Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Loshe to start Sunday

Re: Loshe to start saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    One thing I've noticed is that over the last twenty years or so, the ethos of the Midwest and the South has become almost indistinguishable. I guess it's all those Yanks from the Midwest moving south to escape the winters.
    No doubt... I lived in SC in the mid 70's and spent a good part of the late 90's commuting back to Atlanta every month. The south changed because AC allowed folks to move there. (and baseball teams followed)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Or maybe it's having no humidity and a living in a town that creates a culture that promotes foot traffic?
    I'd say it's the second more than the first. People managed to be social in humid outdoor settings for millennia. People are doing it in PDX despite all that cloud cover. Pre-flood New Orleans never lacked people on the streets. It is possible for people to deal with weather.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    One thing I've noticed is that over the last twenty years or so, the ethos of the Midwest and the South has become almost indistinguishable. I guess it's all those Yanks from the Midwest moving south to escape the winters.
    Here in SWO, I've never been able to tell much difference due to the large numbers of Kentuckians, West Virginians, Tennesseans, etc. that moved here in the 30s, 40s.

Very few families are actually from here if you dig back more than 2 generations.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Pre-flood New Orleans never lacked people on the streets. It is possible for people to deal with weather.
    Ditto Savannah and Charleston... and not just tourists, even locals.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Here in SWO, I've never been able to tell much difference due to the large numbers of Kentuckians, West Virginians, Tennesseans, etc. that moved here in the 30s, 40s.

Very few families are actually from here if you dig back more than 2 generations.
    I know all about Briers. I spent my formative years listening to Sabbath and breaking into half-constructed houses to drink beer with them. Quite an education for this Yankee.

Yay!

The south changed because AC allowed folks to move there. (and baseball teams followed)
    Interesting thing about that is the large number of minor league teams that flourished (before the Astros, Rangers, Braves, Marlins, Rays) in the Deep South/Texas and continue to do so with the Texas League, Southern League, Carolina League, Sally League, and even the Appy League (if you consider that the Deep South).

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Interesting thing about that is the large number of minor league teams that flourished (before the Astros, Rangers, Braves, Marlins, Rays) in the Deep South/Texas and continue to do so with the Texas League, Southern League, Carolina League, Sally League, and even the Appy League (if you consider that the Deep South).
    Well the west coast leagues also florished at that time, I put it down as how distinct and seperate those parts of the country were prior to air travel, that's also why regional college football is still the monster it is in those areas. Years of no pro teams and the need to tie yourself to a sports institution. Why else do grown men put silly little flags outside their car windows on game day all fall?

Yay!

Why else do grown men put silly little flags outside their car windows on game day all fall?
    It's also a more common sight here in Big 10 country than some might think. I was surprised to see almost as many around here as I did while living in Nashville, Jackson MS, Columbia and Charleston. I've never seen anything like the 200 mile "parade" from Nashville to Knoxville on Friday evenings and Saturday mornings in the fall. Quite disturbing.

Without AC the south would still be barefoot and preggers, sitting on the porch drinking Dixie beer and cussing yankees.

You might not need it in Boston, but I wouldn't take Atlanta without it.
    Can't imagine what it would be like here in south Charlotte without AC. The summers here can be pretty brutal.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Can't imagine what it would be like here in south Charlotte without AC. The summers here can be pretty brutal.
    No doubt, I spent a summer living on Lake Wylie and I must have jumped in that puppy 2-3 times a day.

Re: Loshe to start Sunday

Along with A/C, 3 car garages with automatic openers haven't helped foster a sense of community either.

no more standing by the fence drinking a beeer (or lemonade) and talking to the neighbors b/c the "parlor" was too hot to have a sit in.

nope, it's drive the a/c car straight into the three car garage and have a martini in the "media room"

screw those guys down in the marketing department. that's what I say.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Without AC the south would still be barefoot and preggers, sitting on the porch drinking Dixie beer and cussing yankees.
    Yeah, nothing but a bunch of hicks until A/C was invented, that civilized us
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

"So Fla Red"

Don't forget to add cars, highways and increased income. People used to wander around their neighborhoods... oh wait strike "used to" they still do that here in PDX, maybe it is having no AC?

Or maybe it's having no humidity and a living in a town that creates a culture that promotes foot traffic?
    WOY -- Need to visit the NW part of town to find all the cool A/C. While walking around the West Hill neighborhoods (past all the construction equipment building new $500K+ homes on 3K sq foot lots), on a really hot day you can just feel the sound of all the newly installed A/Cs and neighborhood garage doors closing as the Lexus/BMWs are safely turned off for the night...

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I don't think he was suggesting that y'all are civilized, just that you're now inside.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    My grandfather was born in Alabama. I was even born in Appalachia, If anyone's a hick by relation it's me.

Turn Off Ads?