Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious iPod Problem

Not Laughing

Serious iPod Problem

I know there are iPod owners around here and I was hoping somebody could offer some helpful information regarding my iPod problem....

I think mine may be shot. It won't start up (only get Apple logo then it shuts off) and my PC won't recognize it at all. It's a 20g 4th Gen and still under warranty. I know I can send it to Apple but they charge for $35.00 for this shipping so I thought I'd check around first.

Some of the symptoms I encountered before this issue was freezing during playback, and random skipping of songs and not always being recognized by my PC when connected (this was only recently)

I have over 1500 songs and, if possible, I'd like to recover them. Is this possible? Has anybody had this problem? Since it's under warranty, will Apple send me a new one (or refurbished one)? Will they be able to transfer the songs?

HELP!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

2. Turn Off Ads?
    University of Cincinnati

Re: Serious iPod Problem

#1 It doesn't look good especially if your computer doesnt recognize it
    #2 I doubt youll recover any songs from the ipod now
    #3 hopefully you have all those songs copied to your computer
    #4 I'd just take it to the closest Apple store you have, here in Cincinnati there is one in Kenwood Mall. They would probably give you a new one and then ship yours off.
    THE University of Cincinnati

Take it to the Apple store. If they say there's nothing they can do (which they probably will), throw it on the ground. I'm dead serious. If that doesn't work, I think that's it. You can turn it in to Apple for a 10% discount on a new one, but I don't think they could recover your songs unfortunately.

OH -- I misread it -- i see yours is still under warranty. Then absolutely take it to the store. They will take care of it. Don't throw it.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

These steps here tell you how to reset an Ipod. I would try these steps they may unlock your problem. If not you will need to take it back to the store. Here are the reset steps:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    These steps here tell you how to reset an Ipod. I would try these steps they may unlock your problem. If not you will need to take it back to the store. Here are the reset steps:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705
    I should have mentioned that I tried all of the "R's" from the Apple website. Thanks!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

If you are in Columbus there is an Apple store at the Easton Town Center. You might be able to take it there to get it fixed which would save you the cost of shipping it back.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

So is it Itunes that doesn't recognize it or is it actually your PC?

You might want to, before you do anything drastic, try to back it up.

I spent about $100 buying a USB connected Harddrive that has 250GB on it and backed my Ipod up in case something like this happens in the future. If it's just Itunes that doesn't recognize it, your computer still may, and you should be able to copy the entire ipod and back it up. Which is something I'd recommend for everyone. Cheap investment for the amount of music and data you have on there.

Then I'd wipe the thing clean and start from scratch.

If your computer doesn't recognize it - that's a different animal. One I'm not sure I know how to fix.

You might want to also browse the forums at IpodLounge

http://forums.ilounge.com/

That's the biggest Ipod site on the web that I know of, and chances are someone else has had the same problem and there is a way to fix it

here is the forum for the 4G Ipods

http://forums.ilounge.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66

Good luck

Get a Creative Zen and listen to a REAL MP3 player.

iTunes is almost the equivalent of spyware....it's worse than AOL.

You can get a Creative Zen with video capabilities and with an enormous hard drive for about HALF of the price an iPod costs. Don't let Apple sell you on their name.....because that's all you're buying.

Apple uses PC parts in their computers now, and don't even make their own parts anymore....

Their commercials are rather contradicting....considering how you can now load Windows onto their systems.

I had something similar to this happen to my 20 gb Creative Zen Touch mp3 player. One day I was listening to songs just fine and then it froze up. I hit the reset button when I got home and turned it back on and it said an error had occurred and said I could try to fix it by reloading the entire hard drive (i.e. dump all my songs and reset it). I did this and it was still broken. I ended up sending it in, paying an outrageous fee for a new hard drive (was about a month out of warranty), and then I got it back good as new. I haven’t had a problem since.

As for the IPod vs. Creative debate, I’m not really sure which way I swing. I had a Creative and the above was my experience with it – other than that it’s been fine. My friend also had one of the new video Creative players and had similar difficulties. I have also had friends with IPod’s that broke on them as well. I guess it doesn’t matter which brand you have, things like that happen. The Creatives are significantly cheaper but the thing that frustrated me with the Creative Zen was that nothing was compatible. A lot of these accessories for mp3 players are designed only for IPod’s. As for the programs, it really doesn’t matter for me. I used the software with my Creative player and I’ve used ITunes. I really don’t care for either one of them, especially ITunes. The IPod’s also tend to be a little smaller and lighter but that isn’t a big deal for me.

I am currently looking for a new MP3 player with the video capability. Has anyone ever purchased the refurbished players from the IPod store? I saw they came with a 1 year warranty and I’m sure they perform like new but I was looking for people’s opinions on them. If not, I was still leaning toward getting an IPod since I get a decent work discount with my summer job. If anyone else knows of good discounts or other deals on any mp3 players I would appreciate it. Also, any other opinions would be nice to weigh in making my decision.

