Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Olmedo should at least get a shot at some point

Olmedo should at least get a shot at some point

I guess Olmedo doesn't rank too high in the eyes of this current regime. With Lopez gone, and nothing but Castro and Clayton filling shortstop, I would like to see Olmedo at least get a shot at some point. He's been hitting well in AAA, and the guy's a pretty good fielder, so why not? We no what we get with Castro and Clayton, but maybe Olmedo could surprise us? I know I'm desperate here...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Olmedo

Considering the alternatives, IMO it definitely should be worth a shot. However, that likely won't happen barring an injury to Castro/Clayton.

this regime loves mediocre "veterans" losers who have experience

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport
    this regime loves mediocre "veterans" losers who have experience
    "Losers" may be a little too strong. I doubt if the guys who played in the World Series with Aurilia think he is a loser.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    "Losers" may be a little too strong. I doubt if the guys who played in the World Series with Aurilia think he is a loser.
    I kinda forgot about the 2002 Giants and the run they made in spite of Dusty Baker. I remember Ryan Jensen thinking he was going to be decent, and I think he's in Omaha this year.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Re: Olmedo should at least get a shot at some point

I would love to see Ray Ray with the big club. Might get a shot out of spring training next year, but will not see any time this year other than Sept callup to pinch run.
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

If things don't go so well between now and 9/3 when the team wraps its west coast swing in San Diego, I assume Olmedo will be the starting SS for the bulk of September.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

BP should be the SS. Try THAT first, then Olmedo.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Couldn't agree more. He's hitting and fielding well in AAA. Maybe he doesn't have the tools, but it's all the same criteria that got Denorfia such a bandwagon of fans and the shot up here.....even though he's just a water boy at present.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Olmedo > Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    BP should be the SS. Try THAT first, then Olmedo.
    I could live with that. BP at SS and Olmedo at 2B perhaps? Let's hope things are still going well at the end of August and this is a moot point anyway.

I'm still worried that they may try and do something like trade for Jack Wilson, especially since the Pirates were giving guys away for nothing.

I would have rather had Wells than Lohse.

Ranier has done well for us this year in his limited at bats. I would much rather see him out there than Clayton.

Roster glue

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    I'm still worried that they may try and do something like trade for Jack Wilson, especially since the Pirates were giving guys away for nothing.

I would have rather had Wells than Lohse.
    At least Wilson's defense is actual over the theoretical leather Clayton brings. Not that I want Wilson; that contract is ugly.

On Olmedo, in my opinion, it still boils down to whether Bowden asked us if we would take on Clayton, or if Krivs thought Clayton was a piece with value that strengthened the return in the trade. I'm hoping Clayton bucks 16 seasons and 10 teams of history and plays well, but if Krivsky asked after Clayton when a case could easily be made that Olmedo has a better glove and stick, then that to me raises serious questions regarding the talent eval in this front office. At this point I think it is legitimate to question whether Ray will get a real chance (assuming M2's scenario of the Reds falling out of it doesn't come to pass, of course)...but the good news for him is that his only impediment at shortstop is Brandon Phillips, who is playing another position.

That said, I do wish to say I like how WK has overhauled the roster--most of my quibbles are relatively minor--and I think once he finishes turning over the dead weight in the front office we will be able to produce (and TRUST) our own home-grown talent.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

What's the consensus on Olmedo's glove?
    I think he can hit a little (and is a SH, IIRC)...can he pick?
    Any Bats fans out there?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?