Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Royce Clayton is disappointing, to say the least

Re: Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio
    One of Pete Rose's theories, (as presented by Tracy Jones) was that guys who need their legs to do their jobs (i.e. middle infielders, outfielders depended on for defense etc.) could "lose it in an the blink of an eye" when they age. Seeing 3 weeks of Clayton I have to wonder if he has crossed that line during this season.
    he crossed it a few season back

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I'm sorry, Clayton makes the routine play, Marty said so.
    Just curious. I was at the game so I wasn't listening.

What did marty say on the radio?

The problem I had with Ross at that play at the plate was in inability to block the plate. With Larue in there, he at least attempts to do so, and maybe gets an out. But with that being said, with Larue in there, the catcher spot doesn't drive in two runs tonight, so who knows what would have happened. But you're right, Ross has a problem with those kind of plays at the plate. That's not the first one he's bobbled or dropped this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red
    Just curious. I was at the game so I wasn't listening.

What did marty say on the radio?
    It was an interview he did yesterday with McAlister where he went on and on about Clayton and how he has solidifed the defense and makes the routine play.

Re: Royce Clayton is disappointing, to say the least

Castro doesn't have great range but actually DOES make the routine play and CAN throw the ball 90 ft. Thus, he should be starting if Phillips isn't moving over this year. Clayton is a washed up hack, plain and simple.

It's a sad day in Cincinnati when fans are clamoring for Juan Castro to be the everyday SS.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I'm sorry, Clayton makes the routine play, Marty said so.
    It must be fact then.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    It must be fact then.
    well, HOFers don't need data to back their opinions. It must be taken on faith to worship at the altar of the poofy haired pooba.

RotoHester

Can I ask a question? After the flop that Clayton gave Phillips a few nights ago that BP missed, has Clayton given up on going 6-4-3? I just watched the replay on Sportscenter of the missed doubleplay and it seems that BP was heading to the bag and Clayton tried to rush the play instead. Anyone else notice that?

You can blame Clayton (who I do agree sucks) or Freel or whoever all you want. It's pointless though. You might as well blame the pitcher then too. If the pitcher pitches the hitter right, you record an out (it's not like we were running Rick White out there). Nobody seemed to be making the plays and we lost the game. It's over and done with. Hopefully tomorrow will be a Win.

RotoHester

Sorry, I can't place any blame on the pitcher in that situation. Todd Coffey made the pitch he needed, got the groundball he needed and the play was gaffed. No blame on Coff

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    The problem I had with Ross at that play at the plate was in inability to block the plate. With Larue in there, he at least attempts to do so, and maybe gets an out........... But you're right, Ross has a problem with those kind of plays at the plate. That's not the first one he's bobbled or dropped this year.
    Agreed, that was what I was trying to say. If he steps around the throw and takes the ball in front of him, he would have been in position to come accross Drew's path and push him wide of the plate to the dugout side.

Also agree that Ross in general is not good at catch and tag. I think what really happened to him tonite was that by being passive he allowed the ball to play him and it took more of a hop than a skip which made it a particularly difficult situation to stab back handed and make a sweep tag.

Turn Off Ads?