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Royce Clayton is disappointing, to say the least

Re: Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by OldRedBuck
    What part of the 6-3 DP the other nite did you miss? The one where Clayton went to his knees, got up and completed the play? Oh yeah, that was in a one run game..and was the final play of the game...he bailed EveryDay Eddie out there...

This board is horrible with posters who dont know jack...I think fantasy baseball has ruined our youth...
    Clayon made that EASY DP ball almost turn into only getting 1 out.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

2. Turn Off Ads?

The bad plays have far outnumbered the good so far for Clayton. In his prime, the guy was one hell of a defender. But his prime is light years away at this point.

I've been wanting Castro as the starting SS since we traded FeLo. Atleast you know what you're going to get, great D, little offense, and even a homer now and than if the pitcher lays it in just right.

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo
    I've been wanting Castro as the starting SS since we traded FeLo. Atleast you know what you're going to get, great D, little offense, and even a homer now and than if the pitcher lays it in just right.
    I love Castro, and I can't believe he's not starting at Short over Clayton.

Castro is a great defensive shortstop.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

At this rate, Royce Clayton is making me miss Gookie Dawkins. Actually, that's not fair to Clayton. I miss Gookie period, just because of his name. When D.T. Cromer briefly played first base for us, and Gookie and Pokey manned the middle, those were the best. "Gookie to Pokey to D.T.!" Never mind, I don't miss that. Those were some AWFUL injury decimated ballclubs, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRedBuck
    What part of the 6-3 DP the other nite did you miss? The one where Clayton went to his knees, got up and completed the play? Oh yeah, that was in a one run game..and was the final play of the game...he bailed EveryDay Eddie out there...

This board is horrible with posters who dont know jack...I think fantasy baseball has ruined our youth...
    Incorrect. Try again. If you think Clayton is a good defensive SS, look in the mirror to find the baseball novice.

Well, Clayton can't turn DP's all that well, but he can hit into them quite well!! Two more months of Clayton, two more months of Clayton, Two more months of Clayton...

Clayton is terrible with the bat.. just terrible

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    Well, Clayton can't turn DP's all that well, but he can hit into them quite well!! Two more months of Clayton, two more months of Clayton, Two more months of Clayton...
    He turned one perfectly well in the ninth.

Not that it mattered.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Quote Originally Posted by cjs07484
    Clayton is terrible with the bat.. just terrible
    And with the glove.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Why not Castro, if pitching and defense win games, I would rather have Castro making plays instead of Clayton missing them. Besides the double plays he has a hard time turning (probably because of no arm strength,) he has no range on what look like routine ground balls.

Castro also has a little pop in his bat, not the big zero homeruns like Clayton.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

It's Griffey's fault

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    Not only is Clayton not making the spectacular play, he's not even making the routine play. Disappointing to say the least.
    I'm sorry, Clayton makes the routine play, Marty said so.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Definitely Griffey's fault! I mean geez, if Griffey isn't back there staring at Clayton and making him nervous, then there's no way he's botching all of these plays!! DAMN THAT GRIFFEY!

One of Pete Rose's theories, (as presented by Tracy Jones) was that guys who need their legs to do their jobs (i.e. middle infielders, outfielders depended on for defense etc.) could "lose it in an the blink of an eye" when they age. Seeing 3 weeks of Clayton I have to wonder if he has crossed that line during this season.

Down in Houston, how did he not get to Berkman's RBI single in the 3rd game. Then of course he fell down and nearly missed turning the game ending double play. And, the problems he had in Milwaukee have been beaten around pretty good here..

Tonight I thought Martin's single off Arroyo in the 4 run inning looked very playable for Clayton; and of course he subsequently botched that gimme DP which along with Freel's earlier error opened the flood gates. On the should have been DP, the guy was bearing down on him at little at 2nd but it was the catcher going to first. He had all kinds of time to step to the inside of the bag, get set and make a good throw. Instead he flipped that lollipup up there off the wrong foot and the rest is history. And we've been told he is out there for his veteran presence and situational awareness....

While we're passsing out goat's horns, Ross also played a part. In the 4 run inning, Dunn gave him a strong throw to make a play on Drew and he wasn't able to come up with the hop. They get that out and the 4 run inning becomes a zero run inning. The ball had Drew beat by close to 10 feet. I thought Ross was too passive. He could have steped around his backhand and stepped into the throw and have been moving right into the runner.

I'll bet Narron doesn't sleep a wink tonite thinking about those three plays that would have stopped 9 of the 10 runs.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 08-01-2006 at 10:38 PM.

Turn Off Ads?