Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Andruw Jones Placed On Waivers???

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Andruw Jones Placed On Waivers???

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    I've always wished that they'd release the names of players that clear waivers completely and those that do not. I've never seen what harm that would cause, especially if players already understand that everyone will go on waivers
    I'm sure "the union" has some "good" reason for it. Please note the quotes around the word good.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

2. Turn Off Ads?

See I don't get what happens though if he passes through waivers.... Hypothetically speaking if that deal was the case Encarnacion would also have to pass through for that to happen, right? Or else you could bend the rules so much that the July 31st deadline would be insignificant. But minor leaguers... are they all elidgeable to be traded?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    I'm sure "the union" has some "good" reason for it. Please note the quotes around the word good.
    This is probably one of those instances where management and the union are in agreement. GMs don't want a detailed list out there of who they could have traded for and didn't. Players don't want a detailed list out there of who wasn't even worth a waiver claim.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    I'd venture to say that most people don't know all the ins and outs. I never knew about the waiver-wire thing until I started visiting this board.
    Yeah, but you're a D&D geek.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Nice
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    I find it "stunning" that we have this come up every year. I know there are people who are new to the game and do not know all the ins and outs but the number of people who do not know this is amazing to me.
    The Eagle Tribune is not really a big time paper. It serves Lawrence, North Andover some other small towns near the New Hampshire border. This isn't a writer from one of the major papers, The Boston Globe or The Boston Herald so he could be a kid out of college who just worked his way out of the obits.
    Last edited by Spitball; 08-03-2006 at 06:10 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Well actually there are benefits of a public waiver list, or at least players knowing. Say for instance Eric Milton.... He has a clause in his contract that if he wants he can be a free agent after this year. Say for instance he was pitching well right now- like 10-7 with a 4.25 ERA.... If he slipped through waivers it says that he is overpaid basically and in the midst of a penant race even there was no intest in his services at a rate of 10M a year. So likewise if he finds out he has no interest via waivers for that rate he can make the decision to take the player option for 2007 (which he obviously will), because I mean if no one wants him right now in the playoff race then a snow balls chance in hell someone would give him the same or more money even as a free agent. Now say he was claimed and the Reds took him back then he is obviously valuable and being a free agent someone would most definately overpay for his services in the offseason. The three outcomes- claim then take off...slip through... and claimed and taken by another team tell a lot about a player's value and the eventual free agent interest in them.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm sure the players end up knowing if they went through waivers. That doesn't mean they want to read it in the newspaper.
    Not all who wander are lost

Wasnt the last high profile player claimed during waivers randy myers? Seems I remember san diego (??) claiming him to prevent him going to another contender.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by LexingtonRedsFan
    Wasnt the last high profile player claimed during waivers randy myers? Seems I remember san diego (??) claiming him to prevent him going to another contender.
    Yes, and then getting stuck with his contract.

Wasn't that one of the reasons they had to move Greg Vaughn?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Yes, and then getting stuck with his contract.

Wasn't that one of the reasons they had to move Greg Vaughn?
    I dont remember the vaughn move, but I remember Myers was useless to them and seems they owed him money the following season and I dont believe he ever pitched for them....

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LexingtonRedsFan
    I dont remember the vaughn move, but I remember Myers was useless to them and seems they owed him money the following season and I dont believe he ever pitched for them....

That does ring a bell. I'm sure LINEDRIVER can do the research on that.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

SD claimed Randall K to block him from going to Atlanta and the Cubs (i belive) just said, OK, he's yours instead of pulling him back.

While SD prevented ATL from getting him, they did get stuck with the albatros of a contract for RKM.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

He cleared waivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?