Edit: I also forgot to add this was the reason I purchased my first external hard drive. I never want to go through copying all of those CD's to my computer again.
    Last edited by Caseyfan21; 08-02-2006 at 05:45 PM.

I'm a big fan of my 20 GB IRiver.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I second the iRiver recommendation.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dicken
    iTunes is almost the equivalent of spyware....it's worse than AOL.

Don't let Apple sell you on their name.....because that's all you're buying.

Apple uses PC parts in their computers now, and don't even make their own parts anymore....

Their commercials are rather contradicting....
    Somebody's just jealous they didn't buy in on the stock when it was at $12 a share.

I had a Creative Zen MP3 player for my first digital music player and it was nothing but trouble. I like that iTunes automates everything -- I plug my iPod in and it works. I like simplicity.

Come to think of it -- that's what I really bought, not just a name.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Somebody's just jealous they didn't buy in on the stock when it was at $12 a share.

I had a Creative Zen MP3 player for my first digital music player and it was nothing but trouble. I like that iTunes automates everything -- I plug my iPod in and it works. I like simplicity.

Come to think of it -- that's what I really bought, not just a name.
    You bought simplicity? Since when is converting every single MP3 song on your computer to ACC format, just to be able to play on an iPod, simplicity?

Stock means absolutely nothing to me in this case....I would personally buy ANY MP3 player over an iPod. Why?

Because I can:

1. Listen to an MP3 in them. (Most music stores are MP3 dedicated)
    2. Burn MP3s to disc, listen to them in my car. (Most car stereos now play MP3s from CD)
    3. Put them on my Creative Zen, hook up my Monster FM transmitter, and listen to them on any standard home radio, car stereo, etc.

Simple rule of thumb: Don't buy something so proprietary. What's the point in buying something that you have to buy 500000000 different connectors to just to do what you want?

Don't get me wrong....the versatility is great....lots of options. But I'd rather invest into something a little better than spend $1,000 all around on an proprietary digital music player.

Simple rule of thumb: Don't buy something so proprietary. What's the point in buying something that you have to buy 500000000 different connectors to just to do what you want?
    Actually I have two connectors. The FM transmittor for the car and a simple RCA to stereo cord for the home stereo. Most of my music is played directly from the computer anyway so I actually need no additional connectors. Not sure why "500000000 different conections" would be needed.

Simple rule of thumb: don't over complicate things.

Burn MP3s to disc, listen to them in my car. (Most car stereos now play MP3s from CD)
    Who the heck has the time to sit and burn CD's? With the ipod, I download, I sync, I go. My time's pretty important and I don't want to waste it. Oh yea, even with a 6 disk changer in the car I'm still fiddling with CD's while I'm trying to drive because invaribly the one I want is not in the player. Where's the simplicy in that?

Since when is converting every single MP3 song on your computer to ACC format, just to be able to play on an iPod, simplicity?
    Im not positive, so maybe I am wrong, but I don't think you have to convert MP3's to play on itunes/ipod. I downloaded the Marty B call of Dunns game winning grandslam and I'm almost postive that was MP3. I also already had a bunch of songs that I know are MP3 and they play just fine on itunes/ipod.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-02-2006 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Actually I have two connectors. The FM transmittor for the car and a simple RCA to stereo cord for the home stereo. Most of my music is played directly from the computer anyway so I actually need no additional connectors. Not sure why "500000000 different conections" would be needed

Simple rule of thumb: don't over complicate things.

Who the heck has the time to sit and burn CD's? With the ipod, I download, I sync, I go. My time's pretty important and I don't want to waste it. Oh yea, even with a 6 disk changer in the car I'm still fiddling with CD's while I'm trying to drive because invaribly the one I want is not in the player. Where's the simplicy in that?
    Actually, you would be able to put 100's of songs on a CD in MP3 format. So, in technicality, fiddling around with CDs would be cut to a low point. Maybe when you got tired of listening to the 200-400 MP3s on the CD, would you actually change it.

Im not positive, so maybe I am wrong, but I don't think you have to convert MP3's to play on itunes/ipod. I downloaded the Marty B call of Dunns game winning grandslam and I'm almost postive that was MP3. I also already had a bunch of songs that I know are MP3 and they play just fine on itunes/ipod.

I am almost certain that iPods require an .acc format to play the file you want.

Sorry. Just not crazy about iPods, and you having to have their service and software to even put the music on the player.

I just prefer to have something that I know I don't have to stick with a certain service at all times....or I can put whatever format I want to on the MP3 player (Most MP3 players will now play WMA and most video files if video capable).
    Last edited by Rob Dicken; 08-02-2006 at 06:57 PM.

Turn Off Ads?