Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barry Larkin's HOF chances

Re: Barry Larkin's HOF chances

Here's another factor to consider. It's not necessarily fair, but it's the way things work. Barry retired in 2004, right ? Were there any other HOF candidates that retired that year. I can't recall any, but that doesn't mean that there weren't any.

It seems that when the 2004-2005 guys become eligible, Barry is going to stick out as a no brainer. Let's face it, they want to induct 1-2 guys every year so they get the publicity from the HOF. I think Barry is definitely in. Some lame writers probably won't vote for him on first ballot (never understood why that was such a special honor ) but I expect him to get in on the 2nd or 3rd ballot.

To me, the guy isn't even borderline. Look at recent inductees: Sutter, Kirby Puckett, etc. You can't deny Larkin based on the guys that they've recently let in.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    I was agreeing with you. What is it about Larkin's '96 stats that you are curious about?

Rem

BTW, I lived in Studio City for about 12 years before I moved to Newport. Nice area. I liked it.
    lol yeah i noticed you were newport beach..did u go to the surfing comp last weekend? what is the name of the "GAMES" being held? i was suppose to go but i bailed

anyways, i was born and raised in ohio. good to see reds fans out here Are you a native ohioan too?

and to answer your question:

Larkin stats:

1995 BA .319 HR 15 RBI 66 SB 51 (131 games played)
    1996 BA .298 HR 33 RBI 89 SB 36 (152 games played)
    1997 BA .317 HR 4 RBI 20 SB 14 (73 games played)

1995 was an Average year for larkin (based on his stats the previous 8 years)

then in 1996 he played the most games of his career (up to that point--although noticed larkin only played over 160 games once in his entire career and never a full 162) and doubled his homerun average.

it looks bad considering the times and what everyone else was doing

jsut saying its strange thats all not accusing

I believe Larkin was moved lower in the lineup that year, and asked to be more of a driver of runs than a tablesetter. I think that is when a lot of the discussion about whether he should lead off or bat third started.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I just checked the Hall of Fame sight to look at who else will be in his class (that should be 2009, right?). They don't even list him (albeit with the caveat that it's not a complete list and it doesn't guarantee entry into the Hall). I was honked off enough that I emailed them and pointed out the oversight.

Here's the list:

2009: Mark Grace, Rickey Henderson, Dean Palmer, Dan Plesac, Matt Williams
    2010: Andres Galarraga, Edgar Martinez, Robin Ventura
    The only lock for first ballot entry in 2009 is Henderson, I don't think the others get a sniff. The following year, I think Gallaraga and E. Martinez get some votes, but not enough to get elected. They break out sort of like Larkin on the baseball-reference.com HOF watch.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 08-03-2006 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    I believe Larkin was moved lower in the lineup that year, and asked to be more of a driver of runs than a tablesetter. I think that is when a lot of the discussion about whether he should lead off or bat third started.
    He was moved down from #2, He had a fair percentage of AB's in the leadoff position, but in 95 he moved back to #3, where he had been most of 91-93. The nmajority of his lifetime at bats are in #3

Speaking of the Scooter, Bill James book What ever Became of the Hall of Fame uses him as the case study for what's wrong with the HOF.

So I'd pass on using him as the litmus test, he doesn't belong there.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Speaking of the Scooter, Bill James book What ever Became of the Hall of Fame uses him as the case study for what's wrong with the HOF.

So I'd pass on using him as the litmus test, he doesn't belong there.
    I agree that Rizzuto doesn't belong in the HOF, but in fairness I believe that James moved him up in his rankings in his revised Historical Baseball Abstract. In the original Historical Abstract, I think James had Dave Concepcion roughly even with Pee Wee Reese in his shortstop rankings, and ahead of Rizzuto, while in the revised Abstract Rizzuto was ranked ahead of Concepcion.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I meant games played. His injuries kept him from having the requisite counting stats.
    I think if Barry had enjoyed a healthier career he would make it but as it stands, I think he falls a little short.

Ozzie Smith deserves it in my book because his defense was stellar in the (arguably) most important defensive position on the field. He didn't embarass himself offensively either but clearly Ozzie gets in for his defense, not his offensive stats.

I agree that too many marginal players are getting in but I'd use Phil Rizzuto or 2B Bill Mazeroski as examples.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I meant games played. His injuries kept him from having the requisite counting stats.
    Larkin's "counting stats" compare well to those of Ozzie Smith. Ozzie leads Barry in games, 2573-2180, at bats, 9396-7937, hits, 2460-2340, and steals, 580-379, but Barry leads in about everything else: Runs, 1329-1257, RBI, 960-793, doubles, 441-402, triples, 76-69, total bases, 3527-3084, and home runs, 198-28 (yeah, 198 to 28!).
    Barry also has a healthy lead in batting average, .295-.262, on-base percentage, .371-.339, and slugging percentage, .444-.328.
    Barry Larkin was a better shortstop and is more deserving of induction into the Hall of Fame than Ozzie Smith.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?