Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assessing Krivsky

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Assessing Krivsky

Waynes tenure to this point is a bit of mixed bag(as it is with most GMs), some really good moves early and some not so good as of late. Overall to this point the scorecard is decidely in his favor.

In general I have found that it is a lot easier for people to cut and run from small mistakes than the bigger ones. What tends to happen is that the larger mistakes cause a refusal for people to want to admit the problem which causes a delay in being able to move on and fix it.

Wayne has been very proactive in identifying problems and trying to fix them. He has shown himself to be decisive if something isn't working in trying to fix it. No doubt the Kearns/Lopez deal was a big trade, which brings us to the current SS situation. It has become quite apparent, with last night being an exclamation point, that the hoped for results from bringing Clayton in to play SS are not happening and seem unlikely to occur. So the question is, will Krivsky step up, admit the mistake and move on and try and fix it. If he does I will be solidly in his camp as the GM. The reason losing franchises get stuck where they are is a refusal to admit a mistake and move on. Instead the losing franchises live with their mistakes year after year and hope against all reason that it will get better. I'll be watching.

Re: Assessing Krivsky

I don't necessarily think we need to DFA Clayton though. Just bench him and let Castro start. The Reds are thin enough on position players that they probably have to carry Clayton as a backup infielder.

Who would've ever thought there'd be such a movement on RedsZone to make Castro a starting player
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I don't necessarily think we need to DFA Clayton though. Just bench him and let Castro start. The Reds are thin enough on position players that they probably have to carry Clayton as a backup infielder.
    That would be Narrons decision, I don't see any reason to believe that Krivksy is providing input into who should be playing. Wayne's decision is whether or not a player is on the roster, Narrons decision is which eight are on the field each night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    That would be Narrons decision, I don't see any reason to believe that Krivksy is providing input into who should be playing. Wayne's decision is whether or not a player is on the roster, Narrons decision is which eight are on the field each night.
    True, I know some people want to DFA Clayton just so Narron isn't tempted to use him, but surely Wayne could talk with Narron about it. Sadly, I'm not sure Wayne realizes what a disaster Clayton is. Wayne sure seemed high on Clayton at the time of the trade. For all we know, it might be Wayne insisting Clayton was the starter.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    True, I know some people want to DFA Clayton just so Narron isn't tempted to use him, but surely Wayne could talk with Narron about it. Sadly, I'm not sure Wayne realizes what a disaster Clayton is. Wayne sure seemed high on Clayton at the time of the trade. For all we know, it might be Wayne insisting Clayton was the starter.
    Clayton as a backup does not serve much purpose, he has never played 2b/3b(ok, one game in 92) in his career making not very useful as a backup since he can't hit either.

Wayne is a nice contrast to the DanO method of problem resolution(ignore it and hope it gets better). Krivsky seems to keep throwing solutions at a problem until something sticks(like acquring 5 bullpen arms). I just hope keeps going into he find something that sticks at SS. It seems likely the margin of error for making the playoffs will be very small.

I think for the most part, fans appreciate Krivsky and what he has done (at least in some trades). What fans don't appreciate is Narron and his managing.

I'd give him B+ at this point. The bullpen needed to be re-shaped badly, I didn't think he could make enough trades to do that, but he has. I think long term, that will prove itself, which will up the grade I am giving him.

Arroyo, Phillips and Ross were great trades.

I wasn't particularly happy that Kearns was dealt, but I understand. I'm just glad we have a GM that is not afraid to pull the trigger, but also not afraid to make a mistake. Jim Bowden had a lot of the first trait, but not too much of the second. O'Brien, unfortunately had neither and I think still may have Lindner and Allen's puppett strings on his back, but I digress.

Majewski has been as much unlucky as he has been bad, Bray looks good and Cormier is solid. Lohse, I'm willing to take a wait and see approach.

Clayton has been disappointing. Not so much that I thought he was that good, but he is not playing like a veteran, he has not been the defensive upgrade he was labeled to be. Lopez being gone doesn't bother me, but Clayton hasn't been any better which drops his grade some, so all we did was lose some offense in the process.

I look forward to see what Krivsky will do in the future. He should make Reds baseball fun again.

I'd give him a B-.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Maybe it is a cop out, but I'm not ready to give a grade.

I'm not a fan of any of the trades he made in the past month, but if they make the playoffs he has at least accomplished something. He certainly turned over the bullpen, but I'm not sold on how big of an improvement he made. For all of Krivsky's manuvering, the Reds still don't have a single pitcher they can run out there in a critical situation to shut down a rally.
    Last edited by puca; 08-02-2006 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1
    What fans don't appreciate is Narron and his managing.
    That's because there isn't much to appreciate from him. A good manager would find a way to get BP, RA, and EE on the field at the same time. A good manager would find a way to move JR. down a spot or two in the lineup.
    Narron is a decent guy and helped turn this team around, but he is also doing his best to stunt the team's growth for this year and beyond.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Okay... I've had enough reading of Clayton and last night.

I was un-able to watch and listen to the game due to working....

What the heck did he do?
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Fat_Strat

As a Cards fan, I hope you don't mind if I weigh in.

Even though I don't agree with the Kearns/Lopez trade, I think that Krivsky spells blood in the water as is going after us with all he's worth. I'm a very objective and knowledgable fan, and I can tell you flat out that we are not a good team. The entire NL is weak. There's no reason why, if you get hot at the right time, you can't make a serious run this season.

If you can make a playoff run, restock your coffers with some postseason cash, and then start making a more serious play at some of the FA pitchers next year you'll catch up with us in a hurry.

It's all boils down to money. The more you have the more you can spend while still raking in profits. I see the Reds as the 2000 Cardinals, right before we starting spending money and trading prospects to put together our current string of division championships.

Good luck to you. You'll need it. But, it will be nice to worry about someone other than the Astros for awhile.

Hey, thanks for the words Fat Strat. If Wayne Krivsky can come anywhere close to doing the job here that Jocketty has done in St. Louis, Reds fans will be ecstatic. Any news on Mark Mulder by the way? I haven't heard much, but I do know if that guy can come back at anywhere near full strength down the stretch, you guys are gonna be looking good. Hopefully we can go down to the wire with you, but either way, good luck to you also.

Turn Off Ads?