Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad, sad story: Pregnant woman dies at Fenway

Re: Sad, sad story: Pregnant woman dies at Fenway

The husband is a very strong individual. My prayers go out to him and his newborn son.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sad, senseless, stupid, infuriating...all of those an more.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    This is why they play night games. I wonder if the team had thought about moving the start time back to the the evening to let the temperature cool. Maybe MLB should look into recommeding that teams do that for day games where the temperature goes above a certain level. It's not like there are still ballparks without lights.
    To be perfectly honest, playing a night game doesn't make much difference at this time of the year. I believe the gametime temp in Cincinnati tonight was 91 or 92... and humid as all get out, making the heat index even higher.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    To be perfectly honest, playing a night game doesn't make much difference at this time of the year. I believe the gametime temp in Cincinnati tonight was 91 or 92... and humid as all get out, making the heat index even higher.
    I'm not a medical doctor or an expert in meteorology, but I thought that being in the sun also has a lot to do with the effects of such high temperatures. I seem to recall something from boy scout camp where they said that sitting in direct sunlight will get you to heat stroke much faster than high temperatures. Combine the two and it's bad news. From what I gather, this couple was out in the bleachers. Not exactly the best location for anyone in such weather.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Wow. What a story. Very sad.

Wow, that is sad.

I definitely have no right to call the guy's or girl's decision to go to the game stupid. My wife is due with our second son on the 20th of this month, and we took our son and two of my wife's friends to a game in early July against the Indians.

However, a couple innings in when she did not feel well either, we left her friends and went and sat in the air conditioned machine room for about 5 innings. Sure, I had to buy a lot of overpriced food to sit there that long, but now it seems worth it.

I will be thinking about that guy and his new son.

These kind of things make me both sad and mad.

Part of me feels like it was negligence on the part of the mother and then her husband. YOU DON'T GO TO A BALLGAME IN 90-100 DEGREE HEAT INDEX/TEMPERATURES WHEN YOU'RE PREGNANT. You just don't do that. Therefore I think they were negligent.

But I am sad that she died. Wow. 29 years old, beautiful and a so much to live for. This should never have happened. Another stupid, shouldn't have happened death.

When are people going to learn. Maybe I'm more mad than sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    This is why they play night games. I wonder if the team had thought about moving the start time back to the the evening to let the temperature cool. Maybe MLB should look into recommeding that teams do that for day games where the temperature goes above a certain level. It's not like there are still ballparks without lights.
    Actually, they play night games so more people can go to the games. But it is tough to reschedule some of these day games because a lot of these are getaway days for one or both teams. Let's say the Reds are playing the Marlins in Miami and it's an afternoon game. The next day is an afternoon game in Chicago. You switch that FLA game to a night game and the Reds won't be getting into CHI till 2-3 in the morning. Then they have to be at the park a couple 3 hours before the game.

It gets hot in the summer. It's always hot in the summer. It's unfortunate that woman died but she could have just as easy died from going to a park or doing some other sort of outside activity. It wasn't the fact it was a baseball game that killed her, it was the weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed
    Part of me feels like it was negligence on the part of the mother and then her husband. YOU DON'T GO TO A BALLGAME IN 90-100 DEGREE HEAT INDEX/TEMPERATURES WHEN YOU'RE PREGNANT. You just don't do that. Therefore I think they were negligent.

But I am sad that she died. Wow. 29 years old, beautiful and a so much to live for. This should never have happened. Another stupid, shouldn't have happened death.

When are people going to learn. Maybe I'm more mad than sad.
    You can't make generalizations like that. Plenty of women that are 7 months pregnant have been outside all day in similiar conditions and lived. It's not as if she deliberately put herself in harms way. Pretty callous to call them stupid, IMO.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan
    I'm not sure if this is the forum for this discussion but for the mother to choose between her own life and the baby's. omg My prayers go out to the father and his son for the rest of their lives.

could this guy ever go back to a ball game again???
    Just how did the mother make this choice? Wasn't she unconscious?

Does anyone have a link to the story instead of the video? I cant get it to play on my PC for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    You can't make generalizations like that. Plenty of women that are 7 months pregnant have been outside all day in similiar conditions and lived. It's not as if she deliberately put herself in harms way. Pretty callous to call them stupid, IMO.

Well, obviously my anger comes from the fact that SHE DIED. Duh. She didn't have to.

Heck, they tell average citizens to stay out of the heat when it gets this bad, so what would you expect a doctor to tell a pregnant woman? I'm sure you think they'd tell her to head to the desert and march across it with her winter coat on.

This is common sense. And if my wife was pregnant, I wouldn't be taking her to a MLB game in 90 plus degree heat with a heat index over 100. But that's just me..........maybe I'm a total idiot and we should all wait to take our pregnant wives when the heat index gets over 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Actually, they play night games so more people can go to the games. But it is tough to reschedule some of these day games because a lot of these are getaway days for one or both teams.
    In this particular instance, it was the Fox Saturday game. I can't remember a game being rescheduled because of extremely hot weather, but it might not be a terrible idea. Last night, they had free water booths and misters set up at Fenway, it's a shame they didn't have them Saturday, or, if they did, that this happened anyway. It's a terrible tragedy, but perhaps it can be used to teach people how dangerous all kinds of extreme weather can be. We forget so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    In this particular instance, it was the Fox Saturday game. I can't remember a game being rescheduled because of extremely hot weather, but it might not be a terrible idea. Last night, they had free water booths and misters set up at Fenway, it's a shame they didn't have them Saturday, or, if they did, that this happened anyway. It's a terrible tragedy, but perhaps it can be used to teach people how dangerous all kinds of extreme weather can be. We forget so easily.
    Yeah, I saw that after reading the article. It's a shame that happened but it was preventable. I don't blame the Sox or Fox or MLB. Like I said, in summer it gets hot in July and August. There are heat waves almost every year. It's not like it was something that hardly ever happens. Every time something like this (heat wave, snow storm, etc) people act like this has never happened before and they don't know what to do.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?