Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could the Red Sox be desperate enough to want LaRue?

Could the Red Sox be desperate enough to want LaRue?

With Veritek on the shelf for at least a few weeks (knee surgery) the Sox are in some serious trouble behind the plate. Mirabelli is now the starter, which isn't too bad, but the guy they just called up sounds awful. From espn.com:

"Mirabelli started Tuesday and Ken Huckaby was called up from Triple-A Pawtucket to take Varitek's roster spot. Huckaby was hitting .207 with two homers and 16 RBI in 68 games with Pawtucket."

OK, so the kid from AAA with the terrible stats still has better stats than LaRue. LOL. But maybe we can trick the Red Sox into thinking they need a veteran that talks to himself before striking out. And we know he would breeze through waivers since he is paid about 10x his worth.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could the Red Sox be desperate enough to want LaRue?

I have always been a LaRue fan. I would think the BOSOX would take a look at him.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

As I understand the waiver rules, because the Sox were leading the division as of yesterday, the Yankees are in front of them in the waiver claim order. They might try to block every breathing catcher on the wire.

Which makes one wonder if Krivsky would say "He's yours. Thanks for taking next year's salary off my hands, guys."
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2
    I have always been a LaRue fan. I would think the BOSOX would take a look at him.
    I don't know. With Abreu going to the Yankees though, thet may feel the need to make a move.

If someone would claim LaRue , the Reds let the claiming team have him.

Quote Originally Posted by redbuck
    OK, so the kid from AAA with the terrible stats still has better stats than LaRue. LOL. But maybe we can trick the Red Sox into thinking they need a veteran that talks to himself before striking out. And we know he would breeze through waivers since he is paid about 10x his worth.
    Huckaby is a veteran, he's the guy who collided with Derek Jeter a few years back and knocked him onto the DL for a while. So, you guys tell me, why didn't the Red Sox call up the other catcher they have in AAA, the one who's hitting .242/.344/.492 with 7 HRs in July, Corky Miller?

Whoa, wow you guys must want to get rid of Larue pretty badly. There are like 6 threads mentioning Varitek's injury on the board! How bad is that contract, anyway?
    Last edited by blumj; 08-01-2006 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    Whoa, wow you guys must want to get rid of Larue pretty badly. There are like 6 threads mentioning Varitek's injury on the board! How bad is that contract, anyway?

It was $9 million and change over two years (this and next) heavily backloaded into the 2nd year. My recollection is at least $5 million for next year and probably something more like $5.25.

Earlier in the year it was rumored the Reds were offering to pay half of this year for anybody to take him but nobody would bite because of the backload. My guess is that any one who puts in a claim on the waiver wire is going to get him for the waiver price. If you were the Yankees, it would just be the ultimate block I suppose.

I'd rather not add dumping Larue for nothing to the number of stupid moves made at the deadline.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

not gonna happen. ken huckabay is a solid vet catcher.

larue costs too much for what he produces. nobody wants that stupid contract.

nobody.

At this point You've got to keep Larue. He can't hit but he's still the best defensive catcher on this team.If we're lucky enough to be in this thing down the stretch then this team will need all the depth it can get.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I think the Yanks would block the Redsox trying to obtain a catcher. Even if the catcher made 5+ Mill next season.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    I think the Yanks would block the Redsox trying to obtain a catcher. Even if the catcher made 5+ Mill next season.
    They can't, if the Red Sox are willing to make a claim. The Yankees moved into 1st place after last night's games. Besides, how many catchers can they risk getting stuck with, are they going to claim Lieberthal, Molina, and Lopez, too? I don't think they really want to risk winding up spending $20+ million dollars for catchers they can't possibly carry on their roster, just to prevent the Red Sox from getting someone who, in some cases, might hit just a little better than Doug Mirabelli.
    Last edited by blumj; 08-02-2006 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vic715
    At this point You've got to keep Larue. He can't hit but he's still the best defensive catcher on this team.If we're lucky enough to be in this thing down the stretch then this team will need all the depth it can get.
    I dont get to see many Reds games this year, I just read or catch highlights after the fact. That said, if Larue is our best defensive catcher, no wonder our pitching staff has had so many troubles!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    then they could have him and the contract. It has really reached the point where Larue is worthless to the Reds because a) he is way too expensive and b) he is unlikely to get enough ABs to turn it around.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    They can't, if the Red Sox are willing to make a claim. The Yankees moved into 1st place after last night's games. Besides, how many catchers can they risk getting stuck with, are they going to claim Lieberthal, Molina, and Lopez, too? I don't think they really want to risk winding up spending $20+ million dollars for catchers they can't possibly carry on their roster, just to prevent the Red Sox from getting someone who, in some cases, might hit just a little better than Doug Mirabelli.
    I guess we'll see.... For what it's worth, I don't believe the waiver claim order changes on a daily basis. From what I'd read somewhere, the order is fixed based on the previous season's record up until July 31, and then the July 31 standings determines the order from August 1 through season's end. I'll see if I can find anything to verify or contradict it.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